Search for content in message boards

Descendants of Valentine Mayo

Nancy (View posts)
Posted: 5 Oct 2006 7:22PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: SPARKS, HAGER, JAYNE, RAMEY, REMY, COLLINS, MUSICK, WALKER, PORTER, MAYO
The following is under copyright, but all or part of it may be used for personal genealogy research without asking for permission. Should you wish to copy something to a newsletter or anything which will be sold, please e-mail for permission.

I will be moving to WV and will likely be off line for the next 3 to 4 weeks so am sending this now and will get to any responses/requests as soon as I am settled. This e-dress will remain active. The following is in outline descendant form with some notes following some of the names. Sources are listed at the bottom of this post:

By Nancy Lou Sparks Morrison
Descendants of this family include the author, Nancy Lou Sparks Morrison. I have removed the dates for those members of my family who are still living. They are available to established family by writing to me:
Nancy Sparks Morrison
e-mailing me at: nmorri3924@aol.com

This is my family genealogy but it includes brothers and sisters, aunts and uncles of my main line. I have been researching this family for over 30 years both in person, at the archives and county court houses and on the internet. I first compiled the beginnings of this account in 1997, but I was the child who listened as the grown folks spoke of just who married who and when and where and who died and why. I remember much, but much has been lost to history since it was not written down until in the 1950s thru 1960s.

I want to preserve this research for future generations and so I begin to relate the story of my mother's people.

My grandfather Mayo was proud of his family but he didn't speak much of it. I learned more about it from his wife Elizabeth Margaret Carey Mayo as she told some of her family's stories as well. But I had to research to find the beginnings of this family history as they had been lost to both of them.

The Mayo line so far as I have now found it, begins with one Valentine Mayo, my 5th great grandfather. There are speculations as to his parents. I will not deal with them here, but perhaps in a later edition:
1 Valentine Mayo b: 1670 d: October 05, 1716 in , Middlesex Co., Virginia Sex: Male
Death date: Christ Church Parish Records, Christ Church, Virginia

The earliest known records for Valentine Mayo dates back to May 7, 1686. He witnessed a will in Middlesex, VA. Some have thought that Valentine was originally from Barbadoes but proof of this is lacking. He bought a tract of land in Middlesex Co., VA in 1706. It is believed that Valentine was a tailor or perhaps a sailmaker or both. Reportedly he was killed by Indians.
On the 25th of April , 1702, Valentine acquired 39 acres of land in Middlesex. This land was said to be adjacent to land of Thomas Obrisell dec'd, John Stamper dec'd, and Henry Tugwell. It was located by Michelburrough's SW, just above the horse bridge, on land of John Bourke, dec'd.
On 2nd September , 1704, Middlesex Co., VA: Valentine Mayo acquired land from John Stone and his wife May. This is shown in Virginia Quit Rent Rolls, 1704, Middlesex, VA (100acres)
Valentine Mayo died intestate, and his property descended to James Mayo, his son.
This is a modern transcription from a photo positive of the assets of Valentine Mayo's estate. Not everything was readable and spaces or question marks show this:
Assets of the Estate of VALENTINE MAYO, dated March 30, 1717
by: ANNE (widow) administratix
Mayos application in obedience of an order of Court does(?) the subscriber hath appraised the Estate of Valentine Mayo, deceased, in money currant on the 30th of March 1717 as forthwith. Viz:
Steers at 2@5?0 p0 ea
10 cows at 2.0 p2 50 ea
8 year olds (yearlings?)at
1 horse
15 sheep at 6p 2s ea
1557 lb tobacco at 16p/bndl
1 bed & covering at
a good furniture at
a good covering at
a suit of clothes at
2 hats at
19-1/4 yds lining(?) at 9p/yd
20-1/2 yds fabric at 16p/yd
19-1/4 yds elcocrl(?) lining at
4 yds Cantinal(?) 19p/yd
3-1/2 yds lining at 8p/yd
20-1/3 yds Canbis at lOp/yd is
9 yds of plaid at lOp/yd
2 drinking glases at
1 pt of malt (?)illord at
13(?) glass bottles at
2 gowns at
1 bags(?) land "astick" (plow?)
17 lb of wool at 4p Os ea
1 frying pan at
Some old iron ware at
2 pair of wool cords(?) at
Some wooden ware at-:2:6
2 pails at
a spinning wheel at
1 fidor cash at
a cross cut saw at
3 warm(?) coats(?)
7-1/3 yds of half hitch at lOp/yd
20(?)-1/3 of plaid at lOp/yd
Brought over ?
1 knife & hooks(?) at
9 yds cordory(?) at 2p/yd 1 brace(?) of salt(?)
Mohare & buttons at 1 urn posil(?) at
55 yds of stuff(ing?) at 8p/yd sum old urns at
39 yds stuff at 7p/yd 1 pair of shears at
1/2 pound(?) three at Smoothing iron
1/2 pound(?) three at Some old books at
2 chests at
Brought over a saddle & bridle at
2 combs at 1 Curb bridle at
1 trunk at 1 snaffel bridle at
10 yds of hunchaback at lSp/yd
2 table cloths at carpentry tools at
3 pliabers(pliers?) at 3 pair satchels & ahone(?)
ditto at Sword & belt at
33-1/2 lbs of new pewter(?) 500 singletons(nails?)
38-1/2 lbs of old pewter(?)
1 tankard at 2 old forms(?) at
some old pewter(?) at John Williams his bill at
a parcel of earthenware at
Note: ? 1/20 = 1 shilling = 12 pence
Assets of the Estate of VALENTINE MAYO, dated March 30, 171?
By: ANNE (widow), administratrix
To John Curtis his bill at 1557 over-leaf
to money in cash made yourself of/by Ann (sic.) Mayo the widow of Mayo deceased
a free(?) aforementioned and enumerated by
As a courtesy w:
(signed) John Batch's ???? (0-? / 1940 circled) (signed) Henry T(?)ugel(?) (oc... js(?)... circled)
I loved reading this list and trying to 'see' how Valentine and his family must have lived. Why would some of these things be listed such as the gowns? So many of the things in this list are unknowable to us today but were of value to Valentine in his.
At a court held for Middlesex County the 7th day of May 1717 this inventory & aforementioned of the Estate of Valentine Mayo deceased being returned by Anne Mayo administratrix it was admitted to record
(signed) Lestr(?) R Hickman DC & Cur... (?)
Total Inventory was worth an unreadable amount.
MIDDLESEX COUNTY WILLS:
Valentine Mayo. Inventory.
30 March 1717.
This inventory was appraised by Ja. Curtise,Jur., John Batchelder and Henry Tugel. This was returned the 7th of May 1717 by Ann Mayo, his wife who was his Administratrix. Valentine's wife was Ann Mickelburrough.

.... +Ann Mickelburrough b: 1670 m: November 14, 1710 in Middlesex, Virginia d: 1743 in Caroline County, VA Sex: Female Father: Edmund Mickelburrough Mother: Elizabeth Minor
Anne Mickelburrough, my 5th great grandmother, was widowed twice before she married Valentine Mayo. First she married John Burk or Bourke, spelled variously and second she married James Jordan.
The Virginia Genealogist, April through June of 1963 , Vol. # 7, No. 2 lists the following facts:
Valentine Mayo married Anne, widow of James Jordan on 14 November, 1710.
James Jordan had married 23 February, 1704/5 Anne, widow of John Burke who died before the 3rd of January, 1701/02.
Anne had married John Burk some time after January 18, 1686/87 which was the death date of his wife Mary Burk.
Valentine Mayo died in Middlesex County, Virginia, Oct 5th, 1716. Ann Mayo, his widow died in Caroline County in 1743. Her will was presented at the July 1744 Court by the executor James Mayo and proved by witnesses Robert Williamson and John Williamson who were sureties on his bond.
The children of Valentine Mayo and Ann Mickelburrough were:

... 2 Sarah Mayo Sex: Female
... 2 Elizabeth Mayo Sex: Female
......... +Richard George m: April 20, 1734 Sex: Male
... 2 James Mayo b: December 11, 1711 in , Middlesex, Virginia d: March 13, 1776 in prob. Caroline, Virginia Sex: Male
James Mayo is my 4th great grandfather.
According to the original Register of Christ Church Parish, Christ Church, Virginia, James Mayo was baptized on January 13, 1712.
From Albemarle County,Virginia comes the following:
Will of James Mayo
In the name of God Amen, I James Mayo of the County of Albermarle and Parish of St. Annes, being of sound, perfect and disposing mind & memory do make this my last will & testament in manner and form as followeth. It is my desire that my body be decently interred at the discretion of my executors hereafter mentioned, and as for the estate I possess, it is my desire that all my just debts be paid first, and the whole remaining consisting of what kind it will be it real or personal, I desire my wife may possess, inherit & enjoy, so long as she remains my widow, but if she intermarries, I desire that my whole estate in her possession, may go according to the division hereafter mentioned. My desire is that my son Joseph Mayo, may have one hundred acres of my land whereon he now liveth after the death or marriage of my wife, and that it be land of ajoining Jno.Hancock, Robt Napier & William Bradshaw, provided he the said Joseph do continue on the land, and look well to the business during the natural life or widowhood of my wife, but provided he shou'd leave the business of his own will, or behave in such a sort as my wife or execrs. should have cause to turn him away, then the said land shall turn into the division of my estate, My will is that my daughter, Martha Mayo, now Martha Ladd, have one negroe girl named Jane, and her increase after the death or marriage of my wife to her and her heirs forever, also one feather bed and furniture to be raised out of my estate at the discretion of my wife. My will is that my daughter, Mary Mayo, have one negroe girl named Sarah, and her increase after the death or marriage of my wife to her and her heirs forever. Also one feather bed and furniture to be raised out of my estate at the discretion of my wife. My will is that my son, Benjamin Mayo, one feather bed and furniture to be raised out of myestate at the discretion of my wife. And my will is that my son, Stephen Mayo, have one feather bed and furniture to be raised out ofmy estate at the discretion of my wife. My will is that my Grand-daughters Martha Williamson Williams, and Mary Ann Williams, one equal part between them with those hereafter mentioned, & if either of them shou'd die without lawful heir, that the other shou'd have her part, & if both should die without lawful heirs, that then both their parts shall come into the division of my estate, My will is that the remaining part of my estate both real and personal, which may or shall be at my wife's decease or marriage, be equally divided between my sons, Valentine Mayo, James Mayo, John Mayo, Robert Mayo, Jacob Mayo, Williamson Mayo, Joseph Mayo, Thomas Mayo, Richard George Mayo, Benjamin Mayo, Stephen Mayo, to them and their heirs for ever, but if either of these my children shou'd die without lawful heir that their part or parts so dieing, be equally divided amongst the survivors, I do appoint John Williamson, Executor, with my loving wife Executrix and I do hereby revoke & make void, any other will or wills by me heretofore made in witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand & seal This Twenty first day of February in the year of our Lord One Thousand Seven hundred & Seventy Six.
Sign'd Seal'd Publis'd & declared
In presence of
John Hancock, Wm. Hancock
Lewis Hancock, William |X| Bradshaw
James Mayo {L.S.}
At Albemarle March court 1777
This will was proved by the oath of John Hancock and William Bradshaw witnesses hereto & ordered to be recorded, and when the motion of John Williamson & Martha Mayo, who made oath according to law, Certificate was granted them for obtaining a probate in due form, whereupon they gave bond & Security and acknowledged it accordingly.
Test
John Nicholas Cetk
......... +Ruth Underwood b: 1710 m: Abt. 1732 d: February 06, 1733/34 in , Middlesex Co., Virginia Sex: Female
From the Virginia Genealogist, April through June, 1963; Volume 7 No. 2, Ruth died four days after the birth of her son Valentine. Christ Church Parish, Christ Church, VA Records show that Ruth died February 6, 1734.

......... 3 Valentine Mayo b: February 02, 1733/34 in , Middlesex Co., Virginia d: February 07, 1793 in , Wilkes Co., Georgia Sex: Male
............... +Ann Patterson m: 1759 Sex: Female
............... 4 Ruth Mayo b: Abt. 1770 in , Goochland, Virginia d: 1816 in , Patrick, Virginia Sex: Female

... The 2nd Wife of James Mayo is my fourth great grandmother. Her name was Martha Williamson:

......... +Martha Williamson b: February 21, 1716/17 in , Fluvanna, Virginia m: Abt. 1756 d: August 27, 1794 in , Fluvanna, Virginia Sex: Female Father: Robert Williamson, Jr Mother: Elizabeth Minor
One side of Martha Williamson's family line is of interest here. It is recorded as the following:
(Direct Descendants of Meindort Doodes
Meindort Doodes was a Dutch sea captain who settled in Virginia.

1 Meindort Doodes b: Abt. 1617 in Netherlands (no proof at this time) d: 1677 in VA Sex: Male
. +Mary Unknown d: January 09, 1686/87 Sex: Female
. 2 Doodes Minor b: Abt. 1641 in VA d: Abt. 1695 in VA Sex: Male
The story given for the surname change says that in those days the term junior for a son named after his father was not used. Instead the terms major and minor were used. This is an interesting explanation for the change in surnames. Both Meindort Doodes and Doodes Minor were naturalized in court papers.
..... +Elizabeth Unknown d: 1708 Sex: Female
.... 3 Minor Minor b: Abt. 1672 d: November 30, 1716 Sex: Male
........ +Alice George b: December 04, 1671 m: Bet. 1698 - 1699 Sex: Female Father: David George Mother: Mary Unknown
....... 4 Elizabeth Minor Sex: Female
........... +Robert Williamson, Jr Sex: Male
.......... 5 Martha Williamson b: February 21, 1716/17 in , Fluvanna, Virginia d: August 27, 1794 in , Fluvanna, Virginia Sex: Female }
Doodes or Doodas, both pronounced as Do-dahs is listed as a common Jewish name.
The children of James Mayo and Martha Williamson were:
......... 3 John Mayo b: September 14, 1736 in , Middlesex Co., Virginia d: September 24, 1736 in , Middlesex Co., Virginia Sex: Male
......... 3 James Mayo b: August 16, 1738 in , Middlesex Co., Virginia d: June 04, 1821 in , Albemarle Co., Virginia Sex: Male
............... +Mary Plant m: 1774 in , Albemarle, Virginia Sex: Female
......... 3 John Mayo b: April 29, 1740 in , Fairfield Co., Virginia d: 1817 in , Fairfield Co., Virginia Sex: Male
............... +Elizabeth Richardson m: 1765 in Fairview, Tennessee Sex: Female
......... 3 Ann Nancy Mayo b: Abt. 1741 in , Middlesex Co., Virginia d: Bef. February 21, 1776 Sex: Female
............... +William Williams m: October 25, 1763 Sex: Male
......... 3 Robert Mayo b: 1743 in , Middlesex Co., Virginia d: 1823 in Chester District, South Carolina Sex: Male
............... +Margaret Richardson Sex: Female Father: Richard Richardson
......... 3 Jacob Mayo b: August 01, 1744 in , Middlesex Co., Virginia d: November 29, 1813 in , Fluvanna, Virginia Sex: Male
............... +Susanna Isabel m: January 02, 1768 in St. James North, Goochland, Virginia Sex: Female
......... 3 Joseph Mayo b: Abt. 1748 in , Middlesex, Virginia d: 1814 in , Fluvanna County, Virginia Sex: Male
On June 1st 1782, Joesph Mayo, my 3rd great grandfather, received a land grant from Augusta County, Virginia for 80 acres on the Cowpasture River waters and adjoining a tract of his own land on the Southside. Grant G. 1782-83, p. 15
On May 27th, 1802 from a Land Grant # 50 Fluvanna, Virginia, Joseph was given 48 acres adjoining land of John Napier and David Ross & Co. It is interesting that the Napier name appears again later on in this genealogy with a marriage into the Mayos by the Napier line.
Joseph Mayo was an attorney at law. He was a 2nd Lt. during the American Revolutionary War from Fluvanna Co., Virginia according to the DAR Patriot Index. In 1739 he left one hundred acres in his will. He married Jean 'Jenny' Richardson, my 3rd great grandmother.

............... +Jean 'Jenny' Richardson b: Abt. 1752 in , Fluvanna County, Virginia m: January 01, 1773 in Fluvanna, VA Sex: Female Father: Richard Richardson Mother: Ann Thompson.
The children of Joseph Mayo and Jean 'Jenny' Richardson were:

............... 4 Patty (Martha) Mayo b: February 21, 1774 Sex: Female
..................... +Joseph Bradshaw m: December 28, 1793 Sex: Male
............... 4 Mourning Mayo b: 1775 d: Aft. 1813 Sex: Female
..................... +John W. Mayo m: December 03, 1798 in , Albemarle, Virginia Sex: Male Father: James Mayo
............... 4 James Glenn Mayo b: March 21, 1776 in , Fluvanna County, Virginia d: Aft. 1860 in Wayne Co. , WV Sex: Male
James Glenn Mayo was my 2nd great grandfather. Hand written family records of children of James Glenn Mayo and Winifred Johnson were passed through their son, Henry J, through his daughter, Emily C, through her dau. Mabel, to Carl Seager the father of Jan St. John who graciously provided notes for the following: .
James Glenn Mayo was born March 21st, 1776 in Goochland County, Virginia, the 3rd child and first son of Joseph Mayo and Jean Richardson. His older sisters were twins born 1774. His grandfather, James Mayo had died 8 days earlier, 13 March, 1776. The Mayo's apparently lived on land that fell into Fluvanna County when it was formed in 1778. His grandfather's will was probated in Albemarle County, but administered in Fluvanna. The will left James' father, Joseph Mayo, 100 acres upon which he was living.
James Glenn Mayo married Winifred Johnson in Fluvanna County in June 1815. The minister recorded the marriage in the courthouse 6 Nov 1815.
James Glenn Mayo served in the 12th Virginia Militia which mustered in Fluvanna County, Virginia under command of Major William Armistead, Colonel John Cocke in the War of 1812. He served as Lieutenant, along with his cousin, Lt. Valentine Mayo, according to the hand written Dailey Order Book of the regiment, kept by Lt. Mayo from March 1813 through August 1813. Their locations were Camp Holly Spring and Camp Randolph. Tucked into the Order Book there is written verification from the office of the Adjutant General, Richmond, Virginia that James G. Mayo was commissioned Captain of the 12th Regiment , Virginia Miltia Dec. 27, 1830 in Richmond, and that he is the James G. Mayo who lived in Wayne Co. Virginia (West Virginia).
It is thought that James G. Mayo moved to Cabell County after 1830 when he was commissioned Captain in Fluvanna County militia. Family papers give his address 18 July, 1852 as "Rock Spring" Wayne County, Virginia.
Inscibed in the margins of the Order Book are notes making it appear that paper was precious and little wasted. There are notations appearing to be inventory of a small country store. Birth, death and marriage dates for this family are taken from the notations. The recorded name of James Glenn Mayo's wife is 'Winifred' although she may have been called 'Winnie'.
Also note the following census records:
Federal Census index:
1820 MAYO JAMES G. Fluvanna County VA 066 Bernardsbery Federal Population Schedule VA 1820 Federal Census Index
1820 MAYO JAMES Cabell County VA 087 No Township Listed Federal Population Schedule VA 1820 Federal Census Index
1840 MAYO JAMES G. Cabell County VA 034 No Township Listed Federal Population Schedule VA 1840 Federal Census Index VAS4a1705543
From the Wayne Co. Genealogical and Historical Society, the corresponding secretary noted that information was difficult to find because the name MAYO was written as MayS on some forms. It seems likely to me that the cursive writing of some of the clerks who entered the info was unclear and an "O" was transcribed as an "S."
In the Wayne Co. WV Census of 1850 James G. is 84 and Winey is 63. But the following census also lists them as:
1860 Wayne Co., WV Census
Mayo 89
James G. 84
Winey 63
Beverly G. 26
Julian R. 24
John Tyler 20
Tabetha F. Hensley 7 (daughter of Adeline Harr Mayo and Woodson Hensley)
It is certainly nice not to age 10 years in 10 years time.
Winifred Johnson, my 2nd great grandmother was born in August 1796. She married James Glenn Mayo in June 1816 in Fluvanna County, Virginia. She was most likely from Fluvanna, Goochland or Powhatan County. She would have been 20 at her marriage to James Glenn Mayo. I do not know when they moved to Wayne County, Virginia. They were living at "Rock Spring" in Wayne County in 1852. Winnie died in Wayne Co.

..................... +Winifred Johnson b: August 1796 m: June 23, 1816 in , Fluvanna Co., VA d: August 18, 1873 in Wayne Co. , WV Sex: Female
The children of James Glenn Mayo and Winifred Johnson were:
..................... 5 Gabriel Smither Mayo b: May 12, 1817 Sex: Male
........................... +Amanda Rutherford b: Abt. 1826 m: March 31, 1847 in Lawrence, OH Sex: Female
This family is listed in the following census:
Wayne Co. WV 1850 Federal Censusw/ annotations by Billie Hill Mullins
Mayo 7
Gabriel 33
Amanda 24
Margarett 2

.......................... 6 Margaret Mayo b: March 24, 1848 d: June 11, 1852 Sex: Female
.......................... 6 Tabitha Jane Mayo b: June 27, 1850 Sex: Female
.......................... 6 John Henry Mayo b: September 24, 1853 Sex: Male
.......................... 6 Winifred Mayo b: June 07, 1857 Sex: Female
..................... 5 Frances Ann Mayo b: June 17, 1819 Sex: Female
..................... 5 Henry Johnson Mayo b: April 21, 1827 Sex: Male
.......................... 6 James Mayo b: November 13, 1860 Sex: Male
..................... 5 Adeline Harr Mayo b: June 27, 1829 in Cabell Co.,WV d: January 22, 1906 in Boyd Co., KY Sex: Female
........................... +Woodson Hensley b: Abt. 1825 in Wayne Co.,WV m: December 08, 1851 d: Bef. January 22, 1906 Sex: Male Father: Samuel Hensley Mother: Catherine McDavid
Adaline Mayo was married to Woodson Hensley from Wayne Co, VA (WV). This family then moved to Boyd County,
Ky. Their children were
Tabitha HENSLEY born 1852/53 in Wayne Co, VA (WV).
James HENSLEY, born 1855/56 in Wayne Co, VA (WV).
Samuel HENSLEY, born 1857/58 in Boyd Co, KY
Adaline was also a step mother to
Wiley HENSLEY born 1838/39.
Riley HENSLEY born 1840/41
Martha J. HENSLEY born 1845/46 in Wayne Co, WV.

.......................... 6 Tabitha Frances Hensley b: July 31, 1852 in Wayne Co.,WV d: February 04, 1929 in Greenup Co.,KY Sex: Female
................................ +Robert Hensley b: Abt. 1855 in Greenup Co.,KY m: January 13, 1878 in Catlettsburg, Boyd Co., KY d: February 04, 1929 in Greenup Co.,KY Sex: Male
Apparently both Tabitha and Robert died in a house fire.

..................... 5 Joseph Mayo b: August 23, 1831 Sex: Male
..................... 5 Beverly Glenn Mayo b: September 16, 1834 d: October 11, 1862 Sex: Male
..................... 5 Julian Richardson Mayo b: October 15, 1836 Sex: Male
From the 1850 Wayne Co.WV census, and listed as 24 yrs. in the Wayne Co. Marriage Book of the KYOWVA Gen. Society lists this marriage:
Jules (Julian) R. Mayo 36/Eastern VA ,
s/o James Mayo & Ninsey (Winey)
m. Stuard, Margaret 19/Clay Co., KY 6/16/1872 dtr of Thomas Stuard, and Sarah ; minister McKeand, A. B.
Note the difference in ages. If Jules is 36 in 1872, it means he was b. in 1836, not 1826 as I have shown by the 1850 Census.
But the fact that he shows Eastern VA as place of birth is interesting.

........................... +Margaret Stuard b: Abt. 1853 in Clay Co. , KY m: June 16, 1872 Sex: Female Father: Thomas Stuard Mother: Sarah

John Tyler Mayo is my great grandfather.
..................... 5 John Tyler Mayo b: August 29, 1839 in Cabell Co., VA ( now Wayne co., WV) d: Aft. 1889 in Wayne/Cabell, VA Sex: Male
Information on John Tyler Mayo and his family was gathered from The Wayne Co. Genealogical and Historical Society which gave the birth date and birth place of John Tyler and Susan Frances.
Information also came from the Carey-Mayo Cemetary.
The information on John T. Mayo's military service in, Co. H., 13 W.VA. INF came from a book put together by the Wayne County Gen. and Historical Society of Graveyards in Wayne Co., WV.
Someone also sent me a census record without the year showing bur from Wayne Co. WV which shows that:
C006 Mayo Tyler WM 40 Farmer VA VA VA
Fannie WF 36 wife Housekeeper VA VA VA
Hayes WM 3 son WV VA VA
Columbus WM 7 Step son WV VA VA
James WM 1 son WV VA VA
This is confusing because I have John Tyler Mayo as having been born in 1839, so at 40, the year should have been 1870, but Hayes was born in 1876 and James was born in 1878 so it couldn't have been the 1870 but rather the 1880, but then the ages are wrong for both Tyler and Fannie.
Another census record w/o a date which may be the 1900 census shows:
#110 -
MAYS (handwritten MAYO) John T. head Aug. 1839 60 M 24 WV VA VA Farmer,
Susan F. wife Apr. 1849 51 M 24 WV WV WV
Ruthford B son Oct 1876 23 WV
James son Nov 1878 21 WV
Landy son Dec. 1880 19 WV
Joseph son Feb 1883 17 WV
Cinthia dau Mar 1889 11 WV
John W. son May 1887 13 WV
Note birthdate given as 1839
Information on this family also came from the personal knowledge of Shirley EVELYN Mayo Sparks, granddaughter.
Susan Frances Perdue is my great grandmother. My mother remembers her being talked about as being larger than her husband John Tyler Mayo. Susan Frances did not like her daughter-in-law according to my mother. My grandmother reciprocated. Once when Grandmother was pregnant, Susan Frances was frying chicken gizzards which she liked. My grandmother caught her not looking and ate them all.
Susan Frances went to bed never to get up again after an argument with my Grandmother. Grandma ended up throwing a bucket of milk on her. Susan Frances said that was what caused her to be ill.
It appears that Susan Frances Perdue called Fannie had been previously married. Note the census recorded above showing a stepson for John Tyler Mayo. Wayne Co. Census record shows a step son for John Tyler Mayo of 7 yrs of age named Columbus. In the 1860 census of Wayne Co, WV he was listed as 9 years of age

........................... +Susan Frances Perdue b: 1851 m: Abt. 1876 Sex: Female Father: James Burton Perdue Mother: Cyntha Avon Kelley
There is some dispute over the name of Susan Frances Perdue's father. I will leave the data as it is until I have time to research this further. Cyntha Avon Kelly Marriage data: Extracted from Lawrence Co., OHIO LDS batch # M514521 dates - 1817 - 1857 source call # 31776 Film Gives name as Kelley and indicates marriage to James Burton Perdue.
The children of John Tyler Mayo and Susan Frances Perdue were:
.......................... 6 Rutherford B. Hayes Mayo b: October 23, 1876 Sex: Male

My grandfather was James Glen Mayo, second child of John Tyler Mayo and Susan Frances Perdue. As I remember him, he was tall and thin and I never saw him in anything but a pair of bib overalls and a shirt. On weekdays it was a blue denim shirt and on Sundays, he wore a white shirt. In thinking of him, I remember the World War II sign that showed Uncle Sam pointing and saying I WANT YOU! Grandpa Mayo looked like that in bib overalls!
Information for this family was given to me by Anna Lee Mayo Clay in Ballard, W.Va. on Aug. 19, 1977. She was 75 years old and her memory was clear. It also came from Fanny Mayo that same place and time.
I noticed the difference in the marriage date and the birth of Annie and Fanny Mayo. I asked them as gently as I could saying I did not mean to embarass anyone but could they tell me about what had happened. Aunt John (Fanny) noted that it was ok and not to worry. She said she had gotten her face slapped many a time for sticking her nose in where she shouldn't have!! :-)
She said that my grandmother apparently fell very much in love with James Glen and she got pregnant by him with Annie. (My mother said that Elizabeth Margaret Carey lived with Cynthia Mayo during this time and the time that she got pregnant with Fanny. Cynthia Mayo was James Glen's sister.)
According to Annie and John, Elizabeth Margaret's father who was a preacher got a couple of friends or relatives, found James Glen and got the two of them married shotgun style. Grandma would have probably been a whole lot better off if she hadn't married James Glen Mayo.
My mother Shirley Evelyn Mayo says that her father did not like her and he treated her badly. He would give money to Aunt Ippie and laugh at mother. She said that Susan Frances Perdue did not believe that she was James Glen's child because there was a man in the area who would give Elizabeth Margaret a ride into town in his car. Mother looks like James Glen and like her brother Taft Mayo as well. I know my mother has carried this hurt all of her life. What a shame!!
James Glen was a very strict man toward his children and his grandchildren. I remember being afraid of him and I remember being glad when he went to bed at 7:00 pm, but then of course, we couldn't make any noise. Sometimes if we got too loud, he would thump his cane on the upstairs floor and harrumph and we would all get silent.
I also remember him eating something he called SOAKINS. For breakfast there was always fresh baked biscuits. Grandpa Mayo would take the biscuits and eat the soft insides with his eggs, bacon and whatever else Grandma had fixed. When he finished that he took his coffee cup off of his saucer and placed the biscuit outsides on the saucer with the soft side up. He then sprinkled the biscuit crusts with sugar and added several tablespoons of his coffee and cream on top, letting the coffee mixture soak in. This he then ate with a spoon, saying Ahhhhhh! with every bite.
My mother caught him feeding me some of his coffee from a spoon, one time when I was an infant. She said, "Pop, don't give her that coffee!"
He replied, "Ah, it'll make her eyes black. They were!
.......................... 6 James Glen Mayo b: November 28, 1878 in Wayne Co., W.Va. d: April 12, 1951 in Huntington, W.Va. Sex: Male
Certificate of Death, WV State Dept. #500 #93 state file # 5324
James Mayo April 12, 1951; 12:30 pm
Huntington, Wayne Co., WV
1585 Spring Valley Dr.
Male/white/married
b. Nov 28, 1878 72 years 4 months 14 days at death
occupation listed as carpenter (but he farmed a little and also butchered some)
Father's name: J.T. Mayo
Mother's name: Susan Perdue
never in armed forces
info given by Everett Mayo, son
condition leading to death - acute cardiac failure
Chronic myocarditis 4 years
no autopsy
W. Daniels, MD Huntington, WV 4-14-51
Buried April 15, 1951 Mayo Cemetary Walter J. Rollins, Jr. Embalmer lic. no 1240, W. F. Rollins Funeral director lic. no. 367
I remember hearing that he had helped someone load a cow onto a truck right before his death.
My grandmother was Elizabeth Margaret Carey. The Carey family are of English stock and that proud line goes back many generations into English history, but the immigrant grandfather came to America about 1634, joined the Plymouth Colony, and made his home at Duxbury, where he had a farm. In 1644 he married Elizabeth, daughter of Francis and Elizabeth GODFREY (who was a carpenter and bridge builder,) and in August, 1643, we find his name on the muster roll of the Duxbury Company commanded by Capt. Myles STANDISH; he removed to Bridgewater where he died in 1669; it is thought that the name GODFREY comes from the Duke of Bouillon, the Crusader).
I loved Grandma Mayo very much. She was always very affectionate with me. She always made me homemade strawberry sandwiches on white bread for me to take out under the weeping willow tree and eat. I usually fed most of it to the ants!! :-)
Once when I was ill, I received a box with a whole lot of little things in it. Among those was a jigger measure that looked like a rootbeer mug. I loved that mug!!
After James Mayo died, Grandma Mayo went to work at a restaurant washing dishes! I did not know that this was necessary. She had no Social Security. I wonder how in the world she made it. I do remember my mother buying her things frequently and sometimes when we left, mother would leave some money on the kitchen table if Grandma did not catch her!!
Elizabeth Margaret Carey died of complications from Parkinson's Disease. Her Death Certificate notes she:
76 years old, Wayne Co., WV 4201 July 17, 1962 Vol. 10, 10653
................................ +Elizabeth Margaret Carey b: September 10, 1885 in Ebenezer, Wayne, W.Va. m: April 28, 1904 d: July 17, 1962 in Huntington, W.Va. Sex: Female Father: Henry Edward Carey Mother: Elizabeth Margaret Napier
Elizabeth Margaret Carey's Napier line goes back into Scotland and into the lines of Clan Chieftains.

The children of James Glen Mayo and Elizabeth Margaret Carey were:
................................ 7 Anna Lee Mayo b: June 19, 1902 in Wayne County, W.Va. d: August 31, 1981 in Cabell Co.,WV Sex: Female
Anna was called Annie. She married Carl Clay on Dec. 24, 1919. Annie had twin sons born at home. The babies were so small that a teacup fit over their heads. Aunt Annie wrapped the babies in flannel and placed them on a pillow in a rocking chair in front of the fireplace to keep them warm. I remember Billy. The other twin's name was Bennie and he died early. Billy was a handsome red-headed young man. He was killed in an accident while he was in the service.
Carl died Dec. 15, 1922.
I do not say this to embarass anyone but for posterity's sake, Aunt Annie also had a son after Carl Clay died. He was named Howard, but was called Skeeter. He married several times and has dozens of children and grandchildren. They live mostly in Michigan. His father was Bill Riggs.
Aunt Annie was the best cook in the family. I loved her brown beans. They were soupy and flavored with bacon.
Mother told a couple of funny stories about Aunt Annie, who in later years was a regular Miss 5 X 5.
Aunt Annie and Mother were going downtown to have Aunt Annie's picture taken. Aunt Annie got all dressed up and they waited on the bus. It was cold weather and there was snow on the ground. When the bus came, they got on and rode to the stop nearest their destination. When they started to get off the bus Aunt Annie fell and her legs flew up over her head. Mother helped her up and started to dust her off. Aunt Annie brushed mother's hands off and climbed back on the bus. Mother said, "Aren't we going to get your picture taken?"
Aunt Annie replied, "No!. I've already taken everybody in Huntington's picture." And she huffed to her seat and went home.
Aunt Annie was always rather vain of her appearance. She was short and round, but was always neat and clean and had her hair and makeup nicely done. She needed glasses to see well, but frequently didn't wear them because she thought they didn't look good on her. Mother and Aunt Annie were shopping in one of Huntington's larger and better stores. They started down the stairs to the basement to the housewares department. On the landing was a mannequin of a woman in a house dress holding a mixing bowl and spoon. Aunt Annie bumped the mannequin and it wavered back and forth on its stand. Mother cried out, "Annie, watch out!' Aunt Annie replied, "Let her look out; she can see better than I can!"

...................................... +Carl Golden Clay b: Abt. 1898 in Cabell Co.,WV m: December 24, 1919 in Catlettsburg, Boyd, KY d: December 15, 1922 Sex: Male
Carl Golden Clay was killed in an accident in a brickyard where he worked. He was oiling some machinery when his jacket sleeve caught in the machine and it threw him back and forth finally crushing his head according to Nina Mae Clay, his daughter, who gave me this information on July 8th, 1997.
...................................... 8 Nina Mae Clay b: September 08, 1922 in Wayne County, W.Va. Sex: Female
Information on this family and their descendants was given to me by Nina Mae Clay and Ralph Lester Saunders, Jr as well as visiting family members of other descendants on July 8th, 1997 in Huntington, WV.
............................................ +Ralph Lester Saunders,Jr b: in Wayne County, W.Va. m: September 02, 1939 in Boyd Co., KY Sex: Male Father: Ralph Lester Saunders, Sr Mother: Lillian Wellman
............................................ 9 Sally Lee Saunders b: Sex: Female
.................................................. +Ralph James Davenport m: in Wayne Co., WV Sex: Male
.................................................. 10 Ralph Daniel Davenport b: Sex: Male
........................................................ +Terri DeMent Sex: Female
....................................................... 11 Danielle Nicole Davenport b: Sex: Female
.................................................. 10 James Dale Davenport b Sex: Male
............................................ 9 William "Bill" Ralph Saunders b: Sex: Male
.................................................. +Tama Maxine Osburn b: Sex: Female Father: Charles Osburn Mother: Ellen Sowards
.................................................. 10 Angie Dawn Saunders b: Sex: Female
........................................................ +Lloyd Robert Wheeler II Sex: Male
....................................................... 11 Robert Miles Wheeler b: Sex: Male
.................................................. *2nd Husband of Angie Dawn Saunders:
........................................................ +Benjamin Steele Sex: Male
.................................................. 10 Lori Renee Saunders b: Sex: Female
............................................ 9 Rodney Lester Saunders b: Sex: Male
.................................................. +Nicole "Nikki" Elkins Sex: Female
.................................................. 10 Joshua Lester Saunders b: Sex: Male
...................................... 8 Billy Clay b: Abt. 1923 Sex: Male
...................................... 8 Benny Clay b: Abt. 1923 Sex: Male
...................................... 8 Carl Howard (Skeeter) Clay b: August 01, 1930 Sex: Male
............................................ +Ethel Frazier Sex: Female
............................................ 9 Charles Howard Clay b: Sex: Male
.................................................. +Doddy ? Sex: Female
.................................................. 10 Christopher Howard Clay b: Sex: Male
.................................................. 10 Melody Renee Clay b: Sex: Female
.................................................. 10 Crystal Gail Clay b: Sex: Female
....................................................... 11 Christopher Lynn Clay b: Sex: Male
.................................................. 10 Lisa Marie Clay b: Sex: Female
............................................ *2nd Wife of Charles Howard Clay:
.................................................. +Donna ? Sex: Female
.................................................. 10 Mandi Clay b: Sex: Female
............................................ *3rd Wife of Charles Howard Clay:
.................................................. +Tricia ? Sex: Female
.................................................. 10 Sarah Clay b: Sex: Female
...................................... *2nd Wife of Carl Howard (Skeeter) Clay:
............................................ +Mildred Workman Sex: Female
............................................ 9 Connie Sue Clay b: Sex: Female
.................................................. +Tony Clay m: Sex: Male
.................................................. 10 Tony Clay b: Sex: Male
............................................ 9 Robin Denise Clay b: Sex: Female
.................................................. +Richard Thomas Hickman m: Sex: Male
.................................................. 10 Jennifer Lee Hickman b: Sex: Female
............................................ *2nd Husband of Robin Denise Clay:
.................................................. +Robert Johnson m: Sex: Male
.................................................. 10 Nicholas Johnson b: Sex: Male
.................................................. 10 Randi Johnson b: Sex: Female
...................................... *3rd Wife of Carl Howard (Skeeter) Clay:
............................................ +Brenda Joyce Frazier Sex: Female
............................................ 9 Cathy Yvonne Clay b: Sex: Female
.................................................. +Carl Jude Yadkins m: Sex: Male
.................................................. 10 David Carl Yadkins b: Sex: Male
.................................................. 10 Nicholas Devin Yadkins b: Sex: Male
............................................ 9 Troy Scott Clay b: Sex: Male
............................................ 9 Anita Dawn Clay b: Sex: Female
.................................................. +Robert Frederick Hankinson m: Sex: Male
.................................................. 10 Crystal Carrie Clay b: Sex: Female
.................................................. 10 Robert Nathaniel Hankinson b: Sex: Male
.................................................. 10 Angel Lee Hankinson b: Sex: Female
.................................................. 10 Emily Elizabeth Hankinson b: Sex: Female
............................................ 9 David Janssen Clay b: Sex: Male
.................................................. +Michelle Idell Denmark m: Sex: Female
.................................................. 10 David Scott Clay b: Sex: Male
.................................................. 10 Eric Jansenn Clay b: Sex: Male
.................................................. 10 Elizabeth Lee Germand b: Sex: Female
............................................ 9 Susan Lee Clay b: Sex: Female
.................................................. +Steven Marty Donaldson m: Sex: Male
.................................................. 10 Clayton Forrest Donaldson b: Sex: Male
.................................................. 10 Samantha Paige Donaldson b: Sex: Female
............................................ 9 Melissa Joy Clay b: Sex: Female
.................................................. +Raymond Joseph Stackhurski m: Sex: Male
.................................................. 10 Cody Joseph Stackhurski b: Sex: Male
.................................................. 10 Brittany Justine Stackhurski b: Sex: Female

................................ 7 Fanny Mayo b: December 25, 1904 in Wayne County, W.Va. d: December 22, 1977 in Pearisburg, VA Sex: Female
Fanny was called "John". The story I was told was that Aunt John went into a barber's shop when she was quite young. She told the barber that she wanted her long hair cut. He asked how she wanted it to look and she said she wanted it to look just like John Will's (a neighbor) who had what was called a bowl cut in those days, because it looked like someone had put a bowl around their head and cut the hair to fit. The barber did just what Aunt John asked and she was called John Will or just John after that.
Aunt John was very obese and quite short; a regular Miss 5 by 5. She lived in Ballard, W.Va., not far from Narrows, Va.
We visited them every summer and I can remember the fun I had. The cousins teased me because one of the first times, I awoke when they were getting up to do their chores. They told me to go back to sleep, that I needn't get up. But I was so excited that I said "no, I want to go gather the milk." They never let me forget that.
John was married to Add James Poff on July 30, 1920. Their children were Bud, Shirley Ann, Eddie Glen, and Lana Gale.
One day when I was visiting the farm, Aunt John had to go to the barn. She put on Uncle Add's galoshes, the kind that have big buckles, over her own shoes. Because she needed to have an operation (I think it was to remove her gallbladder) she had lost a substantial amount of weight which left a skin flap that hung down over her thighs.
She reached the barn and it was dark inside because it was just dusk. She went inside to find the lantern. She heard a loud, heavy breathing that was almost a roar. She thought that her son, Bud, who was a real trickster was playing a joke on her. She called out to him to stop. The noise came a second time, and she said,"Bud, I told you to stop that." It came again, and she yelled, "Bud, now you stop that, your a'scarin' me!"
She turned around and saw two yellow eyes staring down at her from the hayloft. She screamed and ran out of the barn toward the porch where we were all sitting. We didn't hear the scream, but we heard a smacking noise that was very rhythmic. We all looked to see Aunt John running as fast as her short legs would carry her toward the house, screaming for Uncle Add. It wasn't until later that we realized that the sound we were hearing was the flapping of Aunt John's stomach skin against her legs.
The men including my father, found tracks of a panther leading from the barn but they never saw the animal itself.
Because they had a dairy farm, we had whipped cream on everything. I was in heaven. I can remember cream pies topped with cream rather than meringue.
I also remember something that Uncle Add did that astonished me. He ate his peas with his knife! And he never spilled a one.

...................................... +Add J. Poff b: July 14, 1896 m: July 30, 1920 in Catlettsburg, Boyd, KY d: July 25, 1975 Sex: Male Father: Augustus Price Poff
Add was originally called Adam Joshua but changed it to Ad James.
Information on much of this family and their descendants came from my own personal knowledge and that of my mother, Shirely EVELYN Mayo and from the personal knowledge of Nina Mae Clay.
..................................... 8 Clarence (Bud) Poff Sex: Male
............................................ +Irene Frederick Sex: Female
............................................ 9 Fannie Lee Poff Sex: Female
.................................................. +Jerry Martin Sex: Male
.................................................. 10 Christopher Martin Sex: Male
.................................................. 10 Sherry Martin Sex: Female
....................................................... 11 Eric Scott Martin Sex: Male
....................................................... 11 Wayne Martin Sex: Male
...................................... 8 Shirley Ann Poff Sex: Female
...................................... 8 Eddie Glen Poff Sex: Male
............................................ +Maria b: in Italy m: in Italy Sex: Female
............................................ 9 Adam Poff Sex: Male
............................................ 9 David Poff Sex: Male
...................................... 8 Frances Poff Sex: Female
............................................ +Earl Vaught Sex: Male
............................................ 9 Larry Vaught Sex: Male
.................................................. +Elizabeth Casey Sex: Female
.................................................. 10 Larry Vaught, Jr. Sex: Male
.................................................. 10 Kathy Vaught Sex: Female
.................................................. 10 James Vaught Sex: Male
............................................ 9 Linette Vaught Sex: Female
.................................................. +Edward Burke Sex: Male
.................................................. 10 Kristen Burke Sex: Female
.................................................. 10 Elizabeth Burke Sex: Female
...................................... 8 Lana Gale Poff Sex: Female
............................................ +Roy Lester Sex: Male
............................................ 9 Johnnie Lester Sex: Female
............................................ 9 Teresa Lester Sex: Female

................................ 7 Othel Franklin (Taft) Mayo b: October 12, 1907 in Wayne County, W.Va. d: August 22, 1946 in Wayne County, W.Va. Sex: Male
Othel Mayo was called "Taft". I'm sure it must have been after President Taft, but I don't remember the story.
Uncle Taft was killed by the drunken owner of a small beer joint named Avery Stewart. It happened on a Sunday morning. Taft who had joined the church and stopped drinking went into the beer joint that morning to buy some bread and milk because they had run out. The owner was there and offered Taft a bottle of beer which Taft refused. The owner was drunk and took offense at Taft's not drinking with him and ordered him to have a drink. Taft politely refused and the owner threw the bottle at Taft. It fell to the floor in front of his feet. The owner then threw a broom at Taft and told him to clean up the mess he had caused. If the owner had asked Taft to clean it up, he would probably have done so, but Taft got his dander up at the owner's manner and refused. The owner pulled a gun, and called Taft a SOB, and ordered him to do as he'd been told. Taft refused and the owner shot him. Aunt Cleo was pregnant with Polly at the time. And the stress caused her to deliver early, just after Uncle Taft was buried. I think I remember the funeral. I was probably around eight.
Taft Mayo was killed by Avery Stewart who m. Maxine Adkins listed on p. 119 in the Napier book.
The story in the newspaper that ran the day after his death told a different story, but mother says this one is true.
The man who shot Uncle Taft was sentenced to about five years, even though his own wife testified that she was scared to death of him. He served only a couple of years and was let out for good behavior. Should be newpaper stories of his death in Huntington papers.
My mother Shirley Evelyn Mayo told the story of Uncle Taft riding the rails during the Great Depression in order to look for work. He would grab the train in Kenova and head out in search of whatever he could find. He was always good about sending money back to Grandma when he had any.
One time, he ended up some place in Ohio getting off the train outside of the town and walking into the city. There was another man with him but I do not know who this man was. It could have been his brother Everett.
The two of them were broke but very willing to work at whatever they could find. On their way into the town, they ran into two girls about their own age and they started talking. The girls told them that they were on their way to sign up for some jobs that were supposed to be opening up and they would take them to the place so that they could sign up too.
While they walked, one of the girls tummy rumbled. That was very embarassing to her and she apologized very profusely but noted that they hadn't eaten in two days as they hadn't had any money to buy anything. Uncle Taft took this as a statement hoping that the two guys would take the girls out to eat. Uncle Taft explained that they were both broke and pulled from his pocket a dime saying that this 'one thin dime' was all he had.
The girls said that they understood, but that there was a small grocery store around the corner from where they had first met the boys. They noted that they had an apartment nearby and used that store. They said that they bet that Uncle Taft would be able to get something from the store to feed them all with that dime.
After signing up for the jobs, the four of them returned to the area of the store, and Uncle Taft went in. He was always a smooth talker and he told the store keeper that all he had was this 'one thin dime' and that he had two little girls who had not eaten in two days. He asked the storekeeper to give him a loaf of bread and some baloney so that they could at least have that. The grocer agreed and cut four thick slices of baloney from the piece in his cooler. With Uncle Taft continuing to talk about his two little girls, the man threw in a quart of milk and a bag of cookies.
Uncle Taft returned to the apartment where the three were waiting. The girls had found an onion and some mustard in the cupboard. They fried the baloney and made sandwiches and they all had a good meal finished off with milk and cookies. Mother didn't go into the 'rest of the story,' of what happened then!! But we can use our imaginations here!!
But she did note later that Uncle Taft brought a girl from Ohio home with him one time and they stayed at Grandpa Mayo's house. She noted this was very unusual because 'Pop' didn't approve of things like that. She did not remember the girl's name or if she ever saw her again.
I thought that Uncle Taft and my mother looked the most alike in this family and their personalities were similar. Uncle Taft was always kind to me when I visited.
Information on this family and their descendants is from my own personal knowledge and personal knowledge of my mother, Shirley EVELYN Mayo Sparks as well as from Nina Mae Clay Saunders.

...................................... +Cleo Blanch Perdue m: July 27, 1932 in Catlettsburg, Boyd Co., KY Sex: Female Father: George Perdue Mother: Nora Haney
...................................... 8 George Othel (Doodle) Mayo b: September 12, 1938 in Wayne County, W.Va. d: May 22, 1969 in Viet Nam Sex: Male
............................................ +Dorothea Loisie Stewart b: in Wayne County, W.Va. m: in Wayne Co., WV Sex: Female
............................................ 9 Michael Anthony Mayo b: Sex: Male
.................................................. +Renee Annette Stevens m: in Wayne Co., WV Sex: Female
............................................ 9 Marsha Renee Mayo b: Sex: Female
............................................ 9 Amy Ruth Mayo Sex: Female
...................................... 8 Jerry Roger (Sugar) Mayo b: in Wayne County, W.Va. Sex: Male
............................................ +Gladys Ruth Dresher b: in Cohoes, NY m: in Cohoes, NY Sex: Female Father: Christopher Drescher Mother: Anna Osley
............................................ 9 Scott Tyler Mayo b: in Huntington, Cabell Co., WV Sex: Male
.................................................. +Amy Katherine Lester b: in Cabell Co.,WV m: in Wayne Co., WV Sex: Female
............................................ 9 Garrett Taft Mayo b: in Bellflower, Lomita, CA Sex: Male
.................................................. +Christey Dawn Scarberry Sex: Female
...................................... 8 Patty Sue Mayo b: in Wayne County, W.Va. Sex: Female
............................................ +Rodney Dwight Lewis b: in Wharton Co., KY m:in Ceredo, Wayne Co., WV Sex: Male Father: Walter Lewis
............................................ 9 Rodney Michael Lewis b: in Cabell Co.,WV Sex: Male
.................................................. +Catherine Breiminguer m: in San Diego, CA Sex: Female
............................................ 9 Mark Allen Lewis b: in Cabell Co.,WV Sex: Male
............................................ 9 Monica Sue Lewis b: in Cabell Co.,WV Sex: Female
...................................... 8 Polly Jane Mayo b: Sex: Female
............................................ +Colin George Smith m: in Parisburg, Giles Co., VA Sex: Male
............................................ 9 Jerry Dale Smith b: Sex: Male
............................................ 9 Gregory Scott Smith b: Sex: Male
............................................ 9 Colin Jeffrey Smith b: Sex: Male
............................................ 9 Christopher Bryant Smith b: Sex: Male
............................................ 9 Wesley Hardin Smith b: d: August 09, 1971 Sex: Male

................................ 7 Everett Tyler Mayo b: February 05, 1910 d: December 13, 1973 in Huntington, Cabell, W.Va. Sex: Male
Uncle Everett was my favorite Uncle, but he was a hard man to live with. He was strict and domineering. He also probably had the first dime he ever earned.
I frequently stayed with Uncle Everett and Aunt Lou because my cousins and I were the closest of any of the cousins. Jimmy Dale was the oldest, then came Kay Ann, who was about six months older than I, then Danny Joe, Dottie Lou, and Cookie whose real name was Jackie!
The following story got me through many an English class as I completed high school and college.
Kay Ann had been elected Basketball Princess at her high school, Vinson in Huntington, WV. It was such an honor as the election showed how much her school friends thought of her. There was to be a dance and a dinner at which Kay Ann would rule. So exciting!!
I was in the ninth grade in Charleston, WV but Kay Ann invited me to come down and join her for this special event. I was excited for her and my mother bought me a very pretty dress which excited me even more.
I went to Kay Ann's house where I was to help her get ready. She had made a beautiful gown for herself . It was styled as a floor length princess gown which clung to her tiny waist and flared out over her hips down to the floor. It was made of pink eyelet, and it had a hoop skirt that made the gown flare out even more. It was strapless and Kay Ann was made to hold it up. She looked beautiful. Her light blondish-brown hair was up-swept and held a few flowers. Her date picked us up. I believe he was a first cousin of Kay Ann's but they had a crush on each other even though the relationship could never be . I think his name was Dale Mayo.
At the dance, one of Kay Ann's girlfriends asked us to stop by her house after the dance to have some refreshments, and Kay Ann agreed. We didn't stay only 30 or 40 minutes, and then went on home. I went in the house while Kay Ann told her date good night. Aunt Lou heard me enter and called down stairs. "Is that you Kay Ann?"
I answered, 'It's me Aunt Lou!"

Aunt Lou then said the dreaded words that no one ever wanted to hear: "Your Uncle Everett is out looking for you! Hurry and tell Kay Ann to get up stairs." It just about scared me to death! I pulled open the door and shouted, "Quick, get in here, Uncle Everett's looking for us."
Kay Ann's date bolted off the front porch so fast that it looked like he left a vapor trail. He knew Uncle Everett too! Kay and I hurried upstairs. I quickly undressed and got into my pajamas. I looked and Kay Ann still had her dress on . It was dark in the room, the only light coming from the hall and the moonlight from outside. "What's wrong?" I wailed.
Kay Ann's zipper had gotten stuck. I turned her so that her back was to the light and I tried desperately to get it unstuck, but my terror and the lack of good light made that an impossibility. My fingers shook. My whole body shook!
Just then we heard Uncle Everett's truck in the drive way. Both of us jumped into the bed and pulled the covers up to our chins. Lying there like little angels with our hands folded on top of our abdomens. And then I looked down at the foot of the bed. There were my feet making two small lumps under the covers. I looked over at Kay Ann's side and there was her hoop, making her side of the bed look like the top of a covered wagon. Impossible giggles bubbled up in my throat and I bit the top of the blanket to keep myself still. Uncle Everett came on upstairs and passed our door. I couldn't tell whether he looked in. After the lights in his room went out, Kay Ann got out of bed and I worked on her dress, finally getting the zipper down enough that she could slip out of it and get into her pajamas.
The next day at breakfast, Kay Ann and I received the bad news that we were to be forbidden to go to the Basketball dinner that night. How awful!! What extreme punishment for such a minor little crime. I could hardly wait for my mother to come by that afternoon!
I just knew that she would talk to Uncle Everett, and explain to him that we hadn't meant to cause any trouble, but she didn't. This was Uncle Everett's family not hers. And so we stayed home while the rest of the high school celebrated the end of basketball season, a winning one at that! I think Uncle Everett was not my favorite uncle for some time after that!
Information on this family and their descendants came from my own personal knowledge, personal knowledge of my mother Shirley EVELYN Mayo Sparks and personal knowledge of Nina Mae Clay Saunders.

...................................... +Lucille (Lou) Flora m: February 08, 1934 in Huntington, Cabell, W.Va. Sex: Female
...................................... 8 Danny Joe Mayo,Sr Sex: Male
............................................ +Sheila Ann Jenkins Sex: Female
............................................ 9 Bobby Lynn Mayo b: Sex: Female
............................................ 9 Danny Joe Mayo, Jr b: Sex: Male
.................................................. +Natalie Yvonne Perdue Sex: Female
.................................................. 10 Whitley Lauran Mayo b: Sex: Female
............................................ 9 Steven Kent Mayo b: Sex: Male
...................................... 8 Jimmy Dale Mayo b: Abt. Sex: Male
............................................ +Elizabeth Ann Stevens b: Abt. Sex: Female
............................................ 9 Brandon Mayo Sex: Male
............................................ 9 Julie Mayo Sex: Female
............................................ 9 James Brent Mayo b: Sex: Male
.................................................. +Julia Gail Wilgus Sex: Female
.................................................. 10 Sarah Kathleen Mayo b: Sex: Female
............................................ 9 Jamie Leigh Mayo b: Sex: Female
.................................................. +Tom Edward Keeney b: Sex: Male
...................................... 8 Kay Ann Mayo b: Abt. Sex: Female
............................................ +Hugh Colter Sex: Male
...................................... 8 Dottie Lou Mayo b: Sex: Female
............................................ +John Franklin Looney b: Sex: Male
............................................ 9 John Tyler Mayo Looney Sex: Male
...................................... 8 Jackie (Cookie) Mayo b: Sex: Female
............................................ +Eric Anthony Ritter b: Sex: Male
............................................ 9 Matthew Ritter Sex: Male

................................ 7 Ethel Estelle Mayo b: March 30, 1913 d: March 30, 1913 Sex: Female
Information on Ethel Estelle came from Shirley EVELYN Mayo Sparks, her sister.

................................ 7 Elizabeth Louise Mayo b: April 06, 1914 d: April 12, 1999 in Michigan Sex: Female
Elizabeth Mayo was called Ippie.
She was born with nerve deafness, and had very little hearing. She spoke fairly well for having the deafness, but there were some sounds she never learned. All "t" sounds were "k's" and she had some strange pronounciations for other words. I remember her calling apple butter, "ap-lee, ba-tee" She had only a year or two of regular schooling, but she could read. She wrote just like she talked, however. I remember trying to read a letter she had written mother with little success. Mother was able to read it with no trouble.
Again, without meaning to embarass anyone but for posterity's sake, Cora Lynn was born before Aunt Ippie was married. As I understand it, she was a housekeeper for a man who lived near Grandma and Aunt Ippie. His name was George Stevens. She married in later life a man named Muncey and they lived near Aunt John in either Peterstown or Rich Creek.
Information on this family and their descendants come from my own personal knowledge and the personal knowledge of Shirley EVELYN Mayo Sparks and the personal knowledge of Nina Mae Clay Saunders.
...................................... +George Stevens Sex: Male
...................................... 8 Cora Lynn Mayo b: Sex: Female
............................................ +Larry Eugene Smith b: Sex: Male
................................ *2nd Husband of Elizabeth Louise Mayo:
...................................... +Unknown Muncey Sex: Male

................................ 7 Shirley Evelyn Mayo b: in Ceredo, Wayne Co., WVa. Sex: Female
In Carey Highlights: Yesterday for Tomorrow by Virginia Miller Carey, Shirley Evelyn Mayo's name is given as Evaline. The story my mother gave me is that when she needed a SS card, she sent for her birth certficate only to find that it had been destroyed in a fire at the Wayne County Courthouse. She was told she could file a delayed certificate of birth if there was someone still living, who remembered her birth. Her mother was still living at that time. She filled out the form stating her name as Shirley Evelyn Mayo, and took it to her mother. Grandma Mayo looked at it and said, "But that is not your name!" Mother replied, "What do you mean that's not my name? I have been using it ever since I can remember." Grandma said, "When you were born, I named you SHIRLENE EVALINA." Mother said, "If you think I'm going to put that on a birth certificate, you're wrong. My name is Shirley Evelyn. Now sign the certificate! And Grandma did!
All her family always called her Evaline (Ev-uh-leen), however. I always thought it was because of their WVA accents. Hmmmm! Just last year I asked mother about this story again. She denied that this story happened and said she was named Shirley for the Old Dr. Shirley who was the family doctor. So, now I know I didn't dream up that story!! LOL Ah, well, it is a good story in any case!!
My mother quit school and worked at the Blue Jay Overall Factory for all of a few weeks before she quit. She does tell some funny stories of that Factory though and that was the ONLY outside job she ever had. She was a stay-at-home mom after she met daddy and four years later had me.
Information on this family comes from the personal knowledge of Shirley EVELYN Mayo Sparks and Nancy Lou Sparks Morrison.
...................................... +William Frank Sparks b: January 31, 1905 in Wayne Co., WVa. m: February 09, 1935 in Beckley, WVa. d: January 23, 1999 in Charleston, Kanawha Co., WV Sex: Male Father: Alie Sparks Mother: Mary Elizabeth Hager
My dad was a police officer in Kenova in the 30s. There was a chief and 3 officers I think I remember daddy telling me. Bootlegging continued to flow from Catlettsburg into and through Kenova on to Huntington in those days. Daddy said he knew one man that was a bootlegger, was SURE he was doing it but was never able to catch him. Daddy said his Ford was a souped-up one and capable of great speed but he never saw him speeding. He always came across the bridge, usually on a Thursday night around 10:00 pm each week. Daddy would turn on his lights, the guy would pull over, and daddy would search the car without any luck until ONE particular night.
He said for whatever reason, instead of pulling up behind the guy, he did a U-turn and pulled up with his lights on facing the guy. He got out and went to the side of the car while the guy proceeded to lazily get out of the car and daddy searched everywhere looking for a stash of liquor to no avail.
Disgusted he told him to drive on and turned to walk back to his car. As he did so, he KICKED the front tire of the man's car in disgust. It made a funny clunking noise and daddy said the guy jumped in the car and started the motor. Daddy reached through the window and grabbed the keys, turning the motor off, and proceed to put the guy in cuffs. Then he jacked the car, removed the tire, to find the inner tube filled with booze. All four tires were full!! The guy went to jail, the booze was disposed of in the Ohio River - bet those fish swam funny for awhile!! LOL And daddy said the man stopped bootlegging!!
I love this story and hope you enjoyed it too!!
Information on this family and their descendants comes from my own personal knowledge:

..................................... 8 Nancy Lou Sparks b: in Charleston, Kanawha, WV Sex: Female
............................................ +Richard Philbert Morrison b: in Richmond, Va. m: in Huntington, WVa. Sex: Male Father: Frederick Elmer Morrison Mother: Agnes Montgomery Butler
............................................ 9 Kathryn Kaye Morrison b: in Richmond, Va. Sex: Female
.................................................. +Michael Allen Mullens b: m: in Charleston, W.Va. Sex: Male Father: Marshall Allen Mullens Mother: Slyvania Irene Skeens
.................................................. 10 Traci Lynn Mullens b: Sex: Female ADOPTED
........................................................ +Charles Thomas McVey b: m: in Charleston, W.Va. Sex: Male Father: Curtis McVey Mother: Diana Moles
....................................................... 11 Charles Michael McVey b: in Charleston, W.Va. Sex: Male
............................................ 9 Richard Philbert Morrison,Jr. b: in Richmond, Va. Sex: Male
.................................................. +Pamela Mary Jabaut b: m: Sex: Female Father: Donald Joseph Jabaut Mother: Barbara Anne Cayea
.................................................. 10 Eric Christopher Chaney b: Sex: Male
...................................... 8 Peggy Joan Sparks b: in Charleston, W.Va. Sex: Female
............................................ +James Allen Hanshaw b: m: in Charleston, WVa. Sex: Male
............................................ 9 Carey Elizabeth Hanshaw b: in Charleston, W.Va. Sex: Female
.................................................. +Adams Sex: Male
.................................................. 10 Jordan Andrew Adams b: Sex: Male
.................... 10 Jayden Washington b: Sex: Male
.................... 10. Amiah Hanshaw b: Sex: Female

.......................... 6 Landy Mayo b: December 10, 1880 Sex: Male
................................ +Prudence Elizabeth Wilson b: 1885 d: 1988 in Texas (buried in Wayne Co.WV) Sex: Female Father: Allen Wilson Mother: Sarah Huff
.......................... 6 Joseph Mayo, Sr. b: February 04, 1883 in Wayne Co.,WV d: June 28, 1951 in Wayne Co.,WV Sex: Male
Joe lived on Bob's Branch in Huntington, WV. He had dark brown hair and was big, fat, jolly, kidded and teased every one a lot. Laughed a lot and made moonshine and went to the 'pen' because of it.
Certificate of Death: #9466 Dist No 500 Serial No. 175
6/28/51 5pm
Joseph Mayo, Bob's Branch, Rt. 4 Huntington, Wayne Co., WV.
Male/White/Married b. Feb. 4, 1883, 68 years, 4 months, 24 days of age at death. Death prob cause Coronary Thrombosis.
father John Tyler Mayo/Fannie Perdue
Informant was Goldie Haney, his daughter.
Burial was on July 13, 1951 at the Mayo Cemetary Rt 4, Huntington, WV.
Joseph was a Farmer and a Butcher.
Information on this family and some descendants came mainly from Elizabeth Margaret Carey Mayo in 1950-1959 as well as personal knowledge of Shirley EVELYN Mayo Sparks.

................................ +Annie May Fuller b: May 26, 1881 in Wayne Co.,WV d: June 12, 1948 in Huntington, Cabell Co., WV Sex: Female
................................ 7 Goldie Mayo b: April 18, 1905 in Huntington, Cabell Co., WV d: December 20, 1971 in Huntington, Cabell Co., WV Sex: Female
...................................... +Hence Haney Sex: Male
................................ 7 Charles E. Mayo, Sr. b: November 04, 1908 in Bob's Branch, Huntington, Wayne Co., WV d: April 15, 1960 in Huntington, Cabell Co., WV Sex: Male
...................................... +Alva Fairchild m: July 22, 1927 in Lawrence Co., KY Sex: Female
................................ 7 Golden Mayo b: September 10, 1909 in Wayne Co.,WV d: December 08, 1978 in Cabell Co.,WV Sex: Male
Golden killed 'Uncle Ben Carey', Elizabeth Margaret Carey Mayo's brother after they'd been out drinking. Golden went to jail - Grandma never did forgive Golden for that either.
...................................... +Stella S. Hensley m: May 26, 1930 in Catlettsburg, Boyd Co., KY Sex: Female
................................ 7 Rutherford Hayes Mayo b: October 29, 1910 in Huntington, Cabell Co., WV d: February 14, 1995 Sex: Male
Hayes was Evelyn Mayo Sparks favorite cousin. He would come to her house and stay until Evelyn's father ran him off! He had brown hair.
He was m. 3 times: Elsie Murphy, Edna Marie Kilgore, Janice Geralding Kelly.

................................ 7 Joseph Mayo, Jr. b: June 22, 1912 in Wayne Co.,WV d: July 18, 1978 in Huntington, Cabell Co., WV Sex: Male
He was called "Little Joe." Evelyn Mayo did not remember seeing much of him. M. twice Loucille Mulligan Herwig, Marie Lawhorn.
................................ 7 Daisy Belle Mayo b: 1918 in Wayne Co.,WV d: September 17, 1941 Sex: Female
She was m. twice William M. Turner, Burton McGlothlin.

................................ 7 Elva Evelyn "Evaline" Mayo b: October 25, 1921 in Wayne Co.,WV Sex: Female
...................................... +Ronald Granville Rowe Sex: Male
Evaline was born crippled in her feet but she could walk.

.......................... 6 Cynthia Mayo b: March 24, 1885 in Wayne Co., VA d: 1964 Sex: Female
Information on this family and their descendants came primarily from Elizabeth Margaret Carey Mayo in 1950-1959.
Delayed birth certificate Pre-1900- WV
Vol. 20. 59841, Mayo, Cynthia, dtr of John Tyler Mayo and mother's maiden name was Perdue. b. in Wayne Co. WV
March 24, 1885
white/female/ birthplace Ceredo Route, Wayne Co., WV
father John Tyler Mayo b. VA
mother Susan Frances Perdue b. WV
signed: Cynthia Mayo Smith April 23, 1956
Affidavit of cousin: Beverly Mayo age 83 years April 24, 1956
bd March 24, 1885, Ceredo Rt. WV father John Tyler Mayo, mother Susan Frances Perdue
Voter's Registration Record, Wayne Co., WV by clerk April 13, 1942
bd March 24, 1885 Wayne Co., WV
Marriage Record, Book 3, page 119, Cabell Co., WV Aug 1, 1918
Age 33 years, Wayne Co., WV
Burial: Mayo/Carey Cemetary on left at entrance Sherwood Dr.
This family lived on Bob's Branch outside of Huntington, WV. Cynthia had brown hair.

................................ +Newton Smith b: May 17, 1882 in Wayne Co. , WV m: August 02, 1918 in Huntington, Cabell, West Virginia d: September 30, 1983 in Wayne Co. , WV Sex: Male
................................ 7 Emmajean Smith Sex: Female
................................ 7 Eula Smith Sex: Female
................................ 7 Madeline Smith Sex: Female
................................ 7 Unknown Smith Sex: Female

.......................... 6 William Mayo b: May 01, 1887 Sex: Male Is listed as John W. on census record prob 1900, b. May 1887 age 13
Delayed birth certificate Pre 1900- WV Vol. 17, 58099
William Mayo, son of John Tyler Mayo, May 01, 1887, mother's maiden name Perdue
William Mayo b. May 1, 1887
white/male/birthplace Wayne Co., WV
father: John Tyler Mayo b. VA
mother: Susan Frances Perdue b. WV
signed: William Mayo, 1014 Poplar St., Kenova, WV
Aug. 19, 1955
Affidavit of cousin B. G. Mayo age 83 years - Aug 19, 1955
B. May 1, 1887, Wayne Co., WV son of John Tyler Mayo and Susan Frances Perdue
Voter's Registration record #8300, Wayne Co., WV by April 13, 1942
b. May 1, 1887, WAyne Co., WV
Marriage record #603, Scioto Co. OHIO Feb. 1, 1910 V ol. 15, page #301
age 22 years, Ceredo, WV John T. Mayo/Susan F. Perdue
............... 4 Joseph T. Mayo b: Abt. 1780 Sex: Male
..................... +Polly Smith m: February 20, 1812 in , Fluvanna, Virginia Sex: Female
............... 4 Mary Mayo b: 1785 Sex: Female
............... 4 Nancy Mayo b: 1785 Sex: Female
..................... +James Edward Mayo m: April 23, 1816 Sex: Male
............... 4 Julius R. Mayo b: Abt. 1787 in , Fluvanna, Virginia Sex: Male
..................... +Tabitha Noell m: June 17, 1821 in , Fluvanna, Virginia Sex: Female
............... 4 Landy Mayo b: 1789 in , Fluvanna, Virginia d: 1862 in , Fluvanna, Virginia Sex: Male
..................... +Rebecca Mayo m: 1848 in , Fluvanna, Virginia Sex: Female
............... 4 Dicey Mayo b: 1792 in , Fluvanna, Virginia Sex: Female
............... 4 Jane Mayo b: 1795 Sex: Female
..................... +Wm. H. Napier m: December 19, 1855 Sex: Male
......... 3 Williamson Mayo b: 1750 in , Middlesex Co., Virginia d: October 10, 1793 in Patrick, Virginia Sex: Male
............... +Hannah Phelps/Phillips Sex: Female
......... 3 Richard George Mayo b: April 04, 1751 in , Middlesex Co., Virginia d: November 15, 1847 in Fairfield, South Carolina Sex: Male
............... +Lucy Mandley Sex: Female
......... 3 Martha Mayo b: 1752 in , Middlesex Co., Virginia d: Bef. 1776 in , Fluvanna, Virginia Sex: Female
............... +Jehoshaphat Ladd Sex: Male
......... 3 Benjamin Mayo b: 1756 in , Fluvanna, Virginia d: January 22, 1826 in , Fluvanna, Virginia Sex: Male
............... +Mary Henley m: February 04, 1779 Sex: Female
......... 3 Stephen Mayo b: 1757 in , Middlesex Co., Virginia d: March 16, 1847 in , Fluvanna, Virginia Sex: Male
............... +Susannah Trent m: February 06, 1783 in , Fluvanna Co., Virginia Sex: Female
......... 3 Mary (Marianna) Mayo b: March 03, 1764 Sex: Female
............... +Nathaniel Anderson m: November 14, 1783 Sex: Male
......... 3 Thomas Mayo b: 1766 in , Middlesex Co., Virginia Sex: Male
............... +Mary Blair m: Abt. 1783 Sex: Female

SOURCES other than those listed in the body of this piece are:
1. ) 1963 The Virginia Genealogist article on the Family of James Mayo (son of Valentine) from the April-June 1963 issue, volume 7:by Mrs. Bert Harter, Doylestown, Ohio
2. ) Christ Church Parish Records, Christ Church, Virginia
3. ) Middlesex County, Virginia Wills
4. ) Virginia Quit Rent Rolls, 1704, Middlesex, VA
5. ) Albemarle County, Virginia Wills
6. ) DAR Patriot Index
7. ) Jan St. John from the internet: JSTJ88@aol.com
8. ) Federal Census index: 1820 - 1840
9. ) The Wayne Co. Genealogical and Historical Society, Wayne County, WV
10.) Wayne County, WV Census Records
11.) Wayne County Gen. and Historical Society of Graveyards in Wayne Co., WV.
12.) Personal knowledge of Shirley EVELYN Mayo Sparks, my mother.
13.) Personal knowledge of Anna Mae Mayo Clay, eldest sister of Shirley Evelyn Mayo Sparks given to me in Ballard, W.Va. on Aug. 19, 1977. She was 75 years old and her memory was clear. .
14.) Personal knowledge of Nina Mae Clay Saunders, daughter of Anna Mae Mayo Clay given on July 8th, 1997.
15.) Personal knowledge of Ralph Saunders, husband of Nina Mae Clay Saunders given on July 8th, 1997.
16.) Personal knowledge of Fanny Mayo, elder sister of Shirley Evelyn Mayo Sparks, given to me in Ballard, W.Va. on Aug. 19, 1977. She was 73 years old and her memory was clear..
17.) Personal knowledge of Nancy Lou Sparks Morrison, daughter of Shirley Evelyn Mayo Sparks
18.) Carey Highlights: Yesterday for Tomorrow by Virginia Miller Carey.
19.) Connie Mayo from the internet mayo@uswest.net
20.) Michele Thomas from the internet michelet@netscape.net
21.) Virginia Land Grants and Patents, Augusta Co., Virginia
22.) John Kays from the internet jkays@san.rr.com
23.) Revolutionary War Service from the internet slevans3@yahoo.com
24.) DAR Magazine v.93, p 659
25.) Ken Klamm from the internet KrKlamm@aol.com
26.) Documents, Chiefly Unpublished relating to the Hugenot Emigration to Virginia and to the Settlement at Manakin Town, Published by the Virginia Historical Society in 1886
http://www.ls.net/~newriver/va/manakin.htm
http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~bianco/Resources/Doodes%20Min...
27.) Genealogies of Virginia Families; from the William and Mary College Quarterly History Magazine, Vol. 1, Adams -Clopton, With an Introduction by John Frederick Dorman...
28.) YORK COUNTY, VIRGINIA RECORDS 1659-1662...by Benjamin B. Weisiger III - 1989
29.) Wayne Co. WV 1850 Federal Census w/ annotations by Billie Hill Mullins
30.) Dee from the internet deebirda@yahoo.com

Re: Descendants of Valentine Mayo

Posted: 25 Aug 2009 11:21PM GMT
Edited: 26 Aug 2009 5:01PM GMT
Surnames: MAYO, WALKER, CORN, BRENTON
Nancy It seems that you and I are related. Just not sure how. I am through George Richard Mayo 1810-1814 Patrick Co,Va. s/o John Mayo and Judith Corn. Their daughter,Prudence Mayo 1834 Gibson Co.,Indiana -? Pike or Dubois County Indiana m. Dessick(Dessix,Dessie,D.L.)Lockhart Walker. Their daughter,Elzina Walker was my g grandma. Prudence Mayo had a sister,Judah "Judy" Indiana Mayo who m. Dessick.s brother,Almond Bloomfield Walker. Dessick also had a sister named Indiana. Almond died at the battle of Perrysville during the civil war. Brother Dessick was there and another Sampson,as well. They were the sons of Jonathan Walker b. abt 1790 Ky. d. 1856 Dubois County Indiana m. Mary Polly Brenton. Jonathan's parents were from N.C. He had brothers Issac,Benjamin,James in the same Indiana counties where he was,Perry,Knox,Spencer,Dubois and Pike. There was also an older family member,Thomas,who came to visit them and may have lived in Clark Co.,may have been with George Rogers Clark. I will get to why I am telling you about the Walker family in a sec. I,like you have been interested in genealogy sence I was a very young child,listening to my grandma tell the old family stories. And,I have been trying to find the Indian in our line to no avail. This Indian story has been past down for over 5 generations,word for word. Jonathan Walker is the farthest back that I can get.I have an idea that I will find his pedigree in the Melungeon peoples. I have found Mayo listed on census and tax list (I think in Ten. and perhaps Va.) So after reading your Mayo line,which goes with mine,decendents of Valentine,and knowing how the Mayo line fits in with my Walker line,I was thrilled to see that someone else was questioning a possible Melungeon line. Now to the Indian's story,the only one of grandma's stories that I have not been able to prove. There was a many greats grandfather named Beady (? spelling,translation,white man's naming,initials, B.D. or?)Walker. Beady was a Blackfoot Indian (many years later while nearing her death at 89,she did change the story to Cherokee)Beady was married to a white woman. A white man stole his horse. Beady found him and got his horse back,and as was the custom,back then,he killed the theif. But an Indian did not marry a white woman and he could not kill a white man for any reason. When they learned of the killing,the white men followed Beady's pregnant wife to the old hollow tree,as she took him food where he was hidden. The white men took him to the setttlement where he was promptly hanged. I am sure that if I would have been his wife,I would have taken my famiy to someplace and hidden their race. This story was told to me by my grandma,her 2 sisters and Elzina's sister who I got to see a few times before her death. Louisa was a very dear lady who looked as Indian as one could. I have learned sence I have been trying to solve this that Jonathan and his sons were very tall,extremly strong,black hair,dark eyes and complexioned.They could not hold their liquor. Jonathan was a champion bare fisted fighter. Once in Nov. on election day he was bet that he could not remove his clothes,crawl on his hands and knees through the snow to the Patoka River which was encrusted with ice,swim across it,back and then crawl back to where he started. He won the bet. He once through a 300 lb hog across his back,it bit his shoulder and he through it down so hard it killed it. He was arrested for the first murder in Dubois County but was found no guilty. I do have the shovel teeth,as do my children and mother. Have the lump on my neck and the folds of the eyelids. Have a cousin who had 6 toes,all traits. I have also learned that there is a Melungion type peoples who are called The Eastern Blackfoot tribe. And they are a mixture with the Cherokee and Oppichoni(Spelling) DNA probably will do no good as my dad's parents were Croation,and my grandpa may have been part Jewish. The Croation people originated in Iran,or near it as I understand.(Was really shocked when I read about the Croatin Indians and the missing Roanoak people,who knows?) Anyway,I would love to know if you have found anything further on the Mayos as being Melungeon,or if you have heard anything like my Walker Indian ancestor? I just feel that it may have been one of the Mayos from way back,who was in the Walker family.Please feel free to contact me at my email addy
marmsie929@aol.com
HOpe we can connect lines of Melungeon

Posted: 10 Sep 2009 4:58PM GMT
Hey Nancy,

As you know, I have a Copyright book of 350= pages on all this which is documented and sourced with footnotes. It is on file with the library of congress and you purchased it from me several years ago. I don't mind you using it, but not listing me as a source is troubleing. Also, I do want others to have a source for their information, but I wish you would put it down accuarely. I have called your attention to many mistakes over the past and I see you have changed those, but you have errors in this artical. I will only mention one, that hundreds of descendants still living here will not like. Also, I will mention that I do still have a few books that has good information in it.
You should change the following as Emogene (correct spelling) is not the daughter of Cynthia and Newt Smith. I will let you find the others. The following is not accurate:

"+Newton Smith b: May 17, 1882 in Wayne Co. , WV m: August 02, 1918 in Huntington, Cabell, West Virginia d: September 30, 1983 in Wayne Co. , WV Sex: Male
................................ 7 Emmajean Smith Sex: Female
................................ 7 Eula Smith Sex: Female
................................ 7 Madeline Smith Sex: Female
................................ 7 Unknown Smith Sex: Female

Posted: 4 Oct 2009 5:32AM GMT
Surnames: Mayo
Thank you for posting this Nancy; my 4th G-grandfather is Jacob Mayo, just above your 3rd G-grandfather Joseph. I come down through Henry B., Henry J., William P., and Lawrence H. Mayo with Henry B. having gone to Ky. then Mo. and William P. going to Texas.

Volumes and volumes that could be written on; if there were a film producer in the clan, they could produce a weekly top-rated serial and all we'd have to do is re-enact the actual history - no dramatization or embellishment needed.

Posted: 29 Mar 2010 6:29PM GMT
Surnames: Herwig, Mayo, Mulligan
Hello, Nancy...

My name is Loucille Pepin [nee Downey] and I am writing in regard to your genealogy about Valentine Mayo. I have just started researching my family's history and believe you and I are possibly related.

You have a woman listed in your information [Loucille Mulligan Herwig] who was my grandmother [as you can see I was named after her] and she was married to Joseph Mayo. who was my grandfather whom I never met.

I would love to correspond with you. Please feel free to write me back when you have the time.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and I look forward to hearing from you.

Posted: 29 Mar 2010 7:05PM GMT
Hello Loucille,
I wrote to you privately and said I couldn't find your data but then I got the message from Ancestry and see where I mentioned your grandparents.

................................ 7 Joseph Mayo, Jr. b: June 22, 1912 in Wayne Co.,WV d: July 18, 1978 in Huntington, Cabell Co., WV Sex: Male
He was called "Little Joe." Evelyn Mayo (my Mother)did not remember seeing much of him. He was about 5 or 6 years older than she. M. twice Loucille Mulligan Herwig, Marie Lawhorn.

I don't have any more information on his wives but if you can furnish that I would love to add it to my data. Much appreciate that. What I wrote was what my mother remembered.

Please write to me again at nmorri3924@aol.com

Joseph would be my 1st cousin, once removed.
Love
Nancy

Posted: 7 Apr 2010 7:44PM GMT
Surnames: Bankston Mayo
Hello, there is a Valentine Mayo in 1793 in the records of Wilkes County, GA as follows:

"MAYO, VALENTINE, dec'd. Ann Mayo and Valentine Mayo, excrs. Warrant of apprmt Feb. 6, 1793. Jos. Morton, Thos. Hill, Thos. Reynolds, Burwell Brewer, Benj. Crowley, apprs.
The Early Records of Georgia, Volume II, Wilkes County - Start of Page 264"

Elizabeth Mayo married John Young Bankston in Clarke County, GA on 26 Oct 1809. Clarke and Wilkes County GA are connected.

I am trying to find a connection to Elizabeth Mayo who married in 1809 John Young Bankston to the Mayo family in Wilkes County, GA.

Any help is appreciated.
Don Dunnington

Posted: 7 Apr 2010 8:23PM GMT
The Elizabeth noted here, dtr of Valentine and Ann Mayo, MIGHT be the one you are looking for. She was b. abt 1713, Middlesex, VA; d. after 1782 Caroline Co., VA

I have no marriage for her:

1 Valentine Mayo b: 02 Feb 1733/34 in , Middlesex Co., Virginia d: 07 Feb 1793 in , Wilkes Co., Georgia Sex: Male
.. +Ann Patterson m: 1759 Sex: Female
. 2 Ruth Mayo b: Abt. 1770 in , Goochland, Virginia d: 1816 in , Patrick, Virginia Sex: Female
. 2 Mary Mayo Sex: Female
. 2 Sarah Mayo b: 1768 Sex: Female
..... +Isham Richard Burnett b: 1766 Sex: Male
. 2 Nancy Mayo Sex: Female
. 2 Thomas Mayo Sex: Male
. 2 Valentine Mayo Sex: Male
. 2 Elizabeth Mayo Sex: Female
. 2 James Mayo Sex: Male

Nancy

Posted: 8 Apr 2010 12:53AM GMT
Thanks much. This is the best information for Elizabeth Mayo who on 26 Oct 1809 married John Young Bankston being a descendant of Valentine Mayo who died in 1793 in Wilkes County, GA.

But the dates for Elizabeth Mayo born 1713, Middlesex, VA; d. after 1782 Caroline Co., VA indicates she isn’t the dau. of Valentine Mayo who died 1793.

Elizabeth Mayo Bankston is more likely the granddaughter of Valentine and Anne Patterson Mayo. The proof doesn’t seem to be available.

Thanks for the information.

Don Dunnington
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions