Search for content in message boards

looking for family

looking for family

Posted: 17 Aug 2004 3:23AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 18 Oct 2004 10:30PM GMT
Where to I find family members that might be on the roll list?
If anyone can help , please email me.

Re: looking for family

Posted: 17 Aug 2004 2:24PM GMT
Edited: 11 Sep 2006 3:18PM GMT
It isn't quite that easy, Debi. The rolls will only tell you that "someone" by "that name" was on the rolls-- not that it was your "someone". You must first determine exactly who your ancestors were, and (MOST important!) where they were living during the enrollment periods. Most of the rolls required that the Cherokees shown on those rolls were actually living with the tribe on the tribal lands.

Click on http://www.rootsweb.com/~cherokee/page_1.htm for the basic instructions as to how to start.

jc

Posted: 17 Aug 2004 3:12PM GMT
I do have family that was living in Oklahoma an Missouri with
the tribes when all this was going on. My father has a roll number for one great grandmother, but still can't find her.

Posted: 17 Aug 2004 6:39PM GMT
Debi-
When is your idea of "when this was all going on"?? There were 37 rolls of the Cherokees, spread out over more than 100 years!

The Cherokee Tribe never resided in MO, and according to some of your posts to other boards, your "Oklahoma family" resided in Yale, which was in Payne County. Payne County was not even within Indian Territory. Prior to statehood in 1907, the area that became Payne County was in Oklahoma Territory (see map at http://www.rootsweb.com/~cherokee/okmap.htm )

I repeat my prior suggestion.

jc

Posted: 18 Aug 2004 2:07AM GMT
My father has a partial roll number for one of my great grandmothers. What I'm trying to get at is, we was told if we could should at least one direct ancestor had a roll number
we could get registered. I do know my great grandmother Ollie Henderson was indian, because my father has pictures of her, also my 3rd great grandmother Nancy Ann Matney was indian, cause we have a picture of her. Indians run all thru our family we just have to should something that says they are. I just needed help trying to find out where to look an what to do. Debi

Posted: 18 Aug 2004 1:38PM GMT
Debi
I'm trying my best to help you!

The only Cherokee roll that will enable you and your family to become tribal members is the Dawes Roll of 1902/1906. But no one could just file an application, shout "I'm a Cherokee"! and get on that roll. They had to be ELIGIBLE! The site that I was trying to get you to look at would determine if any of your ancestors were eligible to be shown on that roll. If the only ancestors that you had who came to Oklahoma was living in Payne County, no matter WHAT their ancestry- they would NOT have been eligible, under any circumstances! You might want to check out the article at http://www.rootsweb.com/~cherokee/n_a_resea.html to see how strict the requirements were.

As for "pictures"-- at a meeting that I attended a very wise person remarked on this question-- He said "When we can put a picture in a boiling pot and extract a DNA from it, then match that DNA in all points to a living tribal member, ---- THEN we will pay attention to "pictures"!

jrc

Posted: 18 Aug 2004 4:14PM GMT
How do I find out what place the number for my 3rd great grandmother come from? An why doesn't the Guion list count? Just wondering. my aunt said my grandparents were affaid to admitt they're heritage cause they were part white.
We have temp cards from Northern cherokee nation of the Old Louisana Territory. How come it didn't take them long to send those to us? Debi PS) sorry for getting upset...

Posted: 18 Aug 2004 5:02PM GMT
Let me answer your Last question FIRST! Had you even bothered to have gone to the sites that I've suggested, you would see an article on FAKE TRIBES. Your "Northern cherokee nation of the Old Louisana Territory" is only one of the 250 groups who are operating this scam in the United States today. The reason that you got your cards so quickly is that you fulfilled their ONE AND ONLY requirement to become a member -- YOUR CHECK DIDN'T BOUNCE! To demonstrate this, we register a Dalmatian (as in "Dog") as "a half-blood Cherokee" with them, to prove that they didn't check anything and all they want is the money! Cherokee? They wouldn't care if you were a Martian-- as long as your check was good!

As for helping or advising you further- you didn't listen to any of the advice that I gave you, so why should I waste my time?

Please post any future messages to either the OK Territory or Payne County OK message board, because that is the area where your ancestors lived.

jrc
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions