Search for content in message boards

George and Jane Hartley

George and Jane Hartley

Posted: 1 Oct 2011 2:38PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 23 Dec 2011 2:01PM GMT
Surnames: Hartley, Trevillian
I am looking for information on my ggg-grandparents.

I was hoping someone would be able to locate their obituaries:

George Hartley was born in England and came to Mineral Point, Wisconsin around 1850. His first wife died there, and he married my ggg-grandmother Jane Trevillian in 1858. He served in the United States Army during the Civil War and died September 29, 1893, in Mineral Point.

Jane Trevillian was the daughter of Cornish immigrants, born in Mineral Point in 1838. (Parents are James and Jane Trevillian of Mineral Point) She and George had seven children: George, Julia, Elizabeth, Thomas, Mary, William (my gg-grandfather), and Edward. She died February 14, 1920, in Mineral Point.

Thank you for your help!
Tyler Simpson

Re: George and Jane Hartley

Posted: 2 Oct 2011 2:52AM GMT
Tyler,
I suggest you contact the Mineral Point Room (local history collection) at the Mineral Point Public Library. Email is: mparchive@swl.org Website is: http://mineralpoint.com/history/mineral_point_room.html

They have in index of all obits in the Mineral Point newspapers. Good luck.
Bill

Posted: 23 Dec 2011 5:12AM GMT
Hi! Have you had any luck with the Hartley's? I am related to the same family, my gg grandfather William came with George and 2 other brothers from England. They settled in Allamakee Co Iowa but George stopped in Mineral Point WI.
Who was Jane Hartley? Wm was also married to a Jane Hartley and I have been trying to find out more about her for 40 years. My name is Marion Hartley I hope to hear from you.

Posted: 23 Dec 2011 2:37PM GMT
Hi!
I'm so glad you responded! I have run into so many dead ends on the Hartley side of my family. I had never found any viable candidates for George's brothers in Wisconsin, so I always assumed he had come with his first wife Mary's family, but I never knew her maiden name, so I could never be certain. This is exciting! Have you been able to locate the passenger list of them coming over from England? I've never been able to find it.

George was married to Jane Trevillian, who was born in Wisconsin in 1838 to James Trevillian and Jane Rule, both emmigrants from Cornwall, England. I can't say much for William's Jane, as I never knew any of George's brothers, but I can help in the search now that I know! (do you know the names of his other brothers?)

George and Jane had a son named Thomas Hartley who moved to Allamakee County, Iowa, and their other son (my GGgrandfather) William Hartley was married to his first wife in Allamakee County, Iowa, I should have known there was a connection!

Thank you so much for your post!
I look forward to working on the Hartley family with you!
Tyler Simpson, Chatfield, MN

Posted: 23 Dec 2011 2:52PM GMT
yes this is very hopeful. The Hartley Boys are hard to follow for some reason. And you live in Chatfield? I live in Apple Valley and am excited to have you to share this with.
The ship was the HEBE They came in 1848.I hope George was there too. The others were Francis, Benjamin and William. Have you been to Allamakee County?
I am 69 years old, female, retired and work two part time jobs (go figure) . I have met several distant cousins in Houston Co and Allamakee Co. fun huh? Donald Hartley is a descendent of Benjamin. DSo you have a regular email address?

Posted: 23 Dec 2011 4:33PM GMT
I want in on this, too!
I have a Francis Hartley in my tree, wife's name Hepzibah Sneesby, living in Allamakee County.
Is this the Francis you are referring to?
Haven't looked at the Hartley family much yet.
LA

Posted: 23 Dec 2011 4:45PM GMT
I am no relation to this family but you can find some information on the Hartley's in Iowa at this site:

https://www.familysearch.org/search/collection/list#page=1&a...

Posted: 23 Dec 2011 5:50PM GMT
Hello all those researching the Hartley families in Allamakee co. I was raised in Allamakee co. and happen to have a copy of the 1989 History of Allamakee co. and in it on page 178 is a section entitled "Hartley Pioneers" which may be of interest to you. Also another section is titled "Allen and Ella Hartley" with picture of this family taken in the 1950's. Currently my scanner is not working so can't send you a copy. The first paragraph of the pioneers reads as follows, "It was the year 1848. Francis, William, George and James Hartley and sister, Alice, left Purl's Bridge, Cambridgeshire, England, for America. Purl's Bridge is near Manea, northeast from London." I'm sure you will want to see the rest of this article. If you send me your email addy I will try to get a copy scanned and can send it to you. Or maybe someone else on this message board has the book also and can do it. Let me know.
Grace, born in Allamakee co. and currently in Mankato MN

Posted: 23 Dec 2011 6:35PM GMT
You can also find a couple of Hartley biographies here:

http://www.sharylscabin.com/Allamakee/bio13_index.htm

Mike

Posted: 23 Dec 2011 7:02PM GMT
You can also find a number of Hartley gravestone photos at this site:

http://iowagravestones.org/cemetery_list.php?CID=3&cName...

Finally, you may just want to Google Hartley in Allamakee County Iowa. There are many things you will find of interest.

I think it's time for me to bow out since I am unrelated to this family.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic