Search for content in message boards

y chromosome DNA testing

y chromosome DNA testing

Posted: 4 Apr 2006 3:03PM GMT
Classification: Query
I recently completed a y chromosome DNA test (at familytreedna.com, other providers also available). To date only one other Fry ( out of 24,000 total submitters) has submitted a DNA sample (painless cheek swab). The more Frys in the database, the better the chance of breaking down some brick walls via an alternate to traditional genealogy methods. Also see the embryonic Fry(e) DNA website at www.worldfamilies.net/surnames/f/frye/ and ysearch.com.

(I am not affiliated with FT DNA or any other testing company : ) )

Mike Fry

Re: y chromosome DNA testing

Carolyn Wells (View posts)
Posted: 7 Apr 2006 11:42AM GMT
Surnames: Fry/Sweney/Wells
Mike,

My gr gr grandmother was Hannah Jane Fry. We spelled it differently through the generations (Fry, Frey, Frye). She was born in PA in 1840 and died in 1879 in Hebron, IN. She married David Lytle Sweney.

Are you any relation?

Posted: 25 Apr 2006 8:59PM GMT
I am looking for George Washington Fry. He is my grandfather. My sister is getting ready to do an DNA profile to see if there is native american blood. George was suppose to be. Do you know if you are of native american descent. We have looked and found nothing. Could you help? I would love any information that you might have on any fry's from Dunklin county missour, Illinois or Arkansas. I will try to do this DNA test that you mentioned.

Re: George Washington Fry

Posted: 25 Apr 2006 9:33PM GMT
I don't have any info about Frys in the states you listed, nor about GW Fry. None of the Frys in my line were Native American. One maternal ggrandparent Rebecca Washer b1824 in IN may have been, although no conclusive proof to date.

Re: George Washington Fry

Posted: 29 Apr 2006 1:25AM GMT
I really appreciate your replying to me. If I can help you with any information please let me know. Thanks again and God Bless and good luck in all of your searches.

Re: Geeroge Washington Fry

Cathy Kesseler (View posts)
Posted: 1 May 2006 1:50PM GMT
Surnames: Fry, Frye
Which George Washington Fry? I'm a descendent of George Washington Fry born 1842 Indiana died July 1917 Freso, CA..
Cathy

Posted: 6 May 2006 7:54PM GMT
I don't know much about my grandfather George Washington Fry. What I know was that he lived in Dunklin county because that is where my mother was born(Mae Fry) Laura Jones Fry was her mother. Her Father was not spoken of much and was gone when she was really young. She did not know what happened to him. Her mother just said he was gone and not coming back. We think he was native american but we are not sure. One census said that he was born in Illinois and one said Arkansas. If you would like to share your information I would love to hear from you. Thanks and God Bless. littlegrandmaconnie@socket.net.

Cathy Kesseler (View posts)
Posted: 7 May 2006 5:19AM GMT
My great great grandfather was George Washington Fry,son of Daniel Fry and Amanda Clark. He was born Sept 6 1843 in Green County Indiana. At some point the family moved to Iowa.His first wife was Sarah Palmer they married in Biglers Grove Iowa and moved to California. They had 6 children, in 1876 he left Sarah and went back to Iowa. Sarah divorced him. In Jan 1877 George Washington Fry was in Crook City South Dakota (near Deadwood). The family stoey has it that he married a widow (Mrs Ashworth) who had a little girl. The widow died and he returned to Iowa with the little girl, Addie. In 1880 he married Candace Amelia Durman (my great great grandmother) they moved to Tulare County California, They had 14 childdren. He died in 1917.

In researching my great great grandfather I have come across a George W. Fry, who lived in northern california and George Washington Fry who was born in 1844 in Wisconsin and died in 1910 in Wisconsin.
Hope some of this helps. Cathy

Posted: 12 May 2006 3:24PM GMT
Edited: 29 Nov 2006 10:40PM GMT
Surnames: Fry, Frye
I have Fry "cousins" (not proven) descended from Oren C. Fry b. Feb 1835 in NY, died 1918 possibly in Williamson, Wayne Co., NY, first wife Caroline Smalldridge. Oren's brothers may include Almond Fry (my gg grandfather, no male heirs), Stephen Fry (b. Aug 1831 NY) of Rollin, Lenawee Co., MI, Ira Fry (b. Jul 1825 NY, died Mecosta, Mecosta Co., MI?), and Samuel Fry (b. ca 1844 NY). My ggg grandparents were Obediah Fry (b. ca 1803 NY) and Olive Braman (b. 1803, NY). Oren's father may also have been Obediah. We don't know who Obediah's parents were, but think they may have been Obediah Frye and Lydia Southwick (Quakers born in MA, died in Farmington, Ontario Co., NY). If so, then my cousins and I relate to the Fryes of Kittery, York Co., Maine. We are interested in the Y-chromosome test, but unless we can find someone else who may be related to the Fryes of Kittery, there isn't much point. The familytreedna.com and associated worldfamilies.net web sites offer a group rate for Fry(e) family members. If anyone thinks they may be related and wants to do a Y-chromosome test (or even if they don't), please get in touch.

Posted: 2 Jun 2010 4:55PM GMT
Lydia Fry of Williamson, NY married Daniel Pender in 1842 and they migrated to Michigan as part of a Quaker migration. Pender decendants are still there.

Donald Pender
786-298-6639
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions