as well as in hamlets such as Loch Carron, Plockton,
Duranish, Tornapress (Lochalsh District),

and in Skye, Inverness Shire

Applecross & Lochalsh etc

Lesley Instone (View posts)
Posted: 8 Oct 1998 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Gillanders, MacDonald, MacLennan
Looking for information on my Gillanders, MacDonald and MacLEnnan ancestors from this area (also in Contin).
Gg Grandmother was Anne MACDONALD, born 1825 Torridon, who married John GILLANDERS (from Contin) in Torridon or Annat, Applecross on 1 May 1852. I am descended from their son Kenneth Alexander GILLANDERS. Anne's parents were John MACDONALD,(son of Donald MACDONALD and Anne MACDONALD), fisherman/crofter at Torridon/Annat and Anne MACDONALD (daughter of Duncan MACDONALD and Jane MACIVER of Kinlochewe) who married in Torridon on 21 January 1815. I have information on a number of these MacDonalds .
Also looking for information on other gg grandparents, John MACLENNAN (son of Alexander MACLENNAN and Catherine GILLANDERS) and spouse Isabella HARVEY (daughter of Thomas HARVEY and Magdalene THOMSON) - John MACLENNAN had farms at Carnoch and Scardroy in Strathconon which he passed on to two sons before moving to Fernaig, Lochalsh where he died on 1 January 1883 aged 72. Any information on the Fernaig property, or on these MacLennans or Harveys would be appreciated, particularly on the origins of John's parents Alexander MacLENNAN and Catherine GILLANDERS - which Gillanders family does she connect to? Catherine GIILLANDERS was apparently born in Contin c1771 (a widow aged 80 with her son John in 1851 census but died before 1855). Siblings of John were Murdoch c1804 (died Australia 1870) Donald c1808 (died Australia 1853) Roderick c1813 (died Scatwell Mains, Strathconon 1887), Malcolm bap 1814 Contin, Duncan bap 1816 Contin, and Anne (m1829 to Alexander McRae).

Skye

Wilmer Fawcett (View posts)
Surnames: Gillis, MacLeod
Looking for Gillis (John, Malcolm) and MacLeod, John Duncan from Skye early-mid 1800s, to PEI

URL

Diane MacKenzie (View posts)
Surnames: MacKenzie, MacLennan, MacLeod, MacDonald, others
My URL address is "http://www.dvol.com/~users/diane/index.htm". Hope that gets you there. If not just manually type it in. Also, my SYSOP told us earlier today that there is a problem with the internet lines in the area (not sure how widespread it is), but it involves Bell Atlantic phone lines, etc. So, if you encounter any problems getting to the site, try again later.

Diane

Diane's Home Page

Duncan Macdonald (View posts)
Thanks, Diane, for responding to my posting of Oct 1.

My old browser cannot utilize your link to your home page.

Would you *kindly* send me the "http:" string for your
home page?

A thousand thanks!

Love,

Duncan

Surname search

Diane MacKenzie (View posts)
Surnames: MacKenzie, MacLennan, MacLeod, MacDonald, Beaton, Matheson, and more
I have the surnames you listed in your search, and they come mostly from Lochs, Lochcarron region (Carloway & region). My branch of the MacLennans left the Isle of Lewis region in the mid 1800's to go to the Isle of Bute, Rothesay region. You may want to check out my web page, where I have my family tree listed with over 1200 Scottish surnames as of present. Let me know if you see anything that might link us.

GILLANDERS

Lesley Instone (View posts)
Posted: 4 Nov 1998 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: GILLANDERS
Also looking for information on parents, descendants siblings etc of my gggg grandparents John Gillanders (born c1769, d July 1839 Kinlochluichart, Contin) and Catherine MacLennan (born c 1778 Contin daughter of John MacLennan and Isabella McKenzie, died 1 June 1857 Little Scatwell, buried Achanault Strathbran).
Known children are Alexander (1797-1870 married to Janet McLennan - my ggg grandparents), Ann (born 1808 d 20 July 1873 Balvraid Muir of Ord), Janet (b 1809 Contin d 31 Dec 1880 Balgui Shieldaig Applecross m to Duncan Fraser 1838 Glenmoriston Inverness), Margaret b 1812 d 21 Feb 1860 Brahan), and Donald (b Nov 1812 d 1883 m 18 Dec 1835 Contin to Margaret McGregor)
Known siblings of John Gillanders are Roderick (married Barbara MacLennan?), Donald (married Ann MacLean?), and Jean ( died prior to 1855, married to Alexander TUACH),
Any information on any connections to this family would be greatly appreciated.

Gillanders

Posted: 5 Nov 1998 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 10 Jun 2002 3:42AM GMT
Surnames: Gillanders
I am doing research on the Gillanders surname. I have a
William Beaton from Lochcarron who married a Peggy
Gillanders on June 1, 1905 in Inverness. They had the
following children: Donald who married a Chrissie MacLean
and he died in Dingwall in 1985, Murdo born 1908 and died in 1994 in Lochcarron, James born 1911, Mary born
1909 in Glasgow and married a Donald MacArthur,
Alastair born 1913, and Kenneth born 1916 and he lived
in Cupar Angus.

Does any of these names tie into your research?

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Frances L. Beaton

Your E-Mail

Posted: 8 Nov 1998 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 10 Jun 2002 3:42AM GMT
Surnames: Gillanders
Dear Lesley:
Thank you for your e-mail. Yes, Peggy is short for
Margaret. I do not have a copy of the marriage certificate
but I do know that Peggy's father's name dwas Murdo
Gillander and her mother's maiden name was Ann Beaton.
Peggy was 24 years old when she was married, born approximately 1881 and was married on June 1, 1905
in Inverness.

I hope this helps with your query.

Sincerely,

Frances L. Beaton

John William Gillis

Brian Wikene (View posts)
Posted: 2 Dec 1998 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Gillis
I have a John William Gillist of Ireland or Scotland... about 1804...
per page

Find a board about a specific topic