Search for content in message boards

KUHAR

Posted: 10 May 1998 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 5 Nov 2001 3:57PM GMT

Looking to connect with anyone searching the KUHAR name. My KUHAR family came from somewhere in Slovenia to America between 1873 and 1878. They lived in St. Anthony (Kraintown) in Stearns County, Minnesota. This was one of the earliest Slovenian settlements. Also interested in talking with anyone with connections to Stearns County Slovenes. Eventually most of the family moved to St. Paul. Anton KUHAR changed his name to KOHER. Valentine KUHAR disappears after the 1900 census. His last known location was Sauk Rapids (Benton County), Minnesota.

Kuhar surname

T. Sheesley (View posts)
Posted: 13 Mar 1999 12:00PM GMT
Hi, I am researching my husbands family and his mothers family's last name is Kuhar. All I know is my husbands great-grandfather's name was Andrew Kuhar. I am trying to concentrate on his name so far. I know that was probably from Czechoslovakia or somewhere around there but I don't know when they came to America and my husbands grandmother doesn't know either. If you have anything that may help me please email me back. Maybe we can help eachother out somehow. Thank you for your time.

T. Sheesley

Found Kuhar home village

Posted: 29 Mar 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 5 Nov 2001 3:57PM GMT
Surnames: KUHAR, KOCJANCIC, VIDIC
After 5 years of researching, I recently found the village of origin of my KUHAR family. My great-grandfather, Anton KUHAR, was born in the small village of Srednja vas, which is today part of Podbrezje. His father was Joannes (John) KUHAR (born May 1816) and mother was Rosalia KOCJANCIC (born August 1815). Their children, besides Anton (born 5 April 1853) were Valentine (born Feb 1844), Joseph (born Feb. 1846), Maria (born May 1848), John (Joannes) born June 1851, and Aloysius born May 1857. The parents of John Sr. were Josef KUHAR and Ana VIDIC.

All were born in Srednja vas House #8, the house known as Pavovc. My family emigrated to America.

Re: Found Kuhar home village

kathy wilcox (View posts)
Posted: 4 Jan 2002 9:07PM GMT
My maiden name is Kuhar. I am visting Hungary in April. Do you know where this home village is located?

Re: Kuhar surname

Posted: 5 Jun 2003 6:30PM GMT
Edited: 29 Sep 2003 10:23PM GMT
Surnames: Kuhar, Kohar, Kuchar
Hi! I don't know if you are still looking for Andrew Kuhar, but I may be able to help - I recently found an Andrew Kuhar listed in the Akron, Ohio city directory for 1930. I also think I remember an Andrew Kuhar on SSDI, from the NE Ohio area. I am looking for my great-grandfather John Kuhar (or Kuchar or Kohar) and have not been too sucessful, but have run across Andrew Kuhar.......Best of luck!

Posted: 1 Mar 2008 4:54AM GMT
Surnames: Kuhar, Suarez
I am not sure if I have the correct Andrew Kuhar, but my Great Grandfather was also Andrew Kuhar, born 4/24/1870 from Stajanskivak, Austria. He married Mary Baskovich, who was born on 4/1/1880. If I have the right family email me back and see if we can help each other with family ancestry.

Posted: 12 Mar 2008 7:38PM GMT
My grandfather was Stephan John Kuhar b 18 Dec 1882 in Austria, immigrated to Brooklyn, Dist 8 around 1895. He was married to Amelia Ostrofsky from Czechoslovakia, and his mother's first name was Susanna.

Otherwise the Kuhar branch is a brick wall. It would be great to find a connection.

Posted: 12 Mar 2008 7:43PM GMT
Surnames: Kuhar
Your grandfather was likely Slovenian. Kuhar was a Slovenian name and Austria was the country that controlled that part of the world at that time. Have you researched where the Slovenians who settled in Brooklyn District 8 around that time came from? He is likely from the same area they came from in Slovenia or close to it.

Posted: 18 Mar 2008 12:29AM GMT
KUHAR which translated means cook is NOT strictly a Slovenian name. Kuhar is cook in several Slavic languages and is a common surname in Croatia and other Slavic countries.

His Grandfather could have been Slovenian or he could have been Slovak as was his wife and as the census states

Robert Jerin
Croatian Heritage Museum
Cleveland Ohio

Re: Found Kuhar home village

Posted: 23 Mar 2013 7:43PM GMT
Surnames: Kuhar
My great grandmother was Mary or Maria. She lived in stearns county. Had a baby out of wedlock and I am trying to find the father of daughter, Mary
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions