Search for content in message boards

Kaats-Waldron

Kaats-Waldron

Posted: 16 Jul 2002 4:23AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 24 Dec 2002 6:46PM GMT
Surnames: Kaats-Waldron
I am looking for information on Kaats in Kansas, Iowa and Oklahoma, Lee County, Butler County, Cowley County. I'm also looking for information on Pike Hotel or Metropolitan Hotel in Douglas. Also, information on Jack Waldron who changed his name from Kaats. Appreciate any help on lookups too!

Re: Kaats-Waldron

Posted: 18 Feb 2010 8:04PM GMT
Surnames: Kaats, Jones
I know of a Myrtle Kaats who came from Kansas to Noble County, Oklhoma. Had a son name Louis. She was born about 1872. By 1930 son and her and wife (Hattie) were in Queens, New York and he was running a restuarant (according to census). Don't know if they ever went back to the farm in Oklahoma. In 1913 she remarried Benjamin Franklin Jones, who did about 1918. So she went by Jones after that.

Larry Hardesty
ebony51@frontiernet.net

Posted: 28 Nov 2010 11:30PM GMT
Thanks for your reply. I just found it. Do you know what ever happened to her first husband, William Kaats? He's my great grandfather and the reason I started searching our family. I have not been able to find where or when he died.

Posted: 29 Nov 2010 4:52AM GMT
I do not know. I assumed he had died. However, I will write that my mother thought my great-grandfather Benjamin Franklin Jones was having an affair with her before his wife died (and maybe before her husband died). I have no idea if this is true or not.

Larry Hardesty

Posted: 29 Nov 2010 2:14PM GMT
I guess the affair would explain the age difference. Myrtle moved to New York with all her children and stayed there until she died in 1950. So, no, she did not return to the farm. I wonder what happened to it. Do you have any pictures that might have Myrtle in them?

Posted: 29 Nov 2010 2:21PM GMT
Are Hazel, Jennie and Pearl Benjamin's daughters?

Posted: 29 Nov 2010 5:22PM GMT
Surnames: Jones, Kaats, Martin
I might have a picture of Myrtle, but not sure. I will do some looking. Yes, the children of Ben and his wife are:

Pearl (youngest); Hazel, Jennie, Lillie, and Roy. I think the farm was in the family until the early 1940s. I have talked with the family now on the farm. What is your connection with Myrtle? I think only one grandchild of Ben and his wife is still alive, but quite a few great-grandchildren are (including myself).

I always have been interested in how one goes from a farm in rural Oklahoma to New York City. What is the story--if you do not mind.

Larry Hardesty
ebony51@frontiernet.net

Posted: 29 Nov 2010 9:30PM GMT
Myrtle is my great grandmother. I have never seen a picture of her so I would be grateful to see one.

I do not know why they all moved to New York. That's a good question and I will try to figure that out. I was told years ago they moved in 1926. I think my grandfather, Homer, left his wife, Jesse and children when he moved to New York where he met my grandmother. When she found out he was still married she ordered him back to his wife and either reconcile or divorce. She wouldn't see him until this was resolved. He obtained the divorce in 1929. So that tells me they moved somewhere between 1926 and probably 1928. When my grandparents were reunited they lived a very long and happy life together.
I do not know what happened to my great grandfather, William Kaats, or the land he had in Oklahoma. I have not been able to find anything. It is possible he married a woman named Sadie K. but I haven't been able to confirm.
Do you have any documents or letters?
Linda

Posted: 29 Nov 2010 9:59PM GMT
I can tell the story that came down my side of the family. YOur great-grandmother was known as "Mert" by Ben's daughters. She was the new step-mother and not well-received the grown and almost grown daughters. My grandmother "Jennie" said she and the youngest daugheter (Pearl) "went out the back door when the new wife came in the front door." Pearl was a bit more diplomatic, and said, "We did not approve of the woman Pappa married." As I wrote earlier, my mother had been told Ben was having an affair with Myrtle before his first wife died, but that could be the story told by one or more of the "step-daughters" who did not want a new mother. Send me your e-mail and I will see what pictures I have, if any. The house and buildings are all gone, and the current owners have a newer house up away from the creek. The one living grandson told me the house was built of walnut because that was what was convenient in the area. Don't know of that is true or not. I may have the legal description of the land. I am pretty sure it was sold around 1940 and the daughters, one son, and your grandmother split up the proceeds. I was told she did not want to sell. I was also told that she and her son and daugheter-in-law lived on the place for several years without paying rent. Not exactly several year if left by 1926...and I would think a widow due some consideration. So one of those family issues from almost a 100 years ago!!

Good to hear from you and I will see what more I have.

Larry Hardesty
ebony51@frontiernet.net

Posted: 30 Nov 2010 12:30AM GMT
Love the story. It will add to the Heritage Book I am putting together. It puts one in the moment so to speak. How strange to hear a story from someone not your family. I'm sorry I don't have anything to share back. I didn't even know her husband's name. In fact I wasn't convinced she was remarried. I do know she was referred to by my relatives as "Mother Jones". Apparently, my great grandfather, William robert, was not a nice man. "Mean SOB" was how my Dad used to say. No wonder "Mert" strayed. It's amazing that through you and me this little story can carry on after, as you say, almost 100 years later.
So if Ben died in 1918 and they weren't in New York until about 10 years later, she could have owed rent all that time? Why would she have had to pay rent anyway? Mortgage perhaps?
My e-mail is lpasquan@verizon.net
I really do appreciate anything that you might find. I'm afraid I do not have anything. There is a Ray Kaats that still lives in New York. He made contact with some of our family about 10 years ago. Had said he had a suitcase full of stuff that was his mothers. We lost contact with him though.
Thanks so much for sharing,
Linda
per page

Find a board about a specific topic