Search for content in message boards

Angeline Leatherwood, McMinn Co., TN

Angeline Leatherwood, McMinn Co., TN

Posted: 30 Jan 2002 12:23AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Leatherwood
Does anyone have info on the Leatherwood family of McMinn Co., TN? My great, great grandmother was Angeline Leatherwood - married William Walter Eaton. I have always been told that she was Cherokee and I am trying to find out more information. Thanks. - Robin Darnell

Re: Angeline Leatherwood, McMinn Co., TN

Posted: 25 Feb 2003 9:13PM GMT
Surnames: Leatherwood,Wilson, Walker, Corbin, Yandell, Vinesett, Adair,Tucker, Smith, Austin,Logan, Brothers
Was your gggrandmother's father Aquilla?
If so we are probably kin my ggggrandmother was Harriett Matilda Leatherwood McGraw and her mother was Martha Wilson. Your grandmother may have been the daughter of Aquilla and Jane Cox same father. I have been trying to find someone who will confirm that the Leatherwoods were Indian and so far I have not had much luck. It's something the family knows but is still not willing to make known.
If you find anything will you please email me.
Thanks
Linda

Mark Eaton (View posts)
Posted: 14 Jan 2004 6:27PM GMT
Linda: Robin is, by my reckoning, my 2nd cousin once removed. Angeline was my ggm, son Horace Eaton my grandfather. If you haven't already, see her Guion Miller application (#36122). She was an orphan at 10 and gives no clue to who finished raising or where, but she throws out somes other family names in the application. Her gm, Sarah Collins Cox, is a mystery, but comes from Hawkins Co., TN, where Collins is a common Saponi/Melungeon name. Hope this helps!

Linda Corbin Ford (View posts)
Posted: 14 Jan 2004 7:40PM GMT
Surnames: Leatherwood Yandell Smith Corbin Logan Vinesett Wilkins Austin McGraw
Thanks for answering but I am at a loss. Who is Angeline Leatherwood? Is she Betsy ?
Linda

Mark Eaton (View posts)
Posted: 15 Jan 2004 1:14PM GMT
Linda: Angeline is Aquilla and Jane's daughter born to them in 1852 in Alabama. The info on her Miller app. is kind of murky -consider that she was an orphan at age 10 during the Civil War- and I can't find out who raised her after that point. She lists her gf as Sam Leatherwood, but other family researchers point to Edward "Ned" Leatherwood (b. 1754, Va) as Aquilla's father and Elizabeth Walker as mother. Elizabeth is the daughter of Betsy Walker, Cherokee full-blood. Like I said have a look at her Miller app.(36122).She is listed in the index under her married name of Eaton. You will also see my gf Horace there, but his app does not afford any more info. Hers also contains interview with Indian agent.

Posted: 27 Feb 2005 5:32AM GMT
Surnames: Leatherwood/Jaques
I don't know if this is my Leatherwood family or not, but would appreciate any info you can share. My ggm is a Leatherwood and she was married in McMinn Co., Tn to James S Jaques. On 02/25/1877. Her name was Lovely Leatherwood. Just wondering if any of the folks you have could be relatives. As i'm a newbi I can use all the help I can get.
Thanks for any help you can give me,
per page

Find a board about a specific topic