Search for content in message boards

William Matson, sea capt. Matson Lines - born 1847 Sweden

William Matson, sea capt. Matson Lines - born 1847 Sweden

Posted: 5 May 2002 6:20AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 4 Oct 2005 1:53PM GMT
Surnames: Matson
William Matson, founder of Matson Lines was my g g grandfather. It is assumed he was perhaps an orphan because there is no info on his parents. He was born in Lysekil, Sweden in 1847 (I think). and came to San Francisco in @ 1860-61. Does ANYONE think they know info on siblings, parents, cousins???

Re: William Matson, sea capt. Matson Lines

Posted: 5 Jul 2005 7:41AM GMT
Edited: 29 Aug 2006 6:12PM GMT
I am also researching the Matson Shipping Lines. Family tradition states our direct line sold out to the rest of the family. Also, that some of the ships were sunk during the War of 1812. Don't know more, since I am stuck on this point. Haha, maybe not true?

Paul Stewart (View posts)
Posted: 6 Jul 2005 3:08AM GMT
Edited: 4 Oct 2005 1:54PM GMT
Matson Lines wasn't a company until the 1880s so I'm not certain that we're talking about the same family if your company goes back to 1812. I'm always interested to hear more though.

Posted: 7 Jul 2005 7:31PM GMT
Surnames: Matson, Skinner
My family tradition says that my direct ancestor sold out to his brother. I have been researching the history of Matson Lines (Matson Navigation Company) and discovered that a William Matson began the company. My ancestor Eli b. 1768 had a brother named William b. 1780. Parents of Eli and William were William Matson b. 1732 and Eunice Skinner b. 1738 in New London County, Connecticut. This particular William would have been too old to begin the company in 1882 (102 years), but maybe this is my ancestor Eli's nephew (son of his brother William). If this sounds familiar, let's keep in touch. I have much more information.

Jennifer Kerns kerns_jennifer@yahoo.com

Posted: 7 Jul 2005 7:45PM GMT
The reason I mention this is because it is a family tradition. Usually when I cannot find anything on an ancestor and I have hit a roadblock it is because I have some little tiny piece of information wrong. Maybe this will help, maybe not. Either way, I am interested in what you said about Sweden.

Jennifer Kerns

Posted: 7 Jul 2005 9:53PM GMT
Well...maybe the tradition is just referencing the wrong war. William was born in 1847 and came to San Francisco in 1963 (right in the middle of the Civil War). He crewed on a ship until he was able to afford his own ship...and then the comapny was born.

Posted: 7 Jul 2005 9:55PM GMT
Edited: 4 Oct 2005 1:55PM GMT
Probably should have read this one first! My great grandfather came to the States from Lysikil, Sweden in @ 1863 as an orphan. I know zilch about his family before that. No info on cousins etc.

Re: William Matson, sea capt. Matson Lines - born 1847 Sweden

Posted: 2 Dec 2008 3:31AM GMT
Classification: Biography
Edited: 2 Dec 2008 3:56AM GMT
Surnames: Matson, Matsson
I found William Matson in Who's Who on the Pacific Coast, A biographical complilation of notable living comtemporaries west of the Rocky Mountains, Harper Publishing Company 1913.  It does not give a middle name.  It states: William Matson, Capitalist.  Born Sweden October 18, 1840.  Edu. public schools, Sweden.  Came to American 1863.  Was Capt. on San Francisco Bay on schooner "William Frederick"; built "Emma Claudian" to run to Sandwich Islands, 1882, which was the beginning of Matson nav. Co. (now pres).  One of the builders of pipe line from Gaviota to Santa Maria oil fields.  Coalinga to Monterey; sold interests to Associated Oil Co., after operating 5 years.  Organized Honolulu Oil Co.; Dri., Merchants Exchange; Pres., Honolulu Consolicated Oil Co.,Commercial Petroleum co., Atlas Wonder Mining Co., Dir. Natl Ice Co. Honolulu Plantation Co., Paauhau Sugar Plantation o. Consul of Sweden.  Clubs: Pacific Union, Behemian Commonwealth.The same basic information is in Who was Who in America, A Companion Volume to Who's Who in America Vol. 1, 1897-1942.  His death date is given as 11 Oct 1917.I understand from a Swedish researcher that his given name there was Wilhelm Matsson and he was born in Lysekil in 1849.  It has always been family history that he was related to my grandmother's family, but I have not yet connected them.  If you need more info, please write akwildfire@aol.com.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions