Search for content in message boards

Berkshire Tulls

Berkshire Tulls

Posted: 15 Jan 2002 12:41PM GMT
Classification: Query
My father-in-law is Alan Charles Tull, born 1914 and has brother, John, and sisters Hilda, Mabs, Etta and Wynn. Their family home was Reading. Any one out there recognize the names and family?

Re: Berkshire Tulls & Alan

Donna Neal (View posts)
Posted: 15 Jan 2002 5:05PM GMT
This may be a cincidence, but the only Alan I have in my Tull file is Alan Waters Tull, born 9 Dec 1885 in Somerset Co, Maryland...he DIED, apparently single, in 1913, not sure where. He had several sibs, notably a brother named Oscar, who married a Mary A. Long. This MAY have been one of their kids. Any clue to the parents' names???

Posted: 15 Jan 2002 7:37PM GMT
The Alan that I am looking in to is still alive and will be 88 years old on 7th April this year. He married an Elizabeth Josephine Morgan McGrath on 26 th December, sixty years ago this coming Boxing Day, at Burryport, Glamorgan. I would like to find out about the family for their 60th anniversary. Thank you for your response. Regards, Sonia.

Donna Neal (View posts)
Posted: 21 Jan 2002 7:54AM GMT
Maybe I did not make myself clear....
The Tull family, a closed group by all accounts, tended to name kids in the old world way (after someone who just died). Your Alan was born in 1914, my Alan died the year before...........
Have you gone to the Tull Website or the Tull Research Group???

Donna Neal (View posts)
Posted: 21 Jan 2002 8:11AM GMT
Okay, another thought....

My Tull family file contains only related Tulls (linked) and it has 1779 Tull last names, not including wives, and 30 Tully's from around Clonfert, Galway, Ireland. These go back to about 1060 A.D., but are not proven.....Most Tulls in America can trace back to two guys from Berkshire and some people connect them to Matthew Tull/Tully, who was probably assassinated by Cromwell (he seized the family property for opposing him). Some of us think that the "problems" were the reason the Tulls left Ireland and then Berkshire...there ARE Tull researchers in the Berkshire area who are part of the Tull Online Research Group. That is why I ask if you have contacted them.......

Posted: 20 Jan 2003 1:45AM GMT
Edited: 5 Dec 2008 1:28AM GMT
Surnames: Tull, Masters
Just checked into the message boards again and now know that our Charles Tull was listed on the 1881 Census in Burton on Trent, Staffordshire as being born in Windsor, Berkshire, England. He was 57 in 1881 and was married to Sarah, who was born in Bath, Somerset, Eng, and possibly born Sarah Oakford. Children were Annette (my great grandmother), Oakford Dudley, Emily and a grandson Charles Bryce (mother not known to me as yet). This Charles died in 1891 and Annette, married to George Masters was found in the 1901 Census in Newhall, Derbyshire. Is this Charles connectecd to the Berkshire Tulls that you are referring to?

Donna Neal (View posts)
Posted: 19 Feb 2003 10:42PM GMT
They could well be related, but the Tull "brothers" left England around 1660, so this may be a split that occurred long ago. Roy Juch at <royjuch@juch.net> would be much more well-versed than I in the English Tulls......
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions