Search for content in message boards

Co. Clare-associated Surnames

Co. Clare-associated Surnames

Posted: 2 Feb 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 22 Jun 2001 5:38PM GMT
Surnames: Neylon, O'Brien, Studdert, Westropp, McInerney, Kinnerk, MacKeniry, MacEniry, MacNeir, Kiniry
Interesting facts regarding Co. Clare Surnames:

1. Neylon - Comes from the diminutive of the Christian name Niall, thus Niallain. Originally a medical family and advisers to the powerful O'Briens. Their original seat was at Ballyalla and they then spread northwards into the province of Connacht.

2. Studdert - An Anglo-Irish name of one of the best-known families of later times in Co. Clare, believed to have originated there in 1669. The name is derived from the word "studherd," meaning a keeper of horses, and the family has been much associated with sports of all kind in Co. Clare. They also intermarried frequently with the Westropp family.

3. McInerney - (Mac an Airchinnigh) Son of the "erenagh" which means a steward of church lands, a prestigious occupation. One of the principal septs of Thomond. (Thomond in the old days would have represented all of Clare and part of what is now Limerick). It is one of the most numerous names in Co. Clare. In Clare this name is almost pronounced "MacInerkney" - thus giving rise to the name Kinnerk and other variations such as MacKeniry, MacEniry, MacNeir and Kiniry, per "Irish Roots" genealogy publication.

Surnames

Posted: 4 Feb 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Foudy, Creagh, McMahon, Daly, Griffey, Keane, Kane, McKeane, McCahan, O'Brien, Griffin, O'Loughlin
Other County Clare-associated surnames:

1. Foudy (O Fouda)- This name thought to be derived from "fuadach" which means plundering. Originally a Mayo name, it is now very common in Clare. Sometimes it can be "translated" as Swift or Speed, both of which you would need if you went aplundering!

2. Creagh - An adjectival surname from the word "craobh" which means branch, from the practice of this clan carrying a green branch into battle when fighting the Danes in Limerick.

3. McMahon - A very old name which comes from the O'Brien family, Mahon having been the grandson of Brian Boru, the High King of Ireland and self-styled Emperor of the Irish.
The Thomond branch of the family can trace its origin back to the foundation of Ennis and the Ennis Friary, founded by the O'Briens in the thirteenth century.

McMahon means "son of a bear," and McMahon is the most numerous surname in Clare at this time. The McMahon's patrimony was Corca Baisceann comprising the baronies of Moyarta and Clonderlaw in the SW of Co. Clare. Ironically, the last chief of the name was accidentally killed at Bearhaven in 1602. Marshal McMahon, Duke of Magenta and President of the French Republic from 1873 to 1879 was from this clan.

4. Daly - (O Dalaigh), a very old sept who had a bardic school in Finvarra on the shores of Galway Baay. There is a memorial to the O Dalaigh school on the site. This clan was always associated with the O'Loughlins of the Burren. Some members of the family were poets to the powerful O'Brien clan.

5. Griffey - (O Griobhtha) - This proud name means "descendant of Griobta" (griffin-like), a fierce warrior. The name of a Dalcassian (Clareman) family who were chiefs of Cinal Cullachta in the SE barony of Inchiquin with their castle at Ballygriffey not far from Ennis. This name is still common in this area but in other places it has become anglicised as Griffin which was originally a Welsh name.

6. Keane - (Kane, McKeane, McCahan). A family of West Clare people who were coarbs of St. Senan of Scattery Island, per "Irish Roots" genealogy periodical. (I don't know what a coarb is, sorry, do you?) In Munster Province this name is associated with the Christian name Cian and the name Marcus is also associated with this family.

Resources

Hi, Take a look at a couple Irish surname books at your local genealogy library, see what they have to say for history, variations and distribution. Also, I posted an "ideas for research type" post at the Co. Westmeath Query (G-R) website in October, 1999, with a recent addendum. The Mormon IGI on line or at your local FHC is your best bet, as well as the Filby volumes and PERSI volumes found at genealogy libraries. URLs:

Query: http://cgi.rootsweb.com/~genbbs/qindex.html

Mormon: http://www.familysearch.org

IreAtlas: http://www.seanruad.com/

Cyndi's: http://www.cyndislist.com/
Edited: 15 Jul 2001 3:14PM GMT
Surnames: McNertney
To Jean Rice,

My maiden name is McNertney, very similar to MacInerkney.
Great grandparents from County Clare (I think).Do you think there could be a connection of McNertney to MacInerkey. Have no other information about my McNertney ancestors. Where do I go from here? Many thanks.
Loretta Moore

Griffey's - Wales or Ireland?

R. E. Griffey (Griff) (View posts)
Posted: 26 Jun 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Griffey
Have hit a deadend in finding where George Griffey came from. Said he came from Wales in 1795. Any suggestions?

Thnx

Griff

STuddard/STuddert

Posted: 4 Sep 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 5 Mar 2002 12:52AM GMT
Surnames: studdard, studdert
Do you know anything of a David Studdard, b. ABT 1750 in N.Ireland, Corin, Clare Co. married Mary Ensley in Guiford, NC. Any help would be greatly appreciated. We stop there.
Thank you.

Re: Griffey's - Wales or Ireland?

Posted: 20 Feb 2004 2:05PM GMT
Edited: 9 Jan 2006 4:18PM GMT
I have found a George Griffey in Bideford c 1850-1870.
I am also seraching George Griffey as I think that a distant relative that my father (descended from another Griffey) remembers in the 1950's was descended from George Griffey.
Having some difficulty though as I can't make the link that I need to between Bideford and London.

Re: Griffey's - Wales or Ireland?

Posted: 16 Oct 2012 7:56PM GMT
Certainly my mother's family are from Wales and have no Irish links. But in fact I don't know the links of the man my mother married and whose surname she kept.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic