Search for content in message boards

WARD

WARD

Gloria Rose (View posts)
Posted: 2 Oct 1998 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: WARD, BOWEN, ONEY, OSBORN
If anyone has information on any or all of the following I would appreciate it if you could contact me gloriag@iwaynet.net

Hezekiah "H.K." WARD b: 1803 md: Elizabeth "Betsy" BOWEN Nov 12 1822 s/o

Soloman WARD b: 1775 Virginia md: Susannah ONEY md: Washington Co., Va s/o

James Lemill WARD and Sarah "Sallie" Osborn

Hezekiah WARD & Elizabeth BOWEN

Gloria Rose (View posts)
Posted: 5 Oct 1998 12:00PM GMT
Yes, Hezekiah and Elizabeth had a son, Francis Marion WARD b: Jan 17 1844 Johnson Co d: Jul 6 1927 Greenup Co., Ky md: 1st Jane Rose Nov 13 1865 Johnson Co., Ky, Francis was a twin brother to George Washington WARD. Elizabeth Bowen is the d/o Adam Bowen and Rhoda Wooten.

Hope this helps.

Hezekiah and Ellizabeth Ward

barbara (View posts)
Posted: 5 Oct 1998 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: hezekiah ward, elizabeth bowen

I would like more information on Hezekiah Ward and Elizabeth Bowen Ward. I have some reason to believe that they might be some of my ancestors. Could you tell me did they have a son by the name of Francis Marion Ward.
He married Jane Rose from Virginia and is buried in the Poynter cemetery at Argillite Ky in Greenup County.
What information that I have on Hezekiah Ward was born
1803 in Virginia and married Elizabeth Jane Bowen Nov 13 1822 in Floyd county Ky Elizabeth was born in 1808 don't know the day. Hezekiah died in 1851 in Johnson County Ky and Elizabeth died in 1882 in Johnson county Ky,
So any information that you can give will be very much appreciated .
Thank you very much

Barbara

WARD

Chris Cheek Fry (View posts)
Posted: 13 Oct 1998 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: WARD
In the March 1998 issue of the Martin County Heritage there is a story of the James and Elizabeth WARD Family. The first part reads as follows:

James "Pioneer" Ward was a descendant of James Ward, born 1672 in County Donegal, Ulster, Ireland (Northern Ireland). He died in Augusta County, Virginia in 1760. Hugh Williamson, ancestor of Elizabeth, came to Virginia from Wales.
James "Pioneer" Ward, (born March 25, 1758, Fincastle Co., Virginia. Died July 15, 1848), married Oct. 9, 1810, Elizabeth Williamson, (born 1794 in Virginia, died after 1880), daughter of Mary E. Jackson and Alden Williamson, Sr. The couple settled on Rockcastle Creek (Saltwell), and raised a large family. James, the first settler of Martin County, lived to be 90 years old: Elizabeth probably died in her late eighties. In the 1870 census of Johnson County, she is listed as a widow age 82, and her occupation is "knotting." She lived with her daughter Alafair Ward Crum, also a widow, on Rockcastle Creek.
Children, Sarah, Alafair, Elizabeth "Betsy", James Ward Jr. b. 1817, Wells Ward Sr.
Margaret "Peggy", Solomon, Nathan, George Washington, Margarry or Morgania, and Emanuel Ward.
If any of this is familiar, I will fill in the rest of the birthdates and marriages for you.

WARD

Posted: 14 Oct 1998 12:00PM GMT
Here is the rest of the info you asked for:
Children:
1. Sarah Ward, (b. 1811), married 1832 to Freeman Copley (b. 1811, VA.
2. Alafair Ward (b. 1813), married 1834 to Ruben Crum (b. 1810 in Ky., died between 1850-60). Both buried at Crum Cemetery at Rockcastle.
3. Elizabeth "Betsy" Ward, (b. May 20, 1815,-d. after 1880), married June 1, 1834 to James Delong (b. March 20, 1814, Zanesville Ohio), son of Mary Barbara Auxier and George Delong, Jr. Probably buried in Delong Cemetery at Johns Creek.
4. James Ward Jr., (b. 1817) married January 8, 1840, to Cynthia Young, (b. 1820) daughter of Absolom Young. Buried at cemetery at Rockcastle Creek (possibly Saltwell Cemetery near Inez)
5. Wells Ward Sr., (1818-1890), married August 13, 1843, to Sarah (Senna or Cena) Preston, (1823-1903), daughter of Elizabeth Caines and Henry Preston, grandaughter of Fanny Arthur and Moses Preston of Lawrence Co. Buried at Saltwell Cemetery.
6. Margaret "Peggy" Ward, (b. 1821-d. after 1880 in West Va.), married John Conley, (b. 1814).
7. Solomon Ward, (b.March 31, 1823 -died between 1843-47), married April 3, 1843, to Lucretia Porter (b. 1828). No children. Solomon may be buried at Saltwell Cemetery. Lucretia married Alexander Cassady in 1847.
8. Nathan Ward, (1824-Aug. 12, 1864), married Aug. 10, 1848, to Arminta Preston (Dec. 1832-April 11, 1914), daughter of Elizabeth Caines and Henry Preston, and sister to Senna Preston Ward. Nathan died of typhoid fever as a Union soldier camped at Peach Orchard in Lawrence County. Arminta Ward's log house was site of Eden's (Inez) first court sessions.
9. George Washington Ward (b. April 1827) married 1850 to Nancy Clay (b. June 1832), daughter of Nancy and Peter Clay, who was a well-known educator.
10. Margarry or Morgania Ward (1831-1853), married July 6, 1846, to George W. Murray (b. 1821), son of Samuel Murry. She is believedd to have died in a house fire. In 1850 census of Johnson County, she had a ten month old son, Marion.
11. Emanuel Ward (1838-June 23, 1864), a Union soldier, died of wounds received at Kennesaw Mountain, Georgia; married to Matilda Mosley (b. 1838). They had two children: James Jefferson Ward, Susannah Mitilda Ward. Matilda later married Jesse Crum.

James and Elizabeth Williamson might have had three other children: Hiram, Angeline, and Sophia, records unknown.
Source: Ward Genealogy, by Billie Edyth Ward, Gateway Press, Baltimore, 1987, pp. 19-20.
Hope that this helps!!

Ward's

Posted: 16 Oct 1998 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Ward
To all who have e-mailed me about the WARD family here is the information that I can give you. I wrote the complete article almost verbatum from the Martin County Heritage March 1998 edition. There also was an article in there about Arminta Ward and the courthouse on her property including pictures. That periodical can be obtained by writing and joining the Martin County Historical and Genealogy Society P.O. Box 501 Inez, Ky 41224. Send your name address and phone number along with a $15.00 yearly subscription fee. The magazine is published quarterly and I don't think you will be disappointed.
Another excellent reference for the WARD seekers is the book EARLY FAMILIES OF EASTERN AND SOUTHEASTERN KENTUCKY by: Kozee. There are two chapters devoted to the WARD families. Here is an excerpt from the "Ward of Johnson County" chapter.
This branch of the family came to the valley soon after the first settlement on Sandy. James Ward was the poineer of the family. He settled on Rockhouse Creek, then Floyd, now Martin and Johnson Counties. The family is one of the most numerous in Eastern Kentucky. They have all along been noted for quiet dispositions and good citizenship. The poineers were noted hunters, having been trained in Indian Warfare. Among them have been preachers, professional men and public officials. In religion they are generally Baptists; in politics Democrats. Anotable characteristic was the naming of their children for their ancestors. Of "Jim" Wards there have been a large number and in order to distinguish them they were given nicknames. Hence, there were Big Foot, Nine Toes, White Head, Bit Nose, Jimper, Little Jim, Jim's Jim, etc.

Other authorities state that:

1. Lemill Ward was the ancestor of this branch of the Ward family who settled on Rockhouse Creek, present Martin County; that very little has been learned concerning him; that he is said to have m. Sallie Osborn.
Children:

2. James Ward

3. Shadrack Ward

4. Solomon Ward

5. William Ward

6. _____ Ward.
2. James Ward; lived on Rockhouse Cree, present Martin Co. It is not certainly known whom he married. However, one James Ward m. Lucinda Meek in Floyd County, April 13, 1820.

7. Nathan Ward.

8. Emmanuel Ward; had service in the Union Army in Civil War and was killed in action.

One Emmanuel Ward m. Matilda Moseley in Lawrence County, August 25, 1858.

9. Wells Ward

10. Washington Ward; migrated to New Mexico.

11. _____ Ward, a daughter; m. Freeman Copley.

12. Elizabeth Ward; m. James Delong in Lawrence County, June 1, 1834.

3. Shadrack Ward; m. Vina Hilton.

Children:

13, James A. Ward

14. John H. Ward.

15. Sally Ward; m. Isaac Meek in Floyd County, June 19, 1828.

16. Exer Ward; m. in Floyd County, July 30, 1837, Greenville Preston, son of James (Cobe) Preston and his wife Levina (Murray) Preston

17. Jesse Ward; m. Mary Wheeler in Floyd County, July 30, 1837.

18. Levina Ward

19. Julia Ward; m. Calvin Walter in Floyd County, May 13, 1830.

20. Jeff Ward.
4. Solomon Ward: m. _____.

Children:

21. James (Whitehead) Ward

23. Hezekiah Ward; m. Elizabeth Bowen in Floyd County, November 13, 1822.

23. Hiram Ward; m. Polly Johnson in Floyd County, December 3, 1830.

24. Shadrack Ward; m. Hettie Daniel

25. Sarah (Sally) Ward; m. Drewry Castle.

26. Solomon Ward, Jr.;m. Nancy Ann Kidd in Floyd County, June 22, 1828.

27. Nancy Ward; m. _______ Bowen
5. William Ward; m. in Floyd County, January 11, 1816, Elizabeth Meek, daughter of James Meek.

Children:

28. James Ward

29. William Ward

30. Solomon Ward

31. Jonathan Ward

32. Stephen Ward

33. Ali Ward; migrated to Ohio

34. Shadrack (Shade) Ward.

35. Andrew Jackson Ward

36. Susan (Suka) Ward; m. Jeff Price.

37. Malelia Ward; m. Ranson Lyons

38. John M. Ward.

39. Anglie Ward; m. Harman Harris
6.______ Ward, daughter, m. William Chapman, St.

Children:

40. _____ Chapman: m.____ Williamson. They had a son.

41. Rev. James Williamson.
And then the next generation continues on and on.

You can purchase this book. I got my copy thru special order at Barnes and Noble Bookstore. However, I did look at a copy of this book at my local library. Cost of book $45.00
It also contains a chapter entitled "THE WARDS OF LITTLE SANDY VALLEY, CARTER CO."
I hope that this helps.

WARD-PRESTON

Randal Bowling (View posts)
Posted: 16 Oct 1998 12:00PM GMT
Please, someone tell me how to contact the person or persons responsible for writting this book, I have question's about my ancestors, Henry Preston and Elizabeth Betsy Kanes having had the two daughters Sarah and Arminta. Also I believe that James Ward was married to Lucinda Meek born abt. 1803, this shows a child Sarah Ward b. 1811. Could someone please help me with this, I know that there was more that one James Ward, this writting shows he was married to Elizabeth Williamson. Does anyone know who this James Ward's parents were?

WARD

Randal Bowling (View posts)
Posted: 17 Oct 1998 12:00PM GMT
Chris, Thank you very much for the information, it is very helpful.

Randal Bowling
Ashland, KY

Ward

Linda Caudill Roistacher (View posts)
Posted: 25 Oct 1998 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Caudill, Ward, Pelphrey, Murphy
I am trying to trace my Ward line. The earliest info I have is on a Thomas Ward. He was born about 1800 (which about the same time period as Hezekiah). He married Elizabeth Saunders on Sept. 20, 1821 in Tazewell County, Virginia. Could he be related to Hezekiah? If you have any info on a link I would be very grateful to have it. I will share any info I have.
Posted: 11 May 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 30 Dec 2003 9:48PM GMT
Surnames: Ward
I too am hunting the same Thomas and Elizabeth (Sanders) Ward married in Tazewell county, VA on Sept. 20, 1821. One of their son's name was James (b. abt 1835 in Russell Co, VA). James married Mary Dunn (b. abt 1844).

It also appears that Thomas and Elizabeth Ward had a daughter named Mary (Ward) Lasley. Other children are Daniel, Lydia Margarett, and Martin.

It is possible that Thomas may have been named John Thomas and was born in Maryland. It is also possible that either Thomas or Elizabeth had Native American blood.

James and Mary (Dunn) Ward had a son named Daniel Ward (b. May 1863 in Russell Co, VA) who married Margaret Wampler (b August 1879 in Pike Co, KY).

Any information on these Wards would be greatly appreciated.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic