Search for content in message boards

Gravestone inscriptions of Fairfield VT cemeteries prior to 1851.

Gravestone inscriptions of Fairfield VT cemeteries prior to 1851.

Posted: 27 Oct 2002 5:27PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 16 Jul 2013 4:04AM GMT
I have a copy of Inscriptions from Fairfield VT Cemeteries pre 1851 as printed in “Some Early Records of Fairfield, VT” Gilbert Doane, pub Aug. 16, 1938 by the 150th Anniversary Committee. At that time many stones were partially buried or broken. Those stones are no longer there for us to see so this is a great source. I'll be happy to post the below listed names if any one is interested.

Abell, Adams, Andrus, Austin, Bailey, Barber, Hyde, Jewett, Kellogg, Kenney, Kingsbury, Kinney, Kirk, Kittell, Knapp, Lawton, Leach, Fleming, Foot, Foote, Foster, Garnsey, Geer, Gilbert, Gleason, Gould, Grant, Gregory, Hair, Hall, Hayes, Hendrick, Herrick, Hickok, Hill, Hills, Hoit, Hollister, Holmes, Hooper, Hotchkiss, Hoyt, Hubbell, Hull, Hurlbut, Huston, Hutchinson, Hyde, Kirk, Kittell, Knapp, Lawton, Leach, Little, Lobdell, McDonall, McKenna, McMahon, Marvin, Meacham, Miles, Miner, Mitchell
Morey, Morse, Nelson, Nevins, Newton, Northrop, O'Brine, O'Connell, Olmstead, Ovitt, Page, Palmer, Parker, Payne, Perley, Peter, Phelps, Potter, Prindle, Read, Reed, Rich, Risdon, Robie, Rooney, Rowley, Royce, Roys, Ryan, Safford, Saxby, Scott, Sherman, Sherwood, Skinner, Smith, Soule, Spalding, Spencer, Squires, Stearns, Stephens, Stone, Story, Sturdevant, Sturgess, Sturtevant, Taplin, Teague, Tifft, Todd, Tracy, Turner, Wheeler, Waite, Wakeman, Wanzer, Warren, Webster, Wells, Wheeler, Wilcox, Wilmarth, Whitney, Woodruff, Wooster, Wright

Re: Gravestone inscriptions of Fairfield VT cemeteries prior to 1851.

Posted: 27 Oct 2002 11:09PM GMT
Edited: 20 Mar 2005 12:42AM GMT
I'd be interested in JEWETT and HOLMES. Thank you.

Re: Jewett & Holmes inscriptions of Fairfield cemeteries prior to 1851.

Posted: 28 Oct 2002 12:32AM GMT
Edited: 16 Jul 2013 4:05AM GMT
If you know anything about these people please share!

Inscriptions from Fairfield VT Cemeteries pre 1851 as printed in “Some Early Records of Fairfield, VT” Gilbert Doane, pub Aug. 16, 1938 by the 150th Anniversary Committee

There are 12 cemeteries recorded including:
Eqypt Cemetery in E. Fairfield
North Fairfield Cemetery in Herrick is near the Union Church

pg 30
Abner E Holmes, s/o Stephen & Esther A., d 24 July 1846, a 3 yrs 4 ms 16 days [Egypt]

Esther Holmes, w/o Stephen, d 2 Apr 1844 a 37 yrs [Egypt]

pg 40
Harriet H. Jewett, consort of Jerad O., d/o Salmon & Nancy Hull, d. 31 Mar 1842 a 29 [No. Fairfield]

Re: Gravestone inscriptions of Fairfield VT cemeteries prior to 1851.

Christine (View posts)
Posted: 28 Oct 2002 1:35AM GMT
Could I please have info for MITCHELL?
Thanks a lot!!!
Christine
oldvter@yahoo.com

Re: MITCHELL Gravestone inscriptions prior to 1851.

Posted: 28 Oct 2002 1:41AM GMT
If you know anything more about these people, please share it here for other researchers.

Inscriptions from Fairfield VT Cemeteries pre 1851 as printed in “Some Early Records of Fairfield, VT” Gilbert Doane, pub Aug. 16, 1938 by the 150th Anniversary Committee

There are 12 cemeteries recorded. The Morey Cemetery was on Bryan Branon’s farm (in 1938). The Eqypt Cemetery is in E. Fairfield

pg 43
Elsa Mitchell, d/o Roswell & Mary, d 28 June 1838 a 4 yrs [Morey]

Hubbell Mitchell, d 8 Aug 1842, a 52 yrs [Morey]

John B.Mitchell , d 9 Sept 1842, a 82 yrs “A Revolutionary soldier” [Morey] – His wife Jemima, 1760-1862 on Rich monument @ Egypt Cem]

Re: MITCHELL Gravestone inscriptions prior to 1851.

Posted: 28 Oct 2002 10:56PM GMT
Just wanted to ask if the book lists all the names of the cemetaries in Fairfield? And does it give descriptions of where they are located?

As for the Mitchell's I would be interested in more info. I have found John benjamin Mitchell's(My 4th great grandfather) gravestone and jemima's. But for some reason Jemima was moved from Morey cemetary and buried in little Egypt. Does anyone know why or does the book say??
I was told to check Gilbert Harry Doane's books out. Guess I'm going to go to the library on my next day off.

Re: MITCHELL / RICH Gravestone inscriptions prior to 1851.

Posted: 29 Oct 2002 2:20AM GMT
Edited: 16 Jul 2013 4:06AM GMT
Yes the book s mentions 12 cemeteries as follows:
Barlow Cemetery – at the east end of St Patrick’s Cemetery
Barlow Cemetery in E. Fairfield is more often known as Leach Cemetery
Bradley Cemetery on the south road
Eqypt Cemetery in E. Fairfield
Munro Soule Cemetery, western Fairfield near Fairfax line
Kerley Cemetery on the Kerley farm (in 1938) near Sheldon line
Morey Cemetery on Bryan Branon’s farm (in 1938)
North Fairfield Cemetery in Herrick is near the Union Church
Pond Cemetery on the western side of the pond near Swanton
Pumpkin Village Cemetery
St Patrick’s Catholic Cemetery
St Rocks Cemetery (near Ward Paradee’s place in 1938)
The Village Cemetery behind the Trinity Church is known as the Episcopal Cemetery

Check the following link which may offer more explanation and perhaps more inscriptions
http://www.interment.net/us/vt/franklin.htm

I know that the Eygypt Cem. is on a road running north from Rte 36 in E. Fairfield Village near the Bakersfield line. Since I'm not from the area I don't know the name of the street.

Since John Mitchell died 20 years before Jemima she may have remarried to a Rich - or her maiden name may have been Rich - or her first husband may have been a Rich. I have no idea. If you figure out the tie between the 2 families you may find out why they moved her to the RIch family plot. She seems to be old enough to have been the mother of the Samuel mentioned below.

Jemima A. Rich, dau of S. & L., d. 12, Dec 1843, a 22yr 11 mos [Egypt]
Josephine Rich, d/o S. & L., d. 21, Jan 1842 a 1 yr [Egypt]
Joel Rich, s/o S. & L., d. 18, Jan 1842, a 5 yrs 3 mos. [Egypt]
Julia Ann Rich, d. of S & L d. 14, Jan 1842 a 3 yrs 6 mos [Egypt]
Lydia, wife of Samuel Rich, 1800-1856
Orissa Rich 1827-1908
Jemima Mitchell 1760-1862 [Morey – later removed to Eygpt]

Hope this helps

Posted: 30 Oct 2002 12:38AM GMT
Thanks so much for the help. The website you posted here actually helped me find 1 relative that I hadn't posted here. Thanks again.

Posted: 30 Oct 2002 9:49PM GMT
The Gilbert Doane book was recommended to me by a relative. But I am not sure where to find it. I was wondering if you could tell me where or how you obtained the book. I have searched everywhere online and haven't found a thing. Thanks.

Posted: 31 Oct 2002 12:40AM GMT
Edited: 22 Jun 2006 2:41AM GMT
I found it in the Orlando Public Library and made copies.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic