Search for content in message boards

Sally Moon Married Josephus Harrison 1808 Jackson Co. GA

Sally Moon Married Josephus Harrison 1808 Jackson Co. GA

Glenda Lohmann (View posts)
Posted: 31 Dec 2002 6:21PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Moon,Perry,Harrison,Chandler,Smith,Nolan,Hammond,Greeson,McDonald,Vaughn,Haynie,Colley,Guest
I'm trying to find information on Sally Moon who married Josephus Harrison on 19 Mar 1808 in Jackson Co. GA. Josephus Harrison was the son of Joseph Harrison and Rachel Perry. Both Joseph and Rachel died in 1831 in Jackson Co. I'm not sure why they both died in the same year. One of the children of Sally Moon and Josephus Harrison was my ggg.grandfather, Samuel Harrison, who was b. 8 Jan 1809 in GA and died 17 Dec 1886 in Walton Co. He is buried at Concord Methodist Church Cem. in Winder, Barrow Co. GA. He was married to Harriet M. Unknown. One of their children was Eliza Ann Harrison, my gg.grandmother, who married Bailey George Nolan Chandler Jr.
I don't have any information on Sally Moon and her family. I know that there were a lot of Moons in the Jackson Co. area and later in Barrow Co. I feel that she is related to at least some of them. I would appreciate help in finding out who her parents and family were.

Re: Sally Moon Married Josephus Harrison 1808 Jackson Co. GA

Posted: 10 Jan 2003 3:38AM GMT
Edited: 21 Jan 2003 4:55AM GMT
On the 1809 Tax Digest the only Moons were Bolar and Jesse (deceased and tax paid by his brother Bolar from the estate). I have not researched this line but found several references that say Sally was reported to be the daughter of Jesse and granddaughter of William.

Posted: 11 Jan 2003 5:48PM GMT
Edited: 17 Jul 2004 1:52PM GMT
Surnames: Moon,Harrison,Chandler,Smith,Noland,Greeson,Hammond,Haynie,McDonald,Colley,Vaughn,Camp, Guest
Thank you for your reply to my post, Paulette!
Does anyone know the date of birth of Sally Moon and her possible father, Jessie Moon? Sally and Josephus Harrison married in Jackson Co. on 19 Mar 1808. I would estimate her birth at ca.1788, but this is only a guess. I would like to know exactly when she was born, and where. What was the name of Jessie Moon's wife? Where did Bolar and Jessie Moon live prior to Jackson Co. GA?
Sally Moon and Josephus Harrison were the parents of Samuel Harrison, father of my gg.grandmother, Eliza Ann Harrison. I would appreicate all help in tracing her Moon roots.

Virginia Moore (View posts)
Posted: 8 Feb 2003 7:53PM GMT
my great grandfather, and great grandmother, were William Joshua Moon, born about 1867,and Georgia Bullock ,(she had a brother named Love Bullock) she was born about 1874 They were from Jackson County, Ga. and later lived in Winder ,Barrow County, Ga. Their children were Thomas Love Moon born Aug. 18,1895 in Hoschton, Ga.Death and burrial location Unknown- Missing person)He Married Gollie Marie Sikes born Sept 7,1897 in Jackson County, Ga.,died July 12,1993 in Fulton County, Ga.She was thedaughter ofHenry Oscar Sikes born Sept 8,1872 in Jackson County, Ga.Died Feb.29,1948 in fulton County, Ga.
Henry Lee Moon born July 15, about 1899 in Jackson County, Ga.married Birdie Lee Hinesley, daughter ofJohnT. Hinesley and Mary Isabelle Wright.
William T.Moon born about 1903
grace Moon married a Holland born about1906
Darline Moon (never married) born about 1906
Sam Moon born about 1912
We are probably related somehow.

virginia moore (View posts)
Posted: 8 Feb 2003 8:05PM GMT
Jesse Moon was born about 1778 in Albemarle County, Virginia. He died in 1808 in Jackson County, Ga.His children were Marth, Mary, And Susannah. She married William H. Moon in Elbert, County, Ga. The Son of Pleasant Moon and Sarah Bell Moon. Pleasant Moon was the Son of William and Sarah Richardson Moon. Pleasant Moon and Jesse Moon were Brothers. William H. Moon and wife Susannah were first Cousins.

Posted: 9 Feb 2003 4:38PM GMT
Surnames: Moon, Harrison,Perry,Ray,Chandler,Smith,Noland
I don't have any information yet on my Sally Moon who married Josephus Harrison, son of Joseph Harrison and Rachel Perry. I don't yet have names of her parents and family. I've posted some queries, but haven't gotten an answer as yet.
I did run across these MOON names while researching, though.........
Some of the MOON/MOONE Groom m. Bride - Georgia County - Date of Marriage list:

MOON, Augustus R. m. STAPLER, Dicey in Jackson Co. - 08 Dec 1835
MOON, Boler m. MEAD, Mary in Jackson Co. - 20 Nov 1834
MOON, Boler m. SMITH, Mary Ann in Jackson Co. - 26 Dec 1835
MOON, Seamon m. MAYNORD, Sarah in Jackson Co. - 04 Dep 1827
MOON, Thomas P. m. WORSHAM, Mary in Jackson Co. - 05 Jan 1832
MOON, George m. AWTRY, Drucilla in Jackson Co - 05 Aug MOON, Gibson m. CURRY, Eliza in Jackson Co - 19 Nov 1807

I don't know if any of these Jackson Co. MOON names relate to your Moon names, but you might check and see.

Since Oglethorpe Co. isn't far from Jackson, and many families had relatives that lived in both, here are some of the names from that county:

MOON, Joseph J. m. THOMAS, Polly in Oglethorpe Co. - 02 MOON, Joseph J. m. GREGORY, Elizabeth in Oglethorpe Co. - MOON, William m. DAY, Polly in Oglethorpe Co. - 23 Sep 1805
MOON, Thomas m. WILLINGHAM, Polly in Oglethorpe Co. - 18 Jan 1802
MOON, John m. THORNTON, Sally in Oglethorpe Co. - 01 Aug 1812
MOON, Isaac M. m. PAUL, Nancy P. in Oglethorpe Co. - 29 Sep 1850
MOON, Israel m. PHONSBY, Sally in Oglethorpe Co. - 26 Dec 1807
MOON, John m. FINDLEY, Nancy in Oglethorpe Co. - (no date) covers 1701-1898
MOON, John m. HANNAH, Sally in Oglethorpe Co. - 21 Sep 1809

In Walton Co.:
MOON, Elijah m. McCLAW, Elizabeth in Walton Co. - 12 Aug 1830
MOON, Elijah m. MYERS, Margene in Walton Co - 27 Feb 1861
MOON, George Washington m. LESTER, D. I. (Mrs.) in Walton Co. - 04 Feb 1866
MOON, Isaac m. BOWMAN, Nancy in Walton Co. - 02 Aug 1845
MOON, Jesse m. CALLAWAY, Margaret in Walton Co. - 28 Nov 1854

In Greene Co.:
MOON, Franklin H. m. CRAWFORD, Sarah in Greene Co. - 05 Jan 1869
MOON, George W. m. JOHNSON, Phoebe J. in Greene Co. - 25 Mar 1866
MOON, George W. Sr. m. WRIGHT, Electrian in Greene Co. - 20 Nov 1866
MOON, George Whitfield Jr. m. MERRITT, Loverett Noal in Greene Co. - 21 Dec 1902

In Elbert Co.:
MOON, Jesse m. PHELPS, Mary in Elbert Co. - 28 Oct 1832
MOON, Jesse m. WHITE, Martha in Elbert Co. - 07 Dec 1847
MOON, Joel m. HEWELL, Sarah Ann in Elbert Co. - 16 Dec 1847

If I run across your family names, I'll be sure to let you know!
Glenda

Posted: 9 Feb 2003 6:56PM GMT
Surnames: Moon,Harrison,Perry,Ray,Chandler,Smith,Noland
Virginia,
I posted a second reply with more information re. our Moons, but it came out as a new query, so please go to that message to read my reply with more detail on some Moons I've found.
Thanks,
Glenda

Posted: 10 Feb 2003 2:16AM GMT
Surnames: Moon, Bullock
Dear Glenda, Thanks for the Moon information. Im still trying to sort it all out. I dont know who the father of William Joshua was nor the Parents of Georgia Bullock. I know she had a brother named Love Bullock. I would appreciate any information you might run across. Virginia

Posted: 10 Feb 2003 3:12PM GMT
Surnames: Moon,Harrison,Perry,Ray,Chandler,Smith,Noland
Virginia,
I worked on the Moon line part of yesterday, and found some interesting information on the web. I suspect your William Joshua Moon descends from the same line as my Sally Moon. He is much younger than Sally. She was born ca. 1800, (I think this would be closer to ca.1780, since she married 19 Mar 1808 - a discrepancy needing more work to verify). She was the daughter of Jesse Moon and most likely Elizabeth Bell. She married in Jackson Co. GA Josephus Harrison, son of Joseph Harrison and Rachel Perry. If Sally was born ca. 1800, that would make her 8 yrs. old when she married! Don't think so!!!
The parents of Jesse Moon were William Moon (I've noticed the William name used often for children in this line, so your William Joshua is prob. named for one of the early (or later) and Sarah "Sally" Richardson. One of the sons of William Moon B: Abt 1748 in Albemarle Co. VA, was a William H. Moon, B: Abt. 1784 in prob. Elbert Co. GA. I don't have anything further on him, but you might want to check out VA and Elbert Co. for this time period.
William Moon's parents were prob. Jacob Moon B: 03 Aug 1717 in St. Peter's Parish, New Kent Co. VA and Mildred Cobb, B: Abt. 1717.
Jacob Moon was the son of Stephen Moon and Mary Simpson. Stephen was B: Abt 1681 in New Kent Co. VA. Mary was B: 1663. I've also seen Phyllis and Margaret named as wives of Stephen. Very confusing!
I will keep working on this and see what I can find.
Glenda

Posted: 11 Feb 2003 3:12AM GMT
Glenda,
Thank you so much for the information on Sally's line. I have a feeling that Jesse might be my Moon link too. William Joshua was 53 in the 1920 Census,so that would make his birth year about1867. I wish I had his parents or grandparents names. Im going to work with the names youv'e given me. I feel there is a link. I will let you know if I come up with something.
Virginia
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions