Search for content in message boards

Moore's of Ashville (1789), Rockingham County, North Carolina

Moore's of Ashville (1789), Rockingham County, North Carolina

Lisa (View posts)
Posted: 16 Aug 2006 9:36AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Moore, Walker
Trying to locate information on the parents of James Walker Moore b. 23 Jul 1789 in Ashville, Rockingham County, NC. His grandson said he was born there and that his family came from either PA or Maryland. He said they came with Daniel Boon's party landed there near the Yadkin River and he was related some how to Rev John Moore. The Rev John Moore that was involved in the Baptist movement with Rev Lemuel Burket and the Kehukee Assoc. I have been looking all over the internet and at my local gen library and was hopeing you could point me in the right direction.

I always felt he was related to the Walker family, maybe via his mother or something. I also feel he must be related closely to a John since he named his first son Dr John R Moore. As an adult he left and went to SC and married a welch woman, Nancy and had some kids, they moved to Walton/Gwinnett County, Georgia. It has been suggested they were related to a Thompson Moore of Virginia but nothing proved. I'm really at a loss and would appreciate any help.

I also wanted to know what you get for membership? Access to records, books, etc?

Thanks in advance for your help. I look forward to hearing back from you.

Re: Moore's of Ashville (1789), Rockingham County, North Carolina

Lucinda (View posts)
Posted: 16 Aug 2006 3:08PM GMT
I am confused by your query. There is no Ashville in Rockingham county. There is an Asheville NC in Buncombe county NC

DAniel's land is now in what is Davie county, his parents are buried at Mocksville NC

Lisa (View posts)
Posted: 17 Aug 2006 6:54AM GMT
Surnames: Moore, Walker
It was in a letter from James' grandson, Judson Moore. He said James Walker Moore was born 23 July 1789 in Asheville, Rockingham County, NC. He said what is now Rockingham County and refers to it as a new city. He wrote it in 1939 so things may have changed alot since then. I looked up Daniel Boon and read in two books he was in the area. He says it's a settlement on the Yadkin River. He said "most the family followed the vanishing indians to what is now Rockingham, NC about the Smokey Mountains, which is now a US National Park". He says that after the war baptists increased and the Kehukee Assoc was formed. 2 great preachers Rev Lemuel Burkit & Rev John Moore reformed most churches out. He goes on about the church business and then goes into James Walker Moore growing up and moving to SC and marrying a Welch woman form Wales. Everything else doesn't relate to NC after that. I'd love any help I can get. I'll try to look into the County you mentioned and see what it brings up. Again any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Lucinda (View posts)
Posted: 17 Aug 2006 12:33PM GMT
Lisa, there is a Rockingham NC which is located in Richmond County NC. Many people confuse the two, thinking Rockingham County is the Town of Rockingham.
Richmond county was formed in 1779 from Anson County and is much nearer the Yadkin Valley area where Boone land was located.

The town of Rockingam was formed in about 1779.
HOpe this helps
Lucinda

Lucinda (View posts)
Posted: 17 Aug 2006 12:41PM GMT
The Yadkin River flows into the Pee Dee River which forms the one of the boundaries for Richmond county where Rockingham (the town )is located. This fits better with what is in the letter.
Lucinda
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions