Search for content in message boards

Chaffins Family Research

Re: Chaffins Family Research

Madonna (View posts)
Posted: 12 Jun 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 2 Mar 2004 5:00PM GMT
Surnames: Chafin
My great-aunt Louise and Morris Chafin raised their family in Mingo Co., WV., before they moved to Defiance, Ohio. Where is Logan Co.,WV? Is it near Mingo Co? Madonna Lee

Edited: 2 Mar 2004 5:00PM GMT
Surnames: Riffe, Short, Chaffins
Saw your posting on the Boyd County site,however, think you might try Lawrence County, Kentucky. Used to be lots of Chaffins up there. My great grandmother, Elizabeth Short Riffe had someone, maybe a sister, who married into that family. I don't know any of the particulars. Also there were a of Chaffins, Chafin, in Logan County, West Virginia

Madonna (View posts)
Edited: 2 Mar 2004 5:01PM GMT
Surnames: Chafin, Prater, Gullett
My great-aunt Louise is married to Morris Chafin. I don't know where he is from, but my great-greatgrandparent's William and Louisa Prater Gullett were from Boyd Co., KY. Madonna

Chaffins Family Research

Edited: 2 Mar 2004 4:59PM GMT
Surnames: Chaffins
Searching for any Chaffins or form thereof in Boyd Co. These can be from any time frame. Thankful for any response
Tom Chaffins

Posted: 13 Jun 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 2 Mar 2004 5:02PM GMT
Surnames: CHAFFINS
I know that my grandmother was related to a Chaffins family in Boyd County, Ky. She was the niece of Alex (Jack) Chaffins. During the 1905 smallpox epidemic Alex owned the property on which the pest house was located. Once the disease had run it's course in the town and the pesthouse was no longer needed Alex had it fumigated and lived in it until his death (sounds like a gutsy guy to me). If I come across any more information from my grandmother's things I'll be sure to post it.

Madonna (View posts)
Edited: 2 Mar 2004 5:03PM GMT
Surnames: Sublett, Horton, Gullett
Marcia, would you by chance know anything about the Sublett family from Matewan, the Horton family who lived in Blackberry City, Mingo Co., WV. the Gullett family from Princess; Coalton; and Ashland, Boyd Co., Ky------My mother Virginia Lee Horton was born at Thacker Mines, Mingo Co., WV in 1922.

Madonna Lee

Edited: 2 Mar 2004 5:03PM GMT
I lived in Boyd Most of my life, however am familiar with adjoining areas. Mingo County and Logan County West Virginia adjoin.
Mingo County was cut out of Logan County, sometime in the 1800's. The County seat of Mingo is Williamson, and the county seat of Logan is Logan. These towns are about 50-75 miles south of Huntington, WV

Posted: 24 Jun 2001 7:54AM GMT
Edited: 2 Mar 2004 5:04PM GMT
Surnames: CHAFFIN/CHAFIN, BOOTHE
I have Nathan Chaffin(Chafin) b abt 1819 in Rush, Boyd County.Nathan married Zillah Gertrude Boothe 8 Jan 1843 in Lawrence County, Ohio. Looking for parents of Nathan Chaffin. If this fits please respond.

Posted: 22 Oct 2001 6:25PM GMT
Edited: 2 Mar 2004 5:06PM GMT
Logan Co. is next to Mingo Co. If you look at some info. from way back, then it may say Logan because they were not separate counties years ago.

Posted: 22 Oct 2001 8:34PM GMT
Edited: 2 Mar 2004 5:07PM GMT
Mingo Co., WV was formed 30 Jan. 1895 from Logan Co.

Logan Co., WV was formed 12 Jan 1824 from Kanawha & Cabell, WV Giles & Tazewell, VA.

Source: Page 445 of the 9th Edition of the Handy Book for Genealogists.

Richard

RLH:mtf:20011022
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions