Search for content in message boards

Looking for pictures of the following Union Kentucky Civil War soldiers

Looking for pictures of the following Union Kentucky Civil War soldiers

Posted: 4 May 2005 5:09PM GMT
Classification: Military
Edited: 29 Jan 2006 11:25PM GMT
Surnames: Bailey, Blankenship, Butler, Conover, Cundiff, Grider, Harden, Hurt, Kimbler, McElroy, Monroe, Phelps, Roy, Stapp, Sullivan, Williams, Wolford
I am looking for photos of the following Civil War soldiers. I would be interested in any photo of them, not just in uniform. All of these men were from the Adair/Russell Co. area.

Looking for pictures of the following Union soldiers from Adair & Russell County, Kentucky:

Blankenship, George S.
Private to 1st Sergeant
3rd KY Infantry Co. G

Butler, Joshua
Private to Sergeant-Major
13th KY Infantry Co. B

Butler, Nathan G.
1st Lieutenant Union
13th KY Infantry Co. B

Butler, William O.
4th Sergeant
13th KY Infantry Co. B

Hurt, Burrell F.
Private
6th KY Cavalry Co. F

Hurt, Felix Grundy
Corporal
13th KY Infantry Co. B

Hurt, Joel
Corporal
Independent Battery B, 1st KY Light Artillery

Kimbler, John Crockett
Private
3rd KY Infantry Co. G

Monroe, James Thompson
Private
6th KY Cavalry Co. I

Phelps, John Melville (aka Melville/Melvin)
Lieutenant
7th KY Infantry Co. C

Phelps, Samuel
Private
7th KY Infantry Co. K

Stapp, Jeremiah Pearson
Private
5th KY Cavalry Co. I

Stapp, John J.
Private
5th KY Cavalry Co. I

Williams, Thomas P.
Private
5th KY Cavalry Co. I

Wolford, William Cyrus
Corporal to Sergeant
13th KY Infantry Co. B

----------------------

I have copies of pictures of the following soldiers if anyone is interested. Most of these are my family, some were their friends, etc. All are in uniform unless otherwise noted:

Pleasant Sanders Monroe
13th KY Cavalry Co. L

Daniel Rice Monroe - pre-war but no uniform
3rd KY Infantry Co. A

William Henry Conover
13th KY Infantry Co. B

Hiram J. Conover
13th KY Infantry Co. B (transferred from Co. H)

Dominicus Conover
13th KY Infantry Co. B
(transferred to 6th KY Veteran Cavalry Co. I)

William Henry Conover w/ Silas M. Roy
both 13th KY Infantry Co. B
-taken post-war in uniforms

George Milton Wolford
Corporal
13th KY Cavalry Co. K

Francis Marion McElroy
Corporal
13th KY Cavalry Co. K

Archibald Grider Bailey
Private
13th KY Cavalry Co. K

John W. Sullivan - got from US Mil His Inst.
Private
13th KY Cavalry Co. L

George Albert Cundiff - got from USMHI
Private
13th KY Cavalry Co. L

Marmaduke "Duke" Grider - post-war w/ 2nd wife
13th KY Cavalry Co. L

John R. Williams
Wagoner
5th KY Cavalry Co. I

George Alfred Harden - post-war w/ wife
Corporal to Sergeant
13th KY Infantry Co. C

Frank Lane Wolford - pre-war, during war, & sketch from "Wild Riders"
Colonel
1st KY Cavalry

Francis Marion Wolford - sketch from "Wild Riders"
Captain
1st KY Cavalry Co. A

Re: Looking for pictures of the following Union Kentucky Civil War soldiers

Morris Shepherd (View posts)
Posted: 4 May 2005 8:25PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Shepherd, Harmon, Wolford, Brockman, Conover, White, Cravens, Bradshaw
Brett, I have pictures of George Milton Wolford, my greatgrandfather, and three of Frank Lane Wolford, my gguncle. I would like to share them with you and compare yours. Thanks, Morris p.s. I have a ggg uncle Diminicus Brockman who served, and died of an illness, when he was in the civil war--any connection??

Brett Conover (View posts)
Posted: 4 May 2005 10:09PM GMT
Surnames: Wolford
Two of mine of Frank came off the internet. One is his service photo that is also on the front cover of the "Wild Riders" book. The other is the sketch of him that is in the book. There is a sketch of his brother Francis in there too that I scanned. The other one I found was taken during the war. The one of George Milton is his service photo and I found that on the Adair Co. site. I will email you all these and you can let me know if you have any other ones that I don't. George's sister Sarah Ellen Wolford-Stapp was my gggg-grandmother.

Marilyn (View posts)
Posted: 5 May 2005 12:06PM GMT
Hi Brett and Mo:
How are you related to the following:

Phelps, John Melville (aka Melville/Melvin)
Lieutenant
7th KY Infantry Co. C

Phelps, Samuel
Private
7th KY Infantry Co. K

Stapp, Jeremiah Pearson
Private
5th KY Cavalry Co. I

Stapp, John J.
Private
5th KY Cavalry Co. I

My husband is a PHELPS from Russell Co., KY and his great great grandfather was William P. Phelps whose son John Luther was in the Civil War for the Union with Frank Wolford........William P. had a brother John M. Phelps but I have no record he was in the war.

The Stapps were also related through the Phelps as Celia Stapp, dau. of Col. John Stapp married Shadrach Phelps.

We will have to talk about Samuel Phelps. Is he from Russell or Pulaski Co.??
.....I'll send an email privately.

Also,

Stapp & Phelps

Brett Conover (View posts)
Posted: 5 May 2005 1:56PM GMT
Surnames: Stapp, Phelps
Marilyn, I am related to the Stapps in two different ways. Jeremiah P. and John J. were both sons of Joseph Stapp and Harriet Black. My direct relatives are William Stapp who married Sarah Ellen Wolford, and Mary Susan Stapp who married John R. Williams. So, Jeremiah Pearson, John J., William, and Mary Susan were all siblings. William was a grandfather of my gg-grandfather James Patterson Conover, and Mary Susan was a grandmother of my gg-grandmother May Williams-Conover. I have a picture of John R. Williams and Mary Susan Stapp, but I have never seen a photo of any of the other siblings. I believe that the Celia Stapp you mentioned would have been a 2nd-cousin of their father Joseph.

As for the Phelps... they actually all moved to Laurel County from Grayson County, VA. This Samuel and John Melville were brothers. John Melville evidently just went by Melville, but the first name John is on his grave. I have not been to either grave, but according to what I have found from others, both have their military regiments on their stones. Their parents were John H. Phelps and Alsey Love. My ancestor Nancy A. Phelps was John H.'s daughter by his first marriage, and she was a half-siblings of Melville and Samuel.

John H. moved his family from Grayson Co., VA to Laurel Co., KY about 1850 after all of his children were born. My ancestor Nancy A. Phelps remained in Virginia and married Fielden Carr, who was a Private in the 30th Batallion Virginia Sharpshooters, Co. D, CSA. All of the Carr brothers fought for the Confederacy in VA. My line on this branch didn't make it to Kentucky until Nancy Phelps' grandaughter (my 2nd great) Nancy Caroline Hall and her husband Richmond Bourne Reeves moved to Ozark in Adair County. I looked up your Phelps line and couldn't make any connection between it and mine, but I also don't have my line traced any farther back than to John H.'s father Samuel.

Re: Stapp & Phelps

Marilyn (View posts)
Posted: 5 May 2005 2:56PM GMT
Your right. I think one of the progentors of the Laurel Co. bunch was a Richard Phelps. We have worked for years and cannot seem to tie the most prolific groups of PHELPS migrants together. I have a small lineage somewhere of Richard Phelps at Lawson Bottom, KY that I've had for years and years. Is that the same group??? If not, I'm not thinking correctly. Over the years the John Phelps d: 1747 and Thomas d: 1751 have been put together as father & son and then brothers. NOT TRUE!! We have deeds etc., that indicate the two never even knew each other much less were related...........One day, I'll get back to the PHELPS family and see if we can tie the Laurel Co., KY/Grayson Co., VA group to ours.

Now, on the other hand my William P. Phelps son of Shadrach & Celia married 2nd a Sarah Jane Richards Wolford. Her husband was James R. Wolford who d: May 28, 1851. She married William P. Phelps sometime between April 1855 and October 1856...........His first wife died in April 1855 and their first child was born in October 1856. they didn't wait long in those days. He had an infant and several other young children to take care of.

Marilyn

Dominicus Brockman - first cousin of William Henry Conover

Posted: 6 May 2005 6:47AM GMT
Edited: 15 Dec 2011 1:29AM GMT
Surnames: Brockman, Conover
Morris, I had forgot you had asked me about Dominicus Brockman, but I looked him up. His mother was Hannah T. Conover who was a daughter of Dominicus Conover and Rachel Bryant-DeMoss-Conover. Dominicus' son Levi Conover was the father of my William Henry Conover, Hiram J. Conover, and Dominicus Conover. So your Dominicus Brockman would have been a first cousin of my ggg-grandfather and his siblings. I found Dominicus C. Brockman listed in the 12th KY Infantry Co. G, mustered in and out as a Corporal.

Posted: 3 Jun 2006 2:21AM GMT
Surnames: Grider
would love to have any picture of anyone from 5th Ky Calvery Co. I (eye)

Posted: 18 Nov 2007 2:07AM GMT
Surnames: Sullivan Mann Bernard McFall Jones
John Sullivan was my gguncle. His brothers fought for the confederacy...and one of them was killed (Ruben)near Atlanta and is buried in Marietta cemetery.
I remember my Dad telling me stories of how it was brother against brother literally.

Would love to have his picture. Could you email it to me or would you prefer to mail.

Posted: 20 May 2008 5:22PM GMT
MY G G GRandfather was Jeremiah Pearson Stapp.
I do not have any old photos of him, but I do have generations after him.
Did anyone send you a photo? Would love to share info.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic