Search for content in message boards

Muirkirk, Ayrshire

Muirkirk, Ayrshire

Posted: 13 Nov 1998 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 30 Jun 2001 5:37PM GMT
Surnames: Stevenson, Gorman, Armour, White, Linton, Comb
Not confirmed, but believed to be correct, my gg grandmother, Isabella Stevenson Gorman married John Armour in Glasgow in 1845. She was born in Muirkirk,Ayrshire to David Gorman and Isabel Stevenson circa 1821-24. On the 1871 census she has four daughters- Mary Gorman Armour(1855), Catherine White Armour(1857), Rachel Linton Comb Armour(1863) and possibly Janet(1849). She also has a one yr old grandson David Armour. Mary Gorman married James McIntosh in Glasgow in 1873. Looking for connections.

Isabella Stevenson Gorman

Christine Lloyd (View posts)
Posted: 14 Dec 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Stevenson
Possible connection with my Elisabeth Stevenson who married William Houston (Howston) on 27 February 1795 at Muirkirk, Ayr, Scotland. Her father's name was Joseph Stevenson. Her son Joseph Houston is my great great grandfather and came to Australia in 1853.

Re: Muirkirk, Ayrshire

Posted: 8 Feb 2004 2:42PM GMT
Surnames: Stevenson Armour Gorman
I have a connection to Isabella Stevenson Gorman who married John Armour, 1845. She died 29.4.1874 in Milton Glasgow. Her daughter Isabella Stevenson Armour married Gregor Robertson October 1874 in Blythswood Glasgow.

Isabella Armour is listed on her death certificate as being the child of David Gorman and Isabella Gorman, maiden surname Stevenson. I am not sure if they are your Muirkirk family or not as there is another David Gorman who married an Isabella Stevenson in 1811 in Tradeston, Gorbals. They had a child, Isabella Gorman, christened Sept 1821. Have you any thing definite to tie Isabella Armour to the Muirkirk couple???

Posted: 8 Feb 2004 3:51PM GMT
Edited: 19 Nov 2004 5:42AM GMT
Surnames: Gorman, Armour, Stevenson
We have the census records which gives Isabella's birthplace as Muirkirk. The names of the other family sure could confuse things but I am not the only one researching this family and I do believe that we are correct.

Posted: 9 Feb 2004 6:58PM GMT
Thanks for that info. You may have saved me going off on a wild goose chase to the Gorbals! Isabella S. Armour who married Gregor Robertson, listed her address as 53 Stirling St (29.10.1874) which ties her in with your relative, Mary.If you would like info about Isabella and Gregor's descendants, I can let you have it.

Posted: 2 Oct 2007 4:56PM GMT
Surnames: ISABELLA STEVENSON ARMOUR- DAVID GORMAN
I notice a message from PMR12 re the above matter.I am a descendant of Isabella Stevenson Armour. Her parents were John Armour and Isabella Armour nee Stevenson.I am trying to gather information about her grandparents David Gorman and Isabella Stevenson who were married in 1811 in Muirkirk. Would appreciate any information.

Many thanks

Posted: 27 Oct 2007 3:39PM GMT
Hello. I do not have a lot of information on the grandparents except that they were married in Muirkirk on 26.07.1811. David was a furnaceman at the Ironworks. Isabella come from Coltburn. I believe that their children were: William, Isabel, Mary, Robert, David. Sometime between 1820 and 1845 they seem to have settled in Glasgow.

John Miller Armour, Isabelle's father was the child of James Armour and Catherine White.

Is this any use? I would be very interested to know if you have a David Gorman listed in your findings who was a commersial traveller and lived in 28 Parsons St Glasgow in 1869.

Posted: 27 Oct 2007 4:41PM GMT
Hi, Thanks for the info. I was interested to hear that Isabella came from Coltburn - where is Coltburn? I also have been on the trail of David Gorman, Commercial Traveller of 28 Parson Street, but I have been unable to find any more info. on him. I know he and Isabella had a child named David before Isabella married Gregor Robertson. I wonder if he was a distant family member of Isabella's since her mother's maiden name was Gorman, also on the wedding certificate of Isabella and Gregor one of the witnesses was Catherine Gorman - what relation was she? Any idea?

Posted: 28 Oct 2007 5:46PM GMT
Hello

I think that Coltburn is near to Muirkirk.I too think that David Gorman, father of Isabella's son, David, was a distant family member but I have been unable to find him. I have been researching this line since my husband is a descendent of David Gorman Robertson.You may know this but on David Gorman Robertson's marriage certificate, 17th February 1899, to Jessie Maca McIntyre, David Gorman is listed as father, but is marked deceased.

I am not sure who Catherine Gorman is either.

John Miller Armour is interesting as he goes on to remarry after Isabella's death.

Posted: 28 Oct 2007 8:12PM GMT
HI, Thanks for your reply,

I'm also a descendent of David Gorman Robertson which is the reason I have been keen to find out about David Gorman.
I did notice that the marriage certificate stated that David Gorman was deceased, therefore he should have died between 1969 (David's birth) and 1899. I have checked the deaths notices in Scotland for this period but could'nt find anyone I thought would be him.
I hope to check a list of Commercial Travellers and see if his name is on it, but it could be an invented occupation. He is not listed as living at Parson Street on 1871 Census and is not in the Post Office Directories of 1868, 1869,1870 or 1871. He could have moved to England or abroad, or it could be a fabrication as it looks as if he did not want to be found.
I wonder if David Gorman Robertson's half brothers or sisters (Gregor and Isabella's children} knew about David's
father or were told any information about him? It has certainly been a bit of a mystery!!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions