Search for content in message boards

Martha M. Thurber (1842-1890) Steuben Co., NY

Martha M. Thurber (1842-1890) Steuben Co., NY

George Rogers (View posts)
Posted: 20 May 2002 10:52PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Thurber, Waite
Searching for information on Martha M. Thurber (1842-1890) who lived in Hornby, then Erwin, Steuben Co., NY. She married James M. Waite about 1864. Her mother was also named Martha M.

Re: Martha M. Thurber (1842-1890) Steuben Co., NY

Posted: 21 May 2002 12:12AM GMT
The 1850 census of Lindley, Steuben Co. NY p. 75 has Abner Thurber 68, wife Martha 55, Henry 12 and Martha 8. I believe this Martha Thurber b. ca. 1842 is the one who m. James Waite. Unfortunately, I have not been able to figure out who Abner's parents were. I have one source that gives Abner's spouse as Martha Heckart. She may have been Abner's 2nd wife. If you ever locate anything more on this Abner Thurber, please let me know. He may have died ca. 1865.

Joanne E. Martin (View posts)
Posted: 3 Jul 2002 3:33AM GMT
Dear George, I have, among my 2300 Thurber group sheets an Abner and (1) Ann Maria or Ann Moriah (?) Thurber (1786-1835) and (2) Martha (Heckart) Thurber, b. ca1795. Martha was living with her daughter Martha Waite 1880. The list of children I have for this family stretches out with births of eight children from 1807 to 1842. The dates seem a bit peculiar. In 1850 the family was in Lindley, Steuben Co., NY. I do not have parents for Abner. Please email me so we can talk further, if you would like. I would love to try and clear up the details on this family. Sincerely, Joanne E. Martin (Thurber Research Center) JoeJoanneMartin@aol.com

Diane (View posts)
Posted: 13 Jul 2002 11:33PM GMT
Surnames: Thurber
I have a Martha M. Thurber in my database born and died the same years. Married to James Waite. Her parents were Abner Thurber and Martha Mersereau. Martha was Abner's 2nd wife his first was Irene Spaulding.

Abner's Children:
Joseph Spaulding Thurber (1st wife)
Martha M. Thurber (from 2nd wife)

I have no other information.

Posted: 14 Jul 2002 1:39AM GMT
Surnames: Thurber
Diane, The Abner married to Martha and having daughter Martha is not the Abner who married Irene/Irena Spaulding.These were are two separate Abners - one from VT and one from NY.

Abner Thurber who m. Irene/Irena Spaulding was b. 25 Jan 1802 in Hartland VT and in 1850 is living in VT with wife and 2 children, Julia Ann Thurber and Henry Harrison Thurber. Their son, Joseph Spaulding Thurber b. 22 Feb 1832 in Burke VT is shown in the 1850 census still living in Burke VT.

The 1860 census of Cox Creek, Clayton Co. IA has Abner and Irene/Irena with same 2 children, but also with Henry's 1st wife, Mary Ellen Martin who he had married Jan of that year.

During the same time period, in Lindley, Steuben County NY is the Abner who had daughter Martha. This Abner Thurber appears there in both the 1850 and 1860 census with wife Martha and children Henry and Martha. This Abner was b. about 1782 in NY. His daughter Martha m. James M. Waite.

I can provide the census images if you'd like.

Florence

Diane (View posts)
Posted: 14 Jul 2002 7:06AM GMT
Thanks for the correction. I am always interested in any New York Thurbers

Posted: 11 Jul 2007 10:20PM GMT
I'm interested in the Thubers in N.Y.As well I'm trying to find out the passed in my Husbands family.He is a Briglin but,We have found out that his great-greatgrandfather was a Thurber and he was adoped by the Briglin's when he was 2 years old.He has a brother name John Owen Brigin.Thay say he was adoped by one of the Briglins,thay say he was a Thurber as well.I don't know if.Owen Briglin adoped him or his son Harrison Briglin adoped him.If you can help me in anyway or any info. about the family I will thank you so much.I need some kind of help the family comes from Steuben,N.Y.I have a picture of the family in 1920's.Thank You,Ruth.

Posted: 13 Jul 2007 5:49PM GMT
Surnames: Briglin, Thurber
You didn't give me much to work with but from your posts to other message boards I assume your husband is Dennis Briglin.

I found that he is the s/o George Harrison Briglin (12 Jun 1921 - Nov 1987) s/o Owen Briglin (18 Feb 1889 - Aug 1969) s/o Harrison Wesley Briglin (25 Apr 1858 - 17 Mar 1946) adopted s/o Robert Briglin (1813 - 29 Sep 1884). Harrison was listed as adopted son in the 1880 census.

What evidence do you have which leads you to believe he was a Thurber?

Posted: 13 Jul 2007 6:15PM GMT
I havebeen told and what I have look up that Harrison was a Thurbur.Before he was adoped is this ture?I also herd that there was two Harrison's.Was Dennis greatgreatgrand father a Thurber?How are you reallated in the family?We live in Mass.Can you help me Thank you Ruth.Hoe do you knoe the Briglins.I was told one of Dennis brother is a Thurber thats what he has told me his nane is John Owen Briglin

Posted: 13 Jul 2007 11:20PM GMT
I have provided some information on possible a Thurber Briglin connection in e-mails to the person requesting information. In the 1860 census of Prattsburg, Harrison (age 2)is in the Briglin family along with an older Harrison. Here is part of the information I provided to her:

1880 United States Federal Census
Name: Harrison W. Briglin
Home in 1880: Prattsburgh, Steuben, New York
Estimated birth year: abt 1858
Birthplace: New York
Relation to head-of-household: Adopted Son
Marital Status: Single
Race: White
Household Members: Name Age
Robert Briglin 67 Head of Household
Hannah Briglin 62 Wife of Robert
Harrison W. Briglin 22 Adopted son
Hattie Burgher 14 Help

In looking at the 1860 census, I found this family

1860 United States Federal Census
about Harrison Biglen
Name: Harrison Biglen
Age in 1860: 19
Birth Year: abt 1841
Home in 1860: Prattsburg, Steuben, New York
Post Office: Prattsburg
Value of real estate: View image
Robert Biglen 47
Hannah Biglen 42
Harrison Biglen 19
Estella Biglen 18
Hariett Biglen 22
Catherene M Biglen 16
Catherene Biglen 66
Harison F Biglen 2

In 1850, the family was in Prattsburg and on the page before them in the census was a Franklin Thurber age 20. He was a farm worker living with a family in Prattsburg.

Since Harriet is living with her parents in 1860, it is possible that she is the mother of Harrison (age 2) and that she never married his father (possibly the father was Franklin Thurber). This would account for Harrison having the Briglin name. It would also explain that he is named Harrison - the same name as Harriet's brother. As for the adoption, it is possible that Robert and Hannah adopted Harrison to give him 2 parents - or maybe they called him an adopted son to avoid shame of a daughter having a child while not married. I think the answer to this could lie in birth/baptism records from Prattsburg. Maybe even Harrison's marriage record would list his birth parents.

In 1870 Harrison Briglin (the name is listed on the census index that year as Brighin) age 12 is living with Robert 57, Hannah 51, and Katherine 26.

Additionally, there is a file on Rootsweb WorldConnect contributed by Shirley Singleton that has a Harrison Wesley Briglin as the son of Franklin Thurber and Harriet Malissa Briglin. It gives Harrison's birth as 25 APR 1858 in Atlanta, Steuben, NY. It has his wife as Elizabeth Libbie Drake b: 18 NOV 1858. There are no sources given for that information, so I don't know what Shirley is basing this on.

In 1900 Harrison Briglin is indexed as Harrison Briglia.

Name: Harrison W Briglia
Home in 1900: Prattsburgh, Steuben, New York
Estimated birth year: abt 1858
Relationship to head-of-house: Head
Spouse's name: Libbie
Harrison W Briglia 42
Libbie Briglia 41
Dora Briglia 17
Dennis R Briglia 15
Seward Briglia 14
Fay Briglia 12
Owen Briglia 11
Ona L Briglia 9
Evah Briglia 5
Lewellyn Briglia 3
Baby Briglia 6.12

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions