Search for content in message boards

Sp-Am War Cemetary Manila found

Sp-Am War Cemetary Manila found

R Mull (View posts)
Posted: 6 May 2004 2:35AM GMT
Classification: Query
I am a member of the Manila American Legion Post 94 that has been approached to help find out who owns a recently located unkept cemetery in Manila comprised of American Volunteers during the Spanish American War. It seems the Japanese destroyed all local records so we are trying to find out who is responsible for the upkeep as some of the graves have been uprooted by robbers in search of valuables.

We have tried the US Embassy in Manila but to no avail as those records may have been destroyed as well and no one if quite sure where to look for this information.

Any ideas on how to proceed would be appreciated along the name of any groups that may have any interest in sponsering
caretaking of this cemetery?

Best Regards/ Leg. Robert W Mull Jr

Re: Sp-Am War Cemetary Manila found

Elayne Dudley (View posts)
Posted: 24 May 2004 7:08PM GMT
Surnames: Spanish American War
Have you go out to the site
http://www.spanamwar.com/cemetery.htm

The Phillipines has a few men listed. There is a "Clicking Here" section that will allow you to send an email.

Good luck.

Posted: 30 May 2004 4:38PM GMT
There used to be a Dept of Graves Registration associated with possibly the War Dept. Don't know when that work started, or if it is still going under some other name. They could have the list you want. You might consider trying the Japanese government. Sometimes records looted in war time ended up in the home country. Can not remember where I saw it but there was a list of our men buried on foriegn ground cemeteries. Hope this sparks someone else's memory.

R Mull (View posts)
Posted: 31 May 2004 3:50AM GMT
Thanks for your assistance however this past weekend during meetings in Manila is was determined that property documents were most likely destroyed the the US Embassy, so unlikely with Japanese gov.

I also learned that there may be two Spanish American Volunteers plots and I am working with the AAP and the American Legion to try to get the Boy Scouts to collect a list the names on the headstones so we can try to "adopt" the property to prevent looters from destroying the graves which is going on at present and we are being prevented from stopping them due to some catch 22 on who owns the plots. (Looking for gold teeth in the skulls)

At present we are trespassing if we try to cut the grass and try to return some of the sites to honorable condition so deterioration continues.

If we are successful in the "adoption" procedure the Makati American Legion would approach your organization and ask if you may be able to provide some financial assistance or know of government organizations that may be able to assist in this matter to prevent future damage.

Best Regards/Bob Mull

A Robertson (View posts)
Posted: 1 Sep 2004 2:56AM GMT
Is this the same cemetary that is called
Manila American Cemetary
Ft. Bonifacio Phillipines?

My elderly aunt has just learned that her brother who served in WW2 is listed on a memorial there and would like to have a photo of the memorial and I am trying to find out how we can acquire such a photo for her.
Thank you

R Mull (View posts)
Posted: 1 Sep 2004 3:31AM GMT
The Manila American Cemetary and Memorial is part of the ABMC which is American Battle Memorial Cemetaries a federal funded program.
You can visit their website at www.abmc.gov.com for a listing of services provided.
To answer your question, The Sp-Am War Cemetary in Manila is not part of this cemetary along with another american cemetary at Clark Air Base so no funding and no help in trying to restore these graves to date despite contacting the ABMC. The land was donated by the Masons and I am trying to get American Legion Post in Makati to take this on as a project to clean it up. At present we have offers of assistance but the Philippine Government folks in Manila claim to be in charge of the land and want money to enter the site even to cut the grass at our cost. We are presently trying to bypass this foolishness and prevent the current vandelism and grave robbing looking for gold teeth etc.

A Robertson (View posts)
Posted: 1 Sep 2004 4:46AM GMT
Thank you for your prompt response. I am saddened to hear that we have men and women in a location that is being so disrespected. Your efforts from their families and loved ones I am sure is very much appreciated. I wish you well in the support you seek. You are an angel to the souls that rest in those sacred grounds. Bless you.

R Mull (View posts)
Posted: 1 Sep 2004 9:39AM GMT
Thanks for your kind words, we hope to sort this out soon as it is something that feel through the cracks after the Japanese occupation, as they destroyed all the land ownership files when finally getting kicked out of Manila. The American Legion (of which I am a member) with support from the American Chamber of Commerce and Embassy are working together to get this resolved.

If you have problems getting a photo let me know as I believe there is such a service available at the Cemetary and believe things work over there.

Best Regards/Leg Robert W Mull Jr

Posted: 13 Oct 2004 5:19AM GMT
Edited: 31 Aug 2005 5:30AM GMT
I am a Filipiniana history buff. Where is this SP-AM cemetery in the Philippines? I go home to the Phil every year and in my next visit, I would like to visit it, pay my respects and document the cemetery before further vandalism occur. I hope someone has done this.

Posted: 13 Oct 2004 6:05AM GMT
Classification: Cemetery
Edited: 31 Aug 2005 5:30AM GMT
I have a book "Harper's History of the War in the Philippines" pub 1898. There are pages listing the volunteers with ranks from San Francisco, Nebraska, Minnesota, Utah, North Dakota. I could not find those names listed in several postings . There are some names of those soldiers who died in the Philippines by disease or in action. Also some names of those missing in action.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic