Search for content in message boards

SHEARER Family of Shapinsay (late 1800s)

SHEARER Family of Shapinsay (late 1800s)

Margaret Woodford (View posts)
Posted: 14 Nov 2004 8:32PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 27 Dec 2004 7:52PM GMT
Surnames: Shearer, Drever
Looking for descendents of John Shearer, died 1889, Lingro,Shapinsay. Wife - Mary Drever, sons - John b.c.1872, Thomas b.c. 1874, William b.c. 1876, daughters, Margaret b.c.1881, Robina, b.c.1883, Rachel b.c.1885 appeared in 1891 Shapinsay census living at Newfield cottage, thereafter disappeared. Anyone know what happened to them.

Re: SHEARER Family of Shapinsay (late 1800s)

Posted: 19 Jun 2006 6:06PM GMT
Edited: 13 Oct 2006 5:00PM GMT
Surnames: Shearer
Hi; I have a very comprehensive family tree including this John & Mary that dates back to 1740 (have hit a block there at this point). Would be more than happy to share it with you if you haven't managed to get the info yet :)

To answer your question, however, John William Shearer (m. Mary Drever 1870) died in the Orkney famin (I think) & Mary moved down to Sunderland with her children to live with her brother - a yeast salesman I think. Their decendents still live there now (he was my grandfather's grandfather).

As I said, let me know if I can be of any more help. :)
Amie

Re: SHEARER or MERRIMAN Family of Shapinsay (early 1800s)

Posted: 14 Jan 2007 3:52AM GMT
Surnames: SHEARER MERRIMAN
I am looking for information on Peter Shearer b 1803? married to Jane Merriman (various spellings) on 18 Nov 1832 Shapinsay. Any details of children (my ancestor is David Hepburn Shearer b 8 Nov 1841 Shapinsay d 1886 Sydney Australia),date of death, parents/grandparents details, etc would be extremely helpful.

Posted: 20 Jan 2007 8:45AM GMT
Hi,
Peter Shearer was my 3x great grand-uncle and I have
a fairly comprehensive Shearer family tree. If you contact me direct(you will find my e-mail address if you click on my name under author). I will give you the information which you require, if you have not already received it from elsewhere.
Regards
Margaret Woodford

Posted: 22 Jun 2007 10:00AM GMT
Surnames: shearer
Hi,
David Hepburn Shearer was my gggrandfather. He was a mariner.He was also the master of a steamship called "Surprise".I have some information on his occupation and a great deal of info on the Shearer family..If you would like this info contact me at landjharrison@hotmail.com

Posted: 25 Apr 2010 1:36PM GMT
Surnames: DREVER, SHEARER, BEWS, LAUGHTON,
Hi Amie,

Thomas DREVER, the yeast salesman, is my great, great grandfather so i guess that makes us cousins ! :)

I have John SHEARER as born in 1844 and marrying Margaret DREVER who was born in 1849.

i have info back to Alexander DREVER who married Margaret BEWS, their children were born 1777 onwards, as well as Magnus DREVER and Christian LAUGHTON on the maternal side (where DREVER married DREVER)

hope to hear from you
Donna Roberts

Posted: 20 Apr 2011 5:18PM GMT
Surnames: SHEARER
Hi Donna,

sorry it's taken me a year to reply, I haven't been actively searching my tree for a couple of years due to studying at Uni, etc.

Anyway, Hi! Very excited to hear from you! I have no cousins so nice to know there's some somewhere - even if very distant!

I don't have my tree in front of me as I'm at Uni as I said & all my stuff is at home, but from what I can remember, I've got info back to Magnus SHEARER and Kathrine or Kathelen - sorry, my memory is failing me here - crica 1750. Would be interesting to compare, see if we have the same information; see if we can iron out any anomalies?

Hope to here from you,
Amie

Posted: 6 Jun 2011 4:19PM GMT
John Shearer's death certificate of 1889 states the cause of death as epilepsy, from which he had suffered for several years.There was no famine in Shapinsay at that time, although I'm sure times were hard, compared with today.

Posted: 18 Nov 2012 7:36AM GMT
Surnames: Shearer

I've just started using Ancestry.com today to trace the Shearer family !

David Hepburn Shearer is my 2nd great grandfather, and if anyone could help me out with some background/deeper information, I'd be really grateful.
I've traced back all the way to Magnus Shearer (b.1740) and I've sketched out the basic outline of the tree, but I'm looking to big deeper.
All I know so far about David is that at the age of 20 he jumped aboard the Brierley Hill at London and came to Australia, where he Married Margaret and had Peter, starting the Shearers in Australia.
I'm planning a trip to Scotland soon and I've decided to travel up to Orkney to see where the family came from.

Posted: 10 Jul 2014 5:50PM GMT
Surnames: Drever/Shearer
The person your forbear (Mary Drever his sister) moved to live with was my Gt. Grandfather Thomas Drever from Lingro Shapinsay. I have contact with the Shearer side. He was a Manager of a yeast and egg company called Mawson swan and carter and lived in Matamba Terrace.. He was also Alderman in Sunderland. I have a comprehensive collection of Drever family tree including the Shearer side.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions