Search for content in message boards

Question about Illinois Marriage Index 1763-1900

Question about Illinois Marriage Index 1763-1900

Cheryl (View posts)
Posted: 30 Dec 2001 8:17PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi, folks.

My ancestor, Sarah Ann Nelson, is listed on the on-line Illinois Statewide Marriage Index as being married in White County in 1844 to George W. Harmon. There is no license no. listed, just a volume number. Sarah was born about 1825 in Kentucky. What kind of marriage record would there have been in 1844? If I sent for a copy, would her parents' names be listed as well as her full birthdate?

Also, since the 1840 census didn't list children's names, how could I prove she was the daughter of William and Mary Nelson? According to another researcher, she died before 1864, but I don't know where. I think her husband died in 1850...if anyone can check the 1850 census to see if she was back living with her parents at that time, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks for your help,
Cheryl

Re: Question about Illinois Marriage Index 1763-1900

Posted: 31 Dec 2001 1:28AM GMT
Surnames: Nelson
Cheryl, I hope you saw the reply to your message that came through on the White County maillist, which shows the Harmon's and Nelson's living nearby in 1850, but in general you won't find parents names or bonds issued for marriages before 1880. If Sarah had been below 16 or 18 there would have been a gaurdian listed as granting permission for the marriage, but otherwise the marriage license will only list the name of the bride and groom and the minister or public official who witnessed the marriage.

Cheryl (View posts)
Posted: 31 Dec 2001 2:12AM GMT
Thank you for replying. I did see the message, and it is very helpful. It was nice of Jean to go through her records for me. Do you have any suggestions as to how I can connect Sarah Ann Nelson to her parents? Jean found a probate record dated 1888 for Sarah's mother, but I don't know if that will help. I really don't know what to do next!

Thanks,
Cheryl

Posted: 31 Dec 2001 2:57AM GMT
Cheryl, Since the Nelsons you mentioned apparently lived in the Grayville and Crossville area, I didn't know if they were part of the large Enfield/Springerton/Hamilton Co, but I looked in the Nelson,Rankin, Thomas and York family book that was published a few years ago and Sarah is mentioned, along with her parents and siblings and one child, Alfred Nelson, b. 1841. Many folks were involved in documenting this book, including Francis Gill, who lives in Utah and used to have a Gill Bell family website, and Terry Lagneau of Princeton, IN, who has been on the web. If you are really into documentation search out these folks for information, or if you just want more family info the historical society in Carmi can copy the Nelson section of this book. There are many descendents of these folks still living in the area.

Cheryl (View posts)
Posted: 31 Dec 2001 4:56AM GMT
Yes, I recently became aware of the book by Francis Gill. I did track him down, and he was kind enough to e-mail some information to me on my line of Nelsons but said the book was out of print and referred me to his website. I would love to see his book! I'd like to know his document sources and how he found all of Sarah Ann's family.

Do you know if the book is available through inter-library loan? If not, I will certainly contact the historical society...I don't suppose you have their number close at hand?

Thank you for all of your help. My Grandfather Nelson is still living in Wayne County - he is the grandson of Alfred Alexander, Sarah's son. Unfortunately, nobody has really dug into my family history, so I'm very thankful for folks like you who are willing to help me!

Have a Happy New Year!

Cheryl

Posted: 31 Dec 2001 5:53AM GMT
Cheryl, You can try the interlibrary loan system. Ask for either Nelson-Rankin-Thomas-York and Allied Families or the Ancestors and Descendents of Lafayette Bell, two books published by Francis Gill. The genealogy library phone # is 618-382-8425, but it is closed until the first of February. I am treasurer of the historical society, and I have my own photocopy of the book and would be willing to makes some copies for you if you can't get it otherwise. My interest in the book is that my Savage line married into Nelson, Thomas and York.

Cheryl (View posts)
Posted: 31 Dec 2001 4:07PM GMT
Thanks, Lucinda.

Yes, I am very, very interested in getting copies that pertain to the Nelsons. I didn't know Mr. Gill had 2 books: I was only aware of The Ancestors and Allied Families of Walter Lafayette Bell...by Irma Willette and Francis Gill, 1993.

I'm trying to document the birth, marriage, and death of Sarah Ann Nelson and her parents, William and Mary Elizabeth. William was the son of John Nelson Jr. from Virginia.

If your books have anything that can help me, I'd love to discuss how to get copies. Please e-mail me, labbane@att.net

Thanks for your help,
Cheryl
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions