Search for content in message boards

Thoendel/Thondel Family/Horni Mesto

Thoendel/Thondel Family/Horni Mesto

Laurel Kiburg (View posts)
Posted: 4 Dec 2006 4:56AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Thoendel/Thondel/Thandel
I am trying to find any information regarding the Thoendel family from Bergstadt /Horni Mesto. My great-grandfather, Herman Thoendel, emigrated in 1880. Two brothers, Julius and Richard, also emigrated. One brother, Rudolf, remained to apprentice with their father Eduard J. Thoendel who had a clock tower factory in Bergstadt and later in Maehrisch (Unicov). Any info about Bergstadt and this family would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Re: Thoendel/Thondel Family/Horni Mesto

Posted: 4 Jan 2007 1:33AM GMT
Bill Thoendel from Nebraska is researching this family. I suggest you contact him direct.

Larry Hakel

Posted: 25 Feb 2008 11:22PM GMT
Surnames: Thoendel, Nickmann, Sitka
I have been researching my family, Joseph and Marie (Sitka) Nickmann, also from Bergstadt. I have a postcard dated 1909 from the Thoendel family, with a note from my grandmother indicating that "Mrs. Thoendel came from Austria with my mother on the same ship." Subsequently, I have been researching the Thoendel family to try to find out when Mrs. Thoendel came to the US. Have not found that yet, but I have the census document from 1910 which Lists Herrman, his wife Marie, and children Hilbert, Selma, and Erwin (mistakenly identified as age 75, when it should have been age 15.) Also, Marie's mother, Therese Forhan lived with them. In 1910 they lived at 6040 S. Peoria in Chicago, Cook County, IL. Herrman is listed as an occulist and jewler. I also have postcards sent to my grandmother from Selma and Erwin.By the time Erwin was age 22, he registered to vote with the address of 6406 S. Halsted St. I also have a document from my grandmother which says that Mr. Thoendel was an occulist and a jeweler.
I have several postcards with pictures of Bergstadt, and have positively identified these with the current Horni Mesto in the Czech Republic. I have not yet been able to get any records from there. I am pretty new at this, and not speaking Czech, am not quite sure where to turn!

Posted: 26 Feb 2008 1:59AM GMT
Surnames: Thoendel, Zerhau, Sitka, Nickmann
Hi. Thanks for responding. I would love to see your postcards with the Thoendel greetings. I am interested in where your family was living and where these postcards were from.
I can tell you that Herman arrived in NYC on 10 Sept 1880 on the ship, "City of Brussels". His future wife, Maria Zerhau, came later, but I have not been able to locate her ship. She did arrive before June 06, 1881, as that is the date they married in Chicago. They had five children, Irma, Herbert, Edith, Selma, and Erwin. Maria's mother, Theresa Zerhau, arrived in NYC on 21 Dec 1881.
I am very interested in your Bergstadt photos as well.
Is Marie Sitka Nickmann the name of your grandma who arrived with Mrs. Thoendel on the same ship? Did she marry in this country?

Posted: 5 Mar 2008 1:19AM GMT
Hi! I will be happy to scan the postcards and send them to you. Since I am new at the message board scene, how do I send the scanned versions to you? Although my grandmother has always said that she was named for Irma Thoendel, I have never found any record of her, other than from you, and another person from whom I just received a family page. Yes, Marie (or Maria) Sitka is my great-grandmother. However, my only hunch that her last name was Sitka is that my Grandmother referred to (and I have a picture and stock records from) "Uncle Gustav Sitka." Since the paternal side of the family is Nickmann, I am assuming that Sitka was the maternal side. Marie and Joseph married in Chicago. Did Herman and Marie come in 1880 - 1881? It looked to me on the 1900 census that they had been in the US for 9 years, which would have had them arrive in 1891.

Posted: 5 Mar 2008 2:23AM GMT
Hello again!
I have been looking into the date discrepancy. Since my grandmother said that her mother traveled over with "Mrs. Thoendel" I am wondering if Marie Zerhau, once married in the US, then traveled back to (then)Austria, and returned on the same boat as my Great-Grandmother, Marie Sitka. There is no way that she came as early as 1881, as she would have only been 14 at the time. Also, a writing from my grandmother indicates that Joseph Nickmann left Bergstadt at age 15 (which would have been in 1882) to travel to Switzerland to learn the tailor trade.
My Grandmother lived at 3120 S. Halsted St. in Chicago, and that is where all of the postcards are written to. The 1910 Census lists the Thoendel family at 6040 S. Peoria.

Posted: 11 Mar 2008 2:35PM GMT
Surnames: Thoendel, Nickmann, Sitka
Hello!
I have been searching Stephen Morse's one-step sight passenger lists and have thought about multiple passages also, but since Marie Zerhau's mother arrived, I believe in Dec. 1881, and her father was dead, there would have been no solid reason for returning after 1881.
Have you seen alternate spellings for the Sitka name? I have found a "Marie Styce" b.1866, arriving 25 May 1881 (NYC), on the ship "Westphalia". This date is appx. one week before Marie and Herman Thoendel got married in Chicago. I am still searching for Marie Zerhau on that list.
I have also found "Marie Nickmann", b. 1866, arr. 29 Oct. 1891 (NYC), on the "Westernland". Do you have the Nickmann's wedding date in 1891?
Did you recieve the photos I sent you? You can reply to that e-mail or attach files at the bottom of the post page. Thanks.

Re: Sitka, Zerhau

Posted: 11 Mar 2008 8:18PM GMT
Hi

SITKA, S^ITKA and ZERHAU in CZ's phone book.
http://phone.quick.cz
OVA is a female ending.
You might look for a German spelling of SITKA.

www.kuijsten.de/navigator
www.genealogienetz.de/reg
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~elainetmaddox/index...
www.genea.cz
little tidbit: In 1990 census of names there were 4 ZERHANs and 14 ZERHAUs in Poland. www.herby.com.pl in Polish and only distribution.

Posted: 13 Mar 2008 1:44AM GMT
Hi! Thanks for your recent post! I agree that there would be no reason for Marie (Zerhau) Thoendel to return to Bergstadt. This is very hard to figure out. My grandmother's notes state that her mother, Marie (Sitka/Sicka) came to the US before Joseph Nickmann, and that they were married in Chicago. So, she would have traveled under the name Marie Sitka, or something similar. I also have seen the Westphalia ship listing for Marie Styce. I am curious about this. My grandmother said that her mother came on the same ship with "Mrs. Thoendel." So, I am not sure to whom that is referring. According to census records, both Joseph and Marie Nickmann came to the US around 1891. Joseph was born in March 1867, and traveled to Switzerland at age 15, which would have been 1882. So, it doesn't make sense that he came to the US at that time. This is very puzzling.
I have found many more postcards from the various Thoendel family members, especially Erwin, to my grandmother.
I did not receive your pictures, or maybe I did, and they ended up in our spam folder, and my husband deleted them! Please send again to jx4nick@cox.net. Thanks! We will keep up the search!

Posted: 27 Jan 2009 7:21PM GMT
Hi,
Did you ever get any pictures of Bergstadt??
Bill Thoendel
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions