Search for content in message boards

WESTMORELAND

WESTMORELAND

Edgar D. Byler, III (View posts)
Posted: 11 Apr 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: WESTMORELAND, TOWNSEL, HARKEY
Searching for descendants of Alberty Westmoreland, b. 1807/8 SC who was listed on Yell Co. AR 1860 Census. Children were Amanda E., b. 1834, TN, Levi L, b. 1836 TN, Lidda Margaret, b. 1838 TN, m. James TOWNSEL 6 Feb 1868 Yell Co. AR; Nancy J., b. 1840/1 TN; Lincy Catherine, b. 1842/3 AR (prob. Independence Co.); Moses B., b. 1845, AR, married 1 Nov 1866 Yell Co. AR to Julia C. HARKEY; Samuel D., b. 1847?; Ann, b. 1849; Matilda, b. 1849; William, b. 1854; Martha, b. 1857 and Angeline, b. Jan 1860.

Amanda E. may also have been known as Sarah and may have married Paul TUCKER.

Westmoreland, Tucker

Eric Williams (View posts)
Posted: 12 May 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Westmoreland, Tucker
In response to "Amanda E. may also have been known as Sarah and may have married Paul TUCKER". My gg grandfather was Paul Tucker and his wife was Sarah. They are buried in Harkey Valley Cemetery in Yell County. I have not been able to determine Sarah's maiden name. Some other family genealogists say it was Rogers. However my grandmother, who just recently passed away, says she thinks it was Westmoreland. My grandmother's father, Jacob Tucker, was Paul and Sarah's son. When Jacob died in 1942, his death certificate listed Sarah Westmoreland as his mother. The informant was his daughter (my grandmother). Furthermore, Jacob's wife, Nancy (my grandmother's mother) was still alive and of good mind at the time. (She lived until 1954.) Both Jacob and Nancy were living with my grandmother at the time of his death, so I tend to view the source as fairly reliable. I have obtained the death certificates of almost all of the Jacob's siblings, in the hopes of finding out Sarah's maiden name, but to know avail.
I AM VERY CURIOUS AS TO WHERE YOU OBTAINED THIS INFORMATION REGARDING SARAH AND PAUL TUCKER. I HAVE SEEN NO OTHER SOURCE THAT LISTS PAUL's WIFE AS BEING A WESTMORELAND.

Sarah Westmoreland Tucker

Eric Williams (View posts)
Posted: 13 May 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: TUCKER, WESTMORELAND
Ed, Sherry Mideros also has Paul's wife,Sarah, as being a WESTMORELAND. We both have this information from family tradition. Since my branch and Sherry's branch have not been in contact for a couple of generations, I feel pretty good about that claim. I do not think Paul was married twice, but who knows. The census records are consistant on Sarah, except I have not been able to find Paul and Sarah in 1860. Could be because of the War. I know Paul's first son, Clinton, was born circa 1856 so they would have already been married by then. The Sarah buried next to Paul Tucker has a birthdate of 25 Nov 1831.
I have received information from Faye (THESANDYS@email.msn.com) who thinks she has our Sarah Westmoreland living in 1850 in Jackson County, Ark, across the border from Independence Co. at the home of widow Minera (Steele) Tucker. Widow of Stitch Tucker. Faye
also says "Also, I found a marriage for Alberty Westmoreland in 1847 Independence Co. and in 1850 census report found her Matha Terrell Westmoreland living back at home with her parents and a six month old baby girl Elizabeth Westmoreland."

This is a lot to consider and I haven't been active in genealogy for the past few months so I'm going to have to get up to speed on this line again.

Westmoreland, Tucker

Edgar D. Byler, III (View posts)
Posted: 13 May 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: WESTMORELAND, TUCKER
Eric, I got the information about Paul Tucker's wife Sarah Westmoreland from Sherry Mideiros . She is a great-granddaughter of Caledonia F.Tucker, b. 1862, dau. of Paul and Sarah.

I've been curious about Sarah. If she were a Westmoreland, and your information from the death certificate indicates that she was, then WHO was her father?? She doesn't appear in the 1850 Independence Co., AR with the rest of Alberty Westmoreland's family. But then the 1850 isn't apparently complete because Alberty's wife and some of the children aren't listed either.

I have learned that Amanda Emaline Westmoreland, dau. of Alberty and Mary Wilson Westmoreland, married in Independence Co., AR 8 July 1852 to Isaac Robinson. Amanda died before October 1853 and there was no surviving child.

That Paul Tucker is in Yell Co., AR in the same general area as Alberty Westmoreland (Chickalah Twp) I would hazzard that Sarah Westmoreland Tucker was either his daughter or possibly his widow. However, I don't have the listing for Alberty in the 1870 Yell Co., AR census and I don't know when and where he died.

Do you know if Paul Tucker was married more than once? I ask because I can't fit Sarah into Alberty's family. She is probably a daughter, but the census records on this family are so messed up it is difficult to determine exactly how many children he did have.

Write me at edby3@netease.net and let's explore this some more. I'm very eager to determine if Sarah Westmorealnd Tucker was the daughter of Alberty and Mary Wilson Westmoreland.

Edgar
per page

Find a board about a specific topic