or

Capt. Richard Batts (same time frame)

thanks

Bill Batts

Re: Nathaniell Batts

alice forry (View posts)
Posted: 5 Jun 2002 1:51PM GMT
Classification: Query
I have traced my roots to Lewis Jasper Batts (1780-1853). There were several "Nathan Batts" among his descendants. There is (was?) a historical marker near Elizabeth City that read "The home of Nathaniel Batts, first permanent white settler in NorthCarolina, built as early as 1657." I have some history book pages that refer to this Nathaniel Batts; however, I have not been able to confirm the family lore that Lewis Jasper Batts was a descendant of this Nathaniel Batts. Let me know if you want the info that I have about Lewis Jasper Batts. Would appreciate any info you have about Nathaniel.

...alice forry (aliceforry@cox.net)

Posted: 13 Sep 2003 1:45PM GMT
Edited: 24 Mar 2005 2:15AM GMT
Surnames: HUNTER, HICKS, BATTS
I have just discovered my 2great grandmother's maiden name and now am beginning the search for yet another limb on the tree. Elda BATTS b. 27 March 1823 d. 27 March 1865. She married Wright Hunter. According to one source, her parents were Lewis Jasper Batts and Mahalie Zillerate Kirby. I am looking for any further information or confirmation on her and the family. Thank you.

Alice Forry (View posts)
Posted: 13 Sep 2003 10:28PM GMT
It looks like we are distant cousins. Lewis Jasper Batts (1782 - 1861) and Sarah M. Kirby (1780-1870) are my gggrandparents. Note that my initial posting had the wrong date for Lewis Jasper...sorry. I have very little information about their ancesters but have traced my roots thru their son Nathan Columbus (1821-1896). I have visited the cemetary where they are buried and have photos of their head stones. Will be happy to share.

Re: Nathan Batts (b. 1821) and father Lewis Jasper Batts

Posted: 12 Aug 2006 2:51AM GMT
Surnames: Batts
I am related to the same Nathan Batts (b. abt 1821) through his son Lewis Jasper Batts (b. 1853). From reading various posts, I see that Nathan Batts' father was a Lewis Jasper Batts (supposedly born abt 1782), but I do not have any documentation of this. The 1860 census shows a Lewis Batts (b. 1805) who lives with Mahala and Mary Kirby. This Lewis Batts (b. 1805) is listed one house before Nathan Batts (b. abt 1821) on the census, which leads me to believe they are related. Are the Lewis Batts' (b. 1782 and 1805) the same person?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Alice Forry (View posts)
Posted: 12 Aug 2006 5:08PM GMT
I think I can help a little but cannot give a definite answer. But my research shows lots of Nathan Batts in and around the Cape Fear region. While my earlier email stated 1782 as the birth year for Lewis Jasper Batts, my database shows 1792, which i believe is correct. Sorry for the confusion. Here's what I have as data; please let me know if you find any errors in this information.

Lewis Jasper Batts (1792) was the son of Nathaniel Batts (1770-1840) and Elizabeth Dixon, as reported to me by a cousin. I strongly suspect that this Nathaniel Batts is a direct descendant of the "infamous" Nathaniel Batts documented in NC history books at the first white landowner in NC; however, I have not been able to find any evidence of this relationship.

Lewis Jasper Batts (1792-3/27/1861) was married to Sarah Mahalie Kirby (1780-1870). Both are buried in the Bradshaw Batts Cemetary located behind the Bradshaw farm on Rt 41 outside of Wallace NC. Sarah's tombstone says "Sarah B"; a cousin provided me with her full name. I have visited this cemetary several times. However, I cannot say for certain that the tombstone inscription is the source for my "1792" date.

Sarah & Lewis had a son called Nathan (Nathaniel?) Columbus Batts(10/17/1821-5/3/1896)...my ggfather...who married Annie Eliza Scott (6/10/1827-8/10/99). Both are buried in the Bradshaw Batts cemetary. They had 9 children, including Nathan Columbus Batts (1860-1912) and John William Batts (1859-1928) (my gfather)...according to family records maintained by John's children.

I last visited Duplin about 10 years ago. At that time, as best as I can remember, the homes of John William Batts and of Nathan Columbus Batts (b. 1821) still stood. I believe that Nathan's home was next to the Bradshaw farm (and cemetary) and John's was down the road a piece.

Putting your info together with mine, it seems likely that "Mahala and Mary Kirby" were Lewis' in-laws; however, that doesn't solve the date problem. I'll let you know if I can find anything further.

Posted: 12 Aug 2006 7:30PM GMT
Yes, I believe this is the same Lewis Batts. If you'll notice, in the 1850 Census his birth year would've been 1800. By the 1860 Census, his birth year was 1805. There is a gravestone for Lewis in the family plot that gives dates of 1792- 3/27/1861. There is also a gravestone that says "Sarah Mahalie Kirby Batts, born1780, died 1870". I do not know who erected these gravestones, but I believe them to be more recent than the late 1800's.

Also look at the 1850 Duplin County census for the household of Elizabeth Batts. You'll find her with Anna Batts, Anna's children and the children's father (Amos Brown). Also listed with them is Nathan Batts. I believe this is Nathan Batts, later husband to Annie Eliza Scott. He was listed in the household of his grandmother and his aunt.

Also take a look at Deed Book 23, Page 119 of the Duplin County Registry. You'll find that Lewis conveys all of his interest in the estate of Elizabeth Batts to Ann J. Batts. I believe Ann(a) and Lewis Jasper to be the daughter of Elizabeth, but this deed never refers to them as such. There's obviously some close familial relationship though.

Hope this helps in some way.

Nicole
another descendant
per page

Find a board about a specific topic