Search for content in message boards

cashmans of middleton co cork ireland

cashmans of middleton co cork ireland

donna (View posts)
Posted: 8 Nov 2003 4:57PM GMT
Classification: Query
i am new to this and trying to help my mother trace her family tree and i was wondering if there is anyone out there that could help ?
my fathers name is frank william cashman and had a brother william and a sister gertrud. there fathers name was john cashman and his wife was mary (nee noyse) they orriginally came from the middlton area of co cork . some time in the 1870s plz can anyone help

Re: cashmans of middleton co cork ireland

Mary Jane Cashman (View posts)
Posted: 9 Nov 2003 7:04PM GMT
Surnames: Cashman, McCarty,
My father's name was Frank Vernon Cashman, his father was Robert, grandfather Thomas Cashman and great grandfather was John Cashman born 1803 in Cty Cork, married Mary McCarty in 1833. They came to the US or Canada in 1843 or so. From there moved to St. Louis, Mo, then in 1850 went to Hudson , Wis. I believe they went there because of other family, who had immigrated earlier. I have quite an extensive file. You could look on Cashman surname club. I do know that Thomas Cashman was susposed to have married a Jennie O'Brien and a first wife perhaps in Ireland.

The names that appear in the family are:
Frank
John
Thomas
Robert
Girls names:
Elizabeth
Mary
Margaret
Anne

I have looked at the oldest son, since I found that Irish usually named the first son, after the father.
In my line, there were two or three children named Frank , but had died at birth or of a young age. After three generations my father, Frank, lived.

I cannot find where my gr,gr,grandfather came from in Ireland. It was only county Cork. As you know the name Cashman was Kissane, in Cork at one time.

Would love to know what you find out.

donna (View posts)
Posted: 9 Nov 2003 7:15PM GMT
i am just starting out tracing the family tree . i do know my gg father came from middleton co cork . his name was john and was married to mary nee noyse . i will contact my mother to gain anymore info

Posted: 12 Nov 2003 6:01PM GMT
Surnames: CASHMAN
I have Cashman ancestors in Australia. You mention a Cashman surname club. What is it, and how do I get in contact.

Posted: 13 Nov 2003 1:39AM GMT
Hello
Yes there are quite afew Cashman families in Austraila,
If you type in convicts to Au, you will find a Mary Cashman sent there for stealing some bread. Her mother went with her.
As you know many Irish were sent there by the British.

Cashman surname, in your search engine, just type in Cashman Surname Club. That should take you to the site. If you will send me e-mails I will answer.

Mary

Posted: 1 Dec 2003 5:32PM GMT
Edited: 4 Feb 2004 8:54PM GMT
Surnames: McCarthy/McCarty, Cashman
FYI, don't know if there is any connection here but there are similarities in surnames, first names, and place of birth.

My paternal great grandfather was Thomas Nolan McCarthy (listed as McCarty in 1920 census, also how he pronounced his surname). He was born in Middleton Co. Cork Ireland 12/12/1861. He came to the US (Springfield, MA) in 1887.

His parents were Charles McCarthy and "Betsy" (Elizabeth) Cashman. Both born in Ireland although I don't have exact location or DOB's.

Thomas' daughter was Elizabeth M. (? Mary) McCarthy. Born in Palmer, MA.

During the early 1920's Thomas lived in Fostoria Ohio near his step-daughter and her family. His passport indicated that he returned to Ireland for a visit in the early 1920's as well.

If I establish a connection between my McCarthy and Cashman families and yours I will forward data.

Posted: 2 Dec 2003 5:28PM GMT
Margery,

The first child born to John Cashman and Mary McCarty Cashman was named, Elizabeth, born in Ireland 1838. I always give or take a few years for peoples birth years.
I did tell you that John and Mary went to Nova Soctia before going to MO, in 1850. They were in the 1850 census for MO.

There are other Cashmans that have the name Charles.
John born in 1805
Mary born in 1816.

Have you look in Ellis Island records for Thomas Nolan?

Did I tell you I have a picture of John and Mary?

Be happy to get any information.

Mary

Posted: 11 Jul 2011 2:14AM GMT
Surnames: Cashman
My mom Elizabeth Inger Oseland-Raether-Shain lived her entire life in MN and just pasted away last August. Her mom's maiden name was Mildred Cashman. She married Luther Oseland and had 7 children together before she passed away at a fairly young age. It was believed that Mildred came to the US via Canada via Ireland.
My 2 sis's and I are going to Ireland, for the first time, this November and I was hoping to try and find ancestry info. on mom's family.
Any thoughts out there would greatly help us!!!!
Cathy
per page

Find a board about a specific topic