Search for content in message boards

McAULIFFE

McAULIFFE

Posted: 19 Mar 2000 4:22PM GMT
Edited: 14 Feb 2002 2:55AM GMT
I am researching ancestors/descendants of Timothy McAULIFFE, born c. 1830, Cork, Ireland. Emigrated to the US in June, 1841. Eventually settled in Troy, NY, by 1850. Married there to Elizabeth CLAVEN in 1854. They had eight children:
Margaret, married W.J. Thornby
James, Married Marian Regan
Mary Frances, married James H. Ryan
Elizabeth, married James D. Fleming
Willard, married Josephine ?
John
Hubert
Edward, married Deborah Clifford

please contact me at marat609@aol.com

Mary McAuliffe Nigro

Re: McAULIFFE

Posted: 26 Feb 2011 1:17AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: McAuliffe, Thornby, Nigro
Mary,

I believe Margaret McAuliffe was married to James Hill Thornby, not William James Thornby. They were both brothers to my great, great grandfather George W. Thornby. They were all from the Troy, NY area so I think we are talking about the same people. Hope that helps.

What's funny is I actually have Nigro cousins that live in Rockland County in New York. Wonder if they are any relation to you?

Jim Thornby
jthornby@gmail.com
Posted: 26 Feb 2011 5:01AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi, Jim,
Thank you for your posting.Now I am confused! I got Margaret McA's married name from her footstone at St. Mary's Cemetery in Troy which reads"wife of W.J. Thornby". According to her death cert, that is also her husband's name, and she died in childbirth as did her newborn son, William J. Thornby. This death was in 1885, I believe. I have never found any record of their marriage. Margaret's brother, my Grandfather, who was a young child at the time of her death, told the story of Margaret marrying a friend of Buffalo Bill's, moving West, and dying of fright when she saw some Indians looking through her windows! I have not been able to document this story, and I did find an obituary which says she died at her Mother's home---127 Ferry St., Troy. However, I did find a Thornby family in Troy, living right near the McAs on Ferry St. at Third St., with a son, William, who was a stovemaker and was the same age as Margaret. He later appears in the Custer County, South Dakota, census as a stovemaker, shortly before the date of Margaret's death.
I haven't worked on the family history for a while so will have to double-check these facts, and I will get back to you on it.
Thanks!
mary
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions