Search for content in message boards

Moug

Posted: 25 Jan 2002 12:13AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 11 Jun 2002 12:42PM GMT
Surnames: Moug
I am the daughter of Robert Allen Moug, his father was Stuart Moug, I think that perhaps his father's name was Alex (not sure), I do know that Stuart had a brother, William Moug. Stuart also came from the Fargo area to Detroit (perhaps in the early 1920's. My father Robert was born April 14, 1926, (after Stuart was dead) my dad just died January 11, 2001 in Farmington Hills, Michigan (this was very sudden and is prompting my request for geneology). Robert Moug married my mother, Marion Pruitt, February 12, 1950 and had six children, Robert,Jr., Pamela, Glenn, Loretta, Patrick and Michael, we are all married - my parents have fourteen grandchildren and three great grandchildren. We are all living in southeast Michigan. I would like to receive information about the Moug's in North Dakota. Please respond - thank you., Loretta Moug Pietila

Re: Moug/Yeadon

Posted: 25 May 2003 3:05AM GMT
I have Moug family history. Alexander Moug, II was my Great Grandfather. In the early 1800's James Moug living in Scotland, married Ann Smart. They had one child, a son Alexander Moug born in 1835. James was a farmer and was eventually married a second time. Alexander emigrated to America, settling in the Dakota territories in 1882. Alexander Moug, married Catherine Christie July 8,1855 in Saint Cyrus, Kincardine, Scotland. He was born June 11, 1835, in Dundee and she in 1833. Some records show they both were born in 1834. The birth dates of 1835 and 1833, have been taken from the "Compendum of History and Biography of North Dakota", Published 1900, page 701. Much of the information comes from the same publication found in the Fargo Public Library. Alexander was reared and educated in Scotland. In the late 1800's, he and his wife, five sons and two daughters followed two other sons, Alex, Jr. and John (Jack) C. to America. John (Jack) and Alex had left Fettercarin, Scotland for America in 1880. Alexander, one of the well-to-do and enterprising farmers of Cass County, ND, resided in Rich Township. The 9 children were all born in Scotland: 1) James C. born in Dundee, May 31, 1854, died 1923. Married Betsy Gould, 1853-1922. 2) John (Jack) C. born February 28, 1857. Married in 1888 to Alice Wing. 3) David, born 1861. Married to Letty Meyers. 4) Alexander, II born April 21, 1862 Inverkeilor, Angus, Scotland, married Esther Smith in 1892. Esther was born in Eau Claire, WI in 1875, she was the daughter of Emma A. Noteware and Martin Lorenzo Smith, Esther died May 1937 in Ayr. ND and is buried in the Buffalo Cemetery, Buffalo, ND. Most of the Moug family is buried in the city of Buffalo or Page, ND cemeteries.
In 1882 Alex Moug II filed a homestead on Sec. 6, 3-1/2 miles NW of Ayr, ND. Cass County Archives, ND GenWeb-Cass County Bureau of Land Management (BLM) Records. Red River Valley Genealogy Society lists the Moug families as Pioneers/Early Settlers. Alex was a homesteader, farmer, ice-cream parlor, pool hall and bowling alley proprietor in Ayr, ND. Alexander Moug II and Esther (Smith) had 7 children: 1) Irene (Renie) Moug married to Fred Mitchell and had 5 children; Wayne, Francis, Beatrice, married R. Kemer, Lester and Merle. 2) (My Grandmother) Lucie Elza Moug, born in Ayr, ND 1898-1957 married Edward M. Yeadon, born in Woodman, WI 1893-1951, son of Cora Ella Mae Havens, 1871-1955 and Edward William Yeadon 1861-1935 born in Wauzeka, Craw, WI. Lucie and Edward moved to Detroit, MI in 1925 and had 4 children; Lorraine Esther Yeadon born in Ayr, ND September 1,1918 married Carl Emil Wallgren born in Spirit, WI 1908-1993 (and their 3 daughters are, Carleen Schneider, 1938, Janet Swanson, 1940, Nickoleen Short, 1947). Eva Marion, born 1924-1927. Edward Merton born 1926-1984, married Frances, divorced, no children. Keith Earl (Bob) born 1929 married Mary Lou. Lucie and Edward Yeadon's children all reside in Michigan. 3) Earl born 1903 married Florence Holmquist and had 2 children, Morris and LaVonne Moug Carlson, Earl died at a young age in a train accident. 4) Stanley (Bill) Moug, Fargo, ND, married Ann Siewert (deceased) married Stella Pokorney and had 3 children, Larry, Patricia, Jeff. 5) Hattie, married Kimble Stenson, no children. 6 and 7) Francis and Emma deceased in infancy. Alexander Moug II died in Detroit, MI at daughter Lucie's home and was buried in Buffalo, ND.
5) William born in Scotland. 6) Stewart (your ancestor). 7) George. 8) Mary Rutherford. 9) Margaret Farley.

These are interesting links to several family history records. I am compiling information to set up our family roots on Ancestry. com in the future.
Thanks,
Janet Swanson

Posted: 25 May 2003 3:05AM GMT
I have Moug family history. Alexander Moug, II was my Great Grandfather. In the early 1800's James Moug living in Scotland, married Ann Smart. They had one child, a son Alexander Moug born in 1835. James was a farmer and was eventually married a second time. Alexander emigrated to America, settling in the Dakota territories in 1882. Alexander Moug, married Catherine Christie July 8,1855 in Saint Cyrus, Kincardine, Scotland. He was born June 11, 1835, in Dundee and she in 1833. Some records show they both were born in 1834. The birth dates of 1835 and 1833, have been taken from the "Compendum of History and Biography of North Dakota", Published 1900, page 701. Much of the information comes from the same publication found in the Fargo Public Library. Alexander was reared and educated in Scotland. In the late 1800's, he and his wife, five sons and two daughters followed two other sons, Alex, Jr. and John (Jack) C. to America. John (Jack) and Alex had left Fettercarin, Scotland for America in 1880. Alexander, one of the well-to-do and enterprising farmers of Cass County, ND, resided in Rich Township. The 9 children were all born in Scotland: 1) James C. born in Dundee, May 31, 1854, died 1923. Married Betsy Gould, 1853-1922. 2) John (Jack) C. born February 28, 1857. Married in 1888 to Alice Wing. 3) David, born 1861. Married to Letty Meyers. 4) Alexander, II born April 21, 1862 Inverkeilor, Angus, Scotland, married Esther Smith in 1892. Esther was born in Eau Claire, WI in 1875, she was the daughter of Emma A. Noteware and Martin Lorenzo Smith, Esther died May 1937 in Ayr. ND and is buried in the Buffalo Cemetery, Buffalo, ND. Most of the Moug family is buried in the city of Buffalo or Page, ND cemeteries.
In 1882 Alex Moug II filed a homestead on Sec. 6, 3-1/2 miles NW of Ayr, ND. Cass County Archives, ND GenWeb-Cass County Bureau of Land Management (BLM) Records. Red River Valley Genealogy Society lists the Moug families as Pioneers/Early Settlers. Alex was a homesteader, farmer, ice-cream parlor, pool hall and bowling alley proprietor in Ayr, ND. Alexander Moug II and Esther (Smith) had 7 children: 1) Irene (Renie) Moug married to Fred Mitchell and had 5 children; Wayne, Francis, Beatrice, married R. Kemer, Lester and Merle. 2) (My Grandmother) Lucie Elza Moug, born in Ayr, ND 1898-1957 married Edward M. Yeadon, born in Woodman, WI 1893-1951, son of Cora Ella Mae Havens, 1871-1955 and Edward William Yeadon 1861-1935 born in Wauzeka, Craw, WI. Lucie and Edward moved to Detroit, MI in 1925 and had 4 children; Lorraine Esther Yeadon born in Ayr, ND September 1,1918 married Carl Emil Wallgren born in Spirit, WI 1908-1993 (and their 3 daughters are, Carleen Schneider, 1938, Janet Swanson, 1940, Nickoleen Short, 1947). Eva Marion, born 1924-1927. Edward Merton born 1926-1984, married Frances, divorced, no children. Keith Earl (Bob) born 1929 married Mary Lou. Lucie and Edward Yeadon's children all reside in Michigan. 3) Earl born 1903 married Florence Holmquist and had 2 children, Morris and LaVonne Moug Carlson, Earl died at a young age in a train accident. 4) Stanley (Bill) Moug, Fargo, ND, married Ann Siewert (deceased) married Stella Pokorney and had 3 children, Larry, Patricia, Jeff. 5) Hattie, married Kimble Stenson, no children. 6 and 7) Francis and Emma deceased in infancy. Alexander Moug II died in Detroit, MI at daughter Lucie's home and was buried in Buffalo, ND.
5) William born in Scotland. 6) Stewart (your ancestor). 7) George. 8) Mary Rutherford. 9) Margaret Farley.

These are interesting links to several family history records. I am compiling information to set up our family roots on Ancestry. com in the future.
Thanks,
Janet Swanson

Posted: 25 May 2003 3:42AM GMT
To clarify: Alexander, Moug II was born April 21, 1861 in Inverkeilor, Angus, Scotland and died at daughter Lucie Yeadon's home in Detroit, MI on September 7, 1940 and was buried in Cass County, Buffalo, ND. Esther (Smith) Moug, 1875-1937 died in Ayr, ND, buried in Buffalo, ND.

Keith Earl (Bob) Yeadon, born 1929 in Detroit, MI married, Mary Lou in 1957 and have 6 children; Suzanne, Joyce, Donna, Brian, Gerri Lou and Kelly -
Thanks

Posted: 26 May 2003 3:54AM GMT
Janet, thank you for the information. It is very interesting and much appreciated - I will certainly be sharing this with my siblings. Sincerely, Loretta Moug Pietila

Posted: 3 Aug 2007 7:47PM GMT
Surnames: Moug
I am interested in the James Moug and Betsy Gould family..........I have copies of their death certificates and her maiden name is listed at GOLD....regardless, I believe they had at least one daughter, Mary Jane Moug. Mary Jane was born in Scotland. In her obituary of 1968 there is mention of two sisters, Margaret and Helen and one brother, James. I think there may have been other siblings but not sure. Mary Jane Moug was my step grandmother, married my grandfather Jacob Andor in 1929. I have been trying to find records of her other two marriages....one to a George Gilmore when she was about 19 or 20 and another to a Alarik or Alarnik. Would you by chance have anymore information. I have never been able to find immigration records for any Mougs, have you? In the 1901 census I found it shows that Mary Jane was living with Alexander and listed as a niece. Thanks for any information you can share.

Re: Moug

Posted: 27 Nov 2007 4:21AM GMT
We have the same last name. familey was in ayre North Dakota. I've been to an old graveyard there with William R. Moug on many headstones. The name WILLIAM,John, and Rae. With middle names of Kensington, Russell, Ray, and Rae.I do not have alot of information but I will be happy to share any information i have. Also most of the Moug men are big guys, with fairley large noses. Just a little more info you may not of needed. Hope to hear from you soon. Bill Moug Las Vegas, Nevada
Posted: 6 Dec 2007 3:10AM GMT
Surnames: Draper, Elliott, Moug, Meyers, Smoot, Sprague
Hi Bill, my Mother's family is from North Dakota..My grandmother Lois Moug is buried in Page, North Dakota, I've been told there are alot of them buried there, they came over from Scotland, my Grandfather David Moug was raised by his Grandmother I think Nettie (Sprague) Moug was her name, no idea of her husbands name, she had a son Edward E. Meyers by a previous marriage, who was actually my grandfather's real father! If you know of any of these people please email me at chyanne2448@aol.com..thank you.

Sherry
Posted: 6 Dec 2007 3:21AM GMT
there are lots of us willing to help, but it would be more helpful if you can post some dates and/or places in Scotland. If you're not sure, you may have some ideas about when........off a death cert or the like..census etc. It helps us to help you.
Posted: 6 Dec 2007 3:39AM GMT
Sorry, as of right now I don't have any dates..I am in the process of getting a copy of the families coming over from Scotland, I believe that David Moug born 1861 who married a Letty or Nettie Meyers, was the adopted father of my Grandfather David Edward Moug b-1 Jun 1913 in Page,North Dakota, d-21 Jan 1980 in Corning, Ca. My Grandfather was actually born to Nettie Meyers son Edward Meyers, but my Grandfather didn't find out until he was an adult.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions