Search for content in message boards

GEDCOM to MS Access or Excel

GEDCOM to MS Access or Excel

Posted: 27 Mar 2008 10:44PM GMT
Classification: Query
This question has probably been asked a thousand times but does anyone know of any software that can convert a GedCom file into MS Access or Excel in its entirety? I have seen applications such as GEDxLate that translate most of the GedCom file but none seem to do all.

Also keen to know if there are any Visual Basic/MS Access applications out there that do a partial translation but the source code is available?

Any help would be appreciated.

Re: GEDCOM to MS Access or Excel

Posted: 29 Mar 2008 6:40PM GMT
Usually we get the opposite question; someone has started to do genealogy with Excel and realizes, 1, 3 or 5 months, years or days into the project, that a genealogy program would be a better tool, so they want to transform a spreadsheet into a GEDCOM.

If you have a genealogy program with good reporting features, like Roots Magic (FTM will do it too), you can create a custom report with all of the fields you are interested in, then run i ton selected people and "print" to a text file, which you can import into Excel.

For instance, "print" the name, birth date, birth place, marriage date, marriage place and spouse's name for everyone who has "Pennsylvania" in any fact place. I did that when I found a data base for Pennsylvania marriages. I deleted everyone whose marriage date & place I had, then looked for the rest on the data base.

Would that strategy work to solve your problem?

Posted: 29 Mar 2008 7:53PM GMT
Thank you for the reply.

Most of my genealogy information is stored here in Ancestry however I do have copies of FTM and GenBox which my data can be loaded into.

May be if I give you a little background to what I am trying to achieve then things might become a little clearer.

The reports produced by all of these applications are a little bland. What I am aiming to achieve is something along the lines of what is available within the ancestry website within the data entry section. Within the website, when viewing an indiviual as well as seeing the primary information (name, birth, marriage and death dates) you can see residence information etc. In addition to this you can display all alternate names, dates of birth, death etc and sources for each event. All of these items I would like appearing on the one page for that individual and provide a little more colour than the usual bland b+w one (e.g. colour scheme from within ancestry.

Do you know of any tools that may assist me in my quest or will I have to develop something myself from scratch.

Many Thanks

Hope I am making sense.

Posted: 29 Mar 2008 8:24PM GMT
You are making sense, but I don't know of any product that will give you what you want.

Roots Magic has several views. In the "Individual -> General" view it will show 9 facts for a given individual per screen. (Born, died, married, graduated, ordained, militart service, census, lived, . . .) If you have more facts, you have to scroll. It will show up to 6 - 7 sources before you have to scroll in he "Individual -> Sources" view.

That isn't exactly what you asked for. Sorry.

Posted: 29 Oct 2009 10:08PM GMT
The Master Genealogist will get pretty close to this.

Posted: 30 Oct 2009 12:48PM GMT
In addition to what Ted said about the viewing screens, RootsMagic has the Individual Summary report that shows all the information you have entered for the person in 3 sections:
Individual facts (such as birth, marriage, death, etc.)
Marriages/Children
Notes
(and sources if you choose that option).

Posted: 30 Oct 2009 6:21PM GMT
Thanks to all for your replies. I have now developed a MS Access database that reads in a Gedcom file and loads the data into relevant tables. I also have created a number of reports that also seem to do the trick. A lot of hard work but at least I get some useful reports that also look the part.

Posted: 6 Dec 2009 7:26PM GMT
Do you mind saying how you achieved that please? Is it terribly difficult. I realise it means some typing work.

Posted: 6 Dec 2009 8:24PM GMT
Actually wasn't that hard at all once I had got hold of a copy of the specification of the format of Gedcom files. Are you familiar with MS Access and comfortable with coding in MS Access? If so, I am more than happy to share what I have with you.

Posted: 2 Feb 2010 2:32PM GMT
Can you tell me how you imported it please?

I have access 2003 and have dabbled in DB work before. I can't seem to get Access to read a .ged file.

ANy help will be gratel,

Thanks in advance.

L.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions