Search for content in message boards

William and Martha Sidney of Syracuse from Canada 1860-1892

William and Martha Sidney of Syracuse from Canada 1860-1892

Posted: 17 Nov 2012 11:29PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Sidney St.Dennis Sildany
I am researching the father of Martha Sidney who was a veteran of the War of 1812 (Canadian) and I am trying to find more information about her and her family.

William and Martha Sidney moved from Ontario to Syracuse circa 1850. William and Martha and 5 children appear on the 1860 census of Syracuse. Martha appears on the 1870, 1880 and 1892 census of Syracuse.
Did William join the US army? When did he die? Where are William and Martha Sidney buried in Syracuse? Do they still have descendants.

On the 1900 census, George N. Sydney is listed as living in Syracuse with his cousins Charles And Marguerite Quinn. Marguerite is probably the cousin, since she is born in Canada. What is her maiden name?

William Sidney's sister Charlotte was married to Jacob Crown of Syracuse. THe name Sidney also appears as Sildany, St.Dennis, St Denney and many variations, but in Syracuse it seems to be simply Sidney.

Re: William and Martha Sidney of Syracuse from Canada 1860-1892

Posted: 18 Nov 2012 4:13AM GMT
The Syracuse Daily Journal, April 18, 1893
Mortuary Notes

Martha Sidney died yesterday at 814 East Water St., aged 77 years.

The Post Standard (Syracuse) January 29, 1919 page 13

George N. Sidney, 64, died yesterday at his home, No. ? East Washington Street. He leaves several nieces and nephews. The funeral will be held at 2:30 o'clock tomorrow afternooon at A.C. Shomacher's undertaking rooms, with burial in Woodlawn Cemetery.

You can search this site for free - it has many New York newspapers
http://www.fultonhistory.com/Fulton.html

Re: William and Martha Sidney of Syracuse from Canada 1860-1892

Posted: 18 Nov 2012 7:39AM GMT
Surnames: Sidney
Thank you very much. This is greatly useful, especially the mention of many nephews and nieces. I will see if I can find the death of William. I could not find them in Syracuse in 1865, but I am thinking that William might have joined the Army like his brother James who died at Hatteras.

George N. Sidney (1851-1919)

Posted: 19 Nov 2012 8:26PM GMT
George Sidney died in 1919, his brother William had died in 1872 and brother Charles only appeared on 1860 census. So if he has any nephews and nieces, they would be children of his sisters Ellen (Ella) or Sarah. I don't know the name of their spouses. Any idea, how to get a will in Onondaga county? Is there an index? Can I order it by phone? My hope is that the will of George Sidney might reveal the name of his nephews and nieces or at least enough of them to find out who his sisters married.

Suggestions?

Re: George N. Sidney (1851-1919)

Posted: 19 Nov 2012 9:30PM GMT
Edited: 19 Nov 2012 9:32PM GMT
Here is a hint to work on confirming. If you search the 1892 census for New York State at www.familysearch.org, you will notice Martha Sidney is listed twice, once with a birthdate of 1817, and once with 1818. If you look at the image for the 1818 one, you will find a Williams family listed above them. The father is Henry A. Williams, no Mother listed. However, there are children named George N. Williams, and another named Martha. Then if you search this same family in 1880, the Mother's name is Ella, age 28. The 1870 census shows Ella, age 18 with Martha Sidney. I will let you know what else I find.

Posted: 19 Nov 2012 11:27PM GMT
Surnames: Sidney Williams
Yes there she is, Mrs Henry A. Williams
Syracuse Daily Courier, January ? 1892, page ?
Obituary
To the Editor of the Courier
On Friday morning as the tolling bells welcomed the birth of the New Year, Ellen Louisa Williams, wife of Henry A. Williams, passed into the “beyond” joined the band of the silent majority, who, hovering above the nation keep vigil until the birth of the new morn. Born of poor but honest parents, her whole life was dedicated to the raising of the intellectual standard of “Home” Hers was a life to be admired and respected, leaving behind only the memory of an honest and kindly woman, who alone bowed to death. The last hours of her life were sweetest; the love for her husband, the kindly interest in the many she left behind – these were the tolling bells of the life “beyond” calling others to duty.
A loving and honest wife, a loving mother, a true neighbor and an open and candid friend has at last paid the debt all owe to nature, has at last proved by the monuments of love and kindness left behind that life is worth living for, and that birth is sacred. Her kind and attentive husband, her beloved offsrping, and her heart-broken mother and brother who survive her are deserving of the sympathy of all. C.A.B.
Syracuse January 2, 1892
http://fultonhistory.com/Fulton.html

Posted: 20 Nov 2012 12:28AM GMT
Oh good, you found it, I was unsuccesful in my hunt. I did find a link to search the Woodlawn cemetery, and there is an Ellen Williams buried there, along with Martha and George Sidney. Go to this page http://www.onlib.org/web/lh/index.htm
then click databases, then "one of a kind databases" and you will find the cemetery link

There was also an obit at the Fulton site for Milton Williams, son of Henry and Ellen Louise

Posted: 20 Nov 2012 12:34AM GMT
Yes I found her under Ellen Louisa in the cemetery. I suspected she died shortly before the census since the baby was so young. Poor baby died in July and was buried in same grave with her mother. Henry A. remarried pretty quick, but I am just filling in the blanks now. George and Burdetta were single on 1940 census, so I am trying to find out if there are any living descendants. So many kids. But there was no mention of her sister Sarah in the obit, so I think she might have predeceased them. The Woodlawn index is great and so is the newspaper index, but not everything is covered.

Thanks so much.

Henry A. Williams husband of Ella Sidney (1849-1905)

Posted: 20 Nov 2012 1:15AM GMT
Syracuse Daily Journal 29 April 1905, page 2, column 2
Obituary
Henry A. Williams
Henry A. Williams, one of the most prominent colored men of this city died at 7:25 a.m. on Saturday at his home 612 South Beech St.
He was a barber, and had a shop in the Sedgwick, Andrews & Kennedy building. He was born in August Georgia, and came to this city in 1871, and had always been a barber. He was 57 years old.
He was one of the best known colored Masons, having been instrumental in the institution of Onondaga lodge. He was an ardent worker for the lodge.
Surviving him are nine children, besides a wife. The children are Mrs Walter R. Baynard of Watervliet, the Misses Martha L., Jennie Ge, and Berdetta E. Williams of this city and George H., Charles A. Milton S., Thomas A and Frederick W. Williams also of this city
Burial in Woodlawn cemetery #44380
Section 38 lot 477

Milton Williams of Syracuse (1882-1944)

Posted: 20 Nov 2012 1:45AM GMT
Perry Herald (Perry NY) Wednesday March 1 1944 page 7 Column 2
Milton Williams Died in Batavia Hospital
Death of Milton Williams, 61, occurred at St Jerome’s Hospital, Batavia on Sunday morning Feb. 27 as a result of pneumonia. Mr Williams had been a Covington resident for about eight years and at present lived in what was formerly the Pearl Creek School that was remodeled several years ago. He was an employee of the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad for several years.
He was born at Syracuse in 1882, a son of the late Louise and Henry Williams. Surviving are his wife Mrs Margaret Colles Williams, one daughter Mrs Merle Lane of Cambridge, Mass; two brothers Albert and Fred Williams of Syracuse; and two sisters: Mrs Walert [Walter] Boston of Baltimore and Miss Burdette Williams of Syracuse. Funeral services were held from the Brooks Funeral Home at Pavilion at 2 o’clock Tuesday afternoon.Rev. Luther Bunting, pastor of the Pavilion Baptist Church, officiating. The remains were placed in a vault at the Pavilion Cemetery.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic