Search for content in message boards

Wheeler's Cove

Wheeler's Cove

Posted: 31 May 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 13 Jul 2001 12:39AM GMT
Surnames: Wheeler, Purvis
There is an area in Nelson county called Wheeler's Cove. My GGgrandfater was Joel Wheeler married Lucinda Purvis. Their daughter Mary Jane Wheeler had about 200 acres of land in the area. Looking for Joel Wheeler's parents ? I suspect they were from Albemarle County. Any info is appreciated also how the Nelson County area got it's name.

3 Joel Wheelers of Alb.

Posted: 1 Jun 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 18 Aug 2005 12:53PM GMT
Surnames: Wheeler
The Micajah Wheeler who died @ 1809 in Albemarle had a son Joel Wheeler and a son Benjamin Wheeler (among others). Benjamin Wheeler had two children-that I know of- Joel and Bennett. The second Joel died in Albemarle about 1883 having married Martha Hobday and having no children. He did have a foster son called James N. Bailey and he had a nephew Joel Jefferson Wheeler (son of Bennett) who was still living in the 1880s in Albemarle. I forget who this 3rd Joel Wheeler married but he also could? have had a son also called Joel. The Wilkins who lived near Martha Jefferson Hospital in Charlottesville up to the late 1960s were descendants of Joel Jefferson Wheeler. Earnest Bailey who lived at 222 Ct. Square in Charlottesville and died @ 1963 was a son of the James N. Bailey mentioned.

Wheeler

John S. Turner (View posts)
Posted: 3 Jun 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: wheeler, Garland
Don't know if this will help you or not, but there is a Joel Wheeler who married Mary F. Garland, 4/30/1863, in Albermarle. I don't have his parents' names; since I am not tracking Wheeler (am tracking Garland), I did not write them down. There are a number of Garland/Wheeler marriages in Albermarle.

John

Archelaus & Charles Wheeler

Posted: 7 Sep 2001 3:36PM GMT
Edited: 18 Nov 2005 3:32AM GMT
Do you know if your Wheelers are related to Archelaus Wheeler, or his son Charles. Charles had several children by two different wives. A child by his first wife was Edward M. Wheeler, born around 1797 in KY. His father was possibly born in VA. Thank you very much.

Re: Archelaus & Charles Wheeler

Posted: 11 Sep 2001 12:57PM GMT
Edited: 18 Aug 2005 12:53PM GMT
Archelaus Wheeler does not appear in Maupin's Index of Misc. Papers meaning he is not named in a will in albemarle county. I have not checked the deed index to see if he has any deeds in Albemarle. I will make a quick look at the deed index to see if he had any deeds in Alb. It looks doubtfull that he was from Albemarle.

Re: Archelaus & Charles Wheeler

Posted: 11 Sep 2001 9:57PM GMT
Edited: 18 Nov 2005 3:32AM GMT
Sam -
Thanks for your help.
Frances

Re: Wheeler

Posted: 15 Jan 2002 4:35AM GMT
Edited: 14 Mar 2002 4:49PM GMT
My gggrandparents, Robert and Elizabeth Woodson Wheeler had a daughter named Lucella and she was married to a Thomas N. Garland. Do you have someone by that name in your lineage?

John S. Turner (View posts)
Posted: 15 Jan 2002 1:00PM GMT
Thomas N. Garland married Lucella (I have her name as Lucille) 11/23/1874 in Albermarle Co. They are not in my lineage, but I do have info on them.

I did not know her mother's maiden name was Woodson.

For Lucilla/Lucille and Thomas, I have 4 children - Alonso A., b 8/31/1875; Bessie, b 1/16/1877; Annie M. b 5/20/1884; and Marion, b 6/12/1886. I do not have spouses for any of the children, nor death dates. I have Lucille dying about 1899, but no death date yet for Thomas.

I can take Thomas back a number of generations with some reasonable degree of certainty, but not Lucille.

Does this help any?

Posted: 15 Jan 2002 11:00PM GMT
Edited: 14 Mar 2002 4:49PM GMT
Thanks so much for the information. Lucella would have been my grandfather's aunt. My grandfather's name was John Woodson Wheeler and his father was Robert S., a brother to Lucella. The Woodsons and the Wheelers intermarried. My gggrandfather, Robert, married his first cousin, Elizabeth Woodson. I have my Wheeler lineage back to Benjamin Wheeler who came to Albemarle County, VA in the early 1700s with his brother, Micajah. I also have the Micajah lineage. I am now searching for the descendants of my grandfather's siblings. Hope to find a living relative. Thanks again.
Leanne

Maria Brown (View posts)
Posted: 30 Sep 2003 7:56AM GMT
I suspect a link between Micajah Wheeler and Peter Bennett of Bedford Co., VA.. Peter had a son named Micajah Wheeler Bennett. My ancestor, Micajah Bennett, probably was a nephew of Peter. My Micajah Bennett and his friend Reuben Rowland were listed as charter members of the first Baptist church in Albemarle County. It is now called Chestnut Grove Baptist at Earlysville.
Since I have never been able to trace Micajah's parentage or his whereabouts prior to 1773 in Albemarle Co., I wonder if you have any information that might connect Micajah Wheeler to Micajah Bennett.
Hopefully,
Maria
per page

Find a board about a specific topic