Search for content in message boards

Glovers in Scotland

Glovers in Scotland

Posted: 15 May 2006 9:48PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Glover & Park in Scotland
Am looking for any decendants of William Glover & Isobel Riddell b abt 1709 in Scotland they had children John - Isobel - WilliamJames - Margaret & Jean all born in the South Leith District of Midlothian Scotland - thanks - Nina

Re: Glovers in Scotland

Posted: 19 May 2006 3:06PM GMT
Edited: 19 Nov 2006 8:19PM GMT
Surnames: Glover
I'm doing a migration study of Glovers who went to the American Colonies, probably to Virginia and probably in the 18th century. They very likely originated in Scotland, according to DNA studies done so far, but maybe migrated to America via Northern Ireland.

Is there a chance that you could put me in contact with a Glover male in Scotland who might be interested in taking part in the www.familytreedna.com Glover DNA project? It's painless and bloodless!

I'm convinced this is the only way to prove for sure who and where the Glovers were.

Many thanks,
Denis jd-glover@comcast.net
I

Posted: 4 Jun 2006 10:00PM GMT
Hello Jay - sorry the only Glover in ouy family that I know about is Julian Glover - the actor - He is infact decended from the Family of Glovers directly back to William Glover b1709 and married to Isobel Riddell- although he may not know this - I am the daughter of his -I think second cousin - Jane (Park) Phillips who is the grandaughter of his Great Aunt Janet Cumming Glover. - Any help - I don't know - but good luck in your search - Nina

Posted: 5 Jun 2006 12:59AM GMT
Edited: 19 Nov 2006 8:19PM GMT

Glovers Leith Scotland to Canada

Posted: 27 Aug 2011 6:00PM GMT
Hi Nina,
My gg grandfather John Glover b.1827 was born in Leith, Midlothian, Scotland. He and his wife Elizabeth Jenkinson b.1825 came to Canada 1854. He had a sister and aunt Isobel and his father was James Glover. Names William, John, James & Isobel are prominent names used by the Glovers on my side. I don't have much earlier info though on the Glovers in Scotland. Bill

Posted: 7 Feb 2013 7:00AM GMT
I have some original documents dated 1781 mentioning Wm. Glover & Isobel Riddell. I obtained them because they have my Ancestor I am researching, David Ramsay, written in them.

Wayne Fulton
ati@onemain.com

Posted: 8 Feb 2013 9:33PM GMT
I have a probably-Scottish "William" in Northern Virginia in 1789. Possibly from southwestern Scotland.

I'm still convinced the familytreedna.com test is the only way to prove for sure who and where the Glovers were.

jd-glover@comcast.net

Posted: 7 Sep 2013 3:59AM GMT
I am descended from William and Isobel through their son James. William and Isobel are my 7x Great Grandparents. I have a lot of information about the decedents of James. Most of them ended up in New Jersey and Australia.

Posted: 8 Sep 2013 11:34AM GMT
I have been trying for some time to discover my Scottish roots and suspect my Glovers may have come from southwestern Scotland to what is now the US, possibly but not necessarily via Northern Ireland. The earliest concrete record I have for them is 1785 in Northern Virginia, possibly from Southern Maryland. I had some hint that they may have migrated down there from New Jersey, but have no proof of that. They may have been involved with leather working. Does any of that resonate with your findings? jd-glover@comcast.net

Posted: 8 Sep 2013 4:18PM GMT
Surnames: Glover, Houeson, Neil, Tod, Bibby, James, Wolley, Siepert, Martin
I just realized before I wrote New Jersey and Australia when I actually meant New Jersey and New Zealand. I dunno what I was doing when I wrote that but clearly I was not paying attention haha.

I'll give you a rundown of my decent and you can see if any of it adds up with your line. But I don't know if you descend from William and Isobel's son James like I do or one of the other children since I don't know much at all about the other kids except their names.

James Glover (1768-1845) married Anne Houeson (1768-1842) on 8/23/1793 in Edinburgh.
Mary Glover (5/3/1798-1833) born in Edinburgh. Married John Neil (4/30/1794-?) in 1824.
Mary and John had 2 children who lived past childhood. Anne Houeson Neil (8/31/1826-1901) born in Edinburgh. She married John Tod (1827-1885) and had 3 children, 2 boys and a girl. I boy I don't know where he ended up. One boy ended up in Massachusetts and the girl Mary Glover Todd went to New Zealand and married James Woodhouse Bibby. I know a lot about them if anyone is interested.
Mary and John's other child to live past childhood is who I descend from.
John H (probably Houeson) Neil (2/20/1828-c1875) born in Edinburgh. Married Celia Ann James (6/7/1832-4/24/1921) born in Devonport, England and died in Passaic, NJ. On 4/13/1854 in Clerkenwell, England.
John was a Tinsmith in England and Chicago. He also traveled around the US being a House/Sign Painter. John and Celia clearly lived a nomadic life as shown by their children’s wide ranging places of birth.
After John's death Celia and most of the children moved to Canada. Later Celia and son Thomas move to Kansas City, MO by son Richard but then Celia moved back to Canada by the other children. She continues to move back and forth between Canada and the US until she dies in NJ.
Thomas Glove Neil (1/23/1865-9/18/1929) Born in Chicago, IL and died in Paterson, NJ. Married Catherine Anna Wolley (7/30/1867-3/2/1940) Born in Kansas City, KS and died in Paterson, NJ. They were married 9/17/1890 in Kansas City, MO. They had 4 children, 3 boys and 1 girl.
Stuart Wolley Neil (6/29/1891-8/11/1934) born in Kansas City, MO and died in Paterson, NJ. Married Louise Siepert (5/26/1892-7/3/1964) born in Paterson, NJ and died in Clifton, NJ. Married on 12/27/1915 Paterson, NJ. They have 12 children.
Thomas Neil (6/29/1921-1971) born in Paterson, NJ. Married Norma Martin (Still living)
They had 3 children including my grandmother.

That's the short version. Their is still tons of details I know.. Occupations, residences, other children's marriages, births, deaths, children, etc
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions