Search for content in message boards

Useful Search data bases

Useful Search data bases

Posted: 9 Jul 2011 5:56PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 11 Jul 2011 3:36PM GMT
I am new to Ancestry.com and have decided to build my family tree and history. I am new and still learning the ropes and that is why I come to the great masses of this forum.

I am requesting links to free, accurate and reliable record search sites (if they exsist). Please let me know if they do not or of great indexes that you have found to be a great assistance to you and your family search.

Thank you in advance

Re: Useful Search dada bases

Posted: 10 Jul 2011 3:37AM GMT
Edited: 10 Jul 2011 3:38AM GMT
FamilySearch.org databases are free & are added to regularly.

I use www.deathindexes.com a lot to see what's online. The site tells what's available, whether it's free, or whether it requires a fee to use. On that site, at the bottom there is a link that says "genealogy resources." Click that to find links to online births and marriages.

RootsWeb sites do not charge; neither to GenWeb sites for whatever county or state you're researching. (Just type in "(name of state)" + "GenWeb".)

Don't overlook free databases available through your local library. Some libraries offer obit or newspaper indexes; Ancestry.com Library Edition; ProQuest or Heritage Quest.

Also, investigate genealogy societies. Some societies or genealogy libraries include the use of databases as a perk of membership, or they are available for a really low fee.

Re: Useful Search data bases

Posted: 26 Aug 2011 5:39PM GMT
familysearch.org is free.

Posted: 8 Oct 2011 2:53AM GMT
Cyndislist.com is the "grandmother" of all genealogy links.

Posted: 12 Oct 2011 4:12PM GMT
I sure disagree with that. Never yielded me one thing that I didn't already have.

Posted: 12 Oct 2011 6:44PM GMT
To each his own -- just because they're not new to you doesn't mean they won't be new to someone else. Everyone's research needs are different.

Plus, some folks like to have "one stop shopping." :)

Posted: 3 Jun 2012 10:42PM GMT
I use familysearch.org, rootweb.com, and findagrave.com. They are all free. There are also free state web sites. It depends on what state you are researching.

The rootsweb World Connect project was extremely helpful. Through others family trees I found family branches I did not know existed.

Findagrave does not have every grave listed, but has been extremely helpful in getting obituary info.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions