Search for content in message boards

Book on HALLOWELL/KENNEBEC with Family Names

Book on HALLOWELL/KENNEBEC with Family Names

Posted: 12 Oct 2002 4:35PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 28 Oct 2004 3:47AM GMT
Surnames: Ballard
I just wanted to let people know that I have a book called A Midwife's Tale - The Life of Martha Ballard, Based on Her Diary, 1785-1812. It is about her life in Hallowell and mentions a lot of families who lived there at the time. If you had/have families in that area, I recommend getting this. If you want to know if your family is mentioned, E-mail me. I have nothing to do with this book - I bought it because it sounded interesting and I have a Ballard in my family tree. I wish I had a book like this for my family's hometowns!

Re: Book on HALLOWELL/KENNEBEC with Family Names

Posted: 21 Mar 2003 5:24PM GMT
Edited: 28 Oct 2004 3:47AM GMT
Surnames: Kennedy,Burton
Looking for Robert Kennedy and son William. William married Mrs. Hannah Burton 28 feb 1785 in Hallowell. William is buried in Hallowell. I think Robert is also. Are these people in your book. I am also looking for Hannah maiden name.

Posted: 21 Mar 2003 6:17PM GMT
Edited: 28 Oct 2004 3:48AM GMT
Surnames: Kennedy
They don't mention the first name of the Burtons in this book, but they mention a child who was burned. This all is from Martha Ballard's diary of 1785-1812, so your Mrs. Burton wasn't a Burton yet. I don't know if this may be the parents of your William - could be. The Kennedys listed are Mary (Polly) Kennedy and Suky Kennedy. This book really just talks about when people were sick or giving birth - it doesn't have a lot of details as to birth and death statistics. I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help. Priscilla

Posted: 23 May 2003 9:48AM GMT
Edited: 28 Oct 2004 3:49AM GMT
Surnames: Wheelwright
Hello,
The book sounds very interesting, I also have Ballard's in my tree. I hope you can help I'm looking for Thomas Wheelwright's family he was born 12/9/1809 in Kennebec Co. are there any Wheelwright's in there at all? I have the largest database of them on the net@rootsweb. Thank you for being helpful.

Posted: 26 Nov 2003 5:05AM GMT
Edited: 30 Dec 2003 6:20PM GMT
Surnames: Grant, Norris, Norcross
I am looking for family names Grant, Norris and Norcross
If you have any info on these I would love to here from you
Bless you and Thanking you in advance

Posted: 26 Nov 2003 4:59PM GMT
Edited: 28 Oct 2004 3:50AM GMT
Surnames: Wheelock
Hi David. I am sorry but I don't see any Wheelrights in the book, only a Wheelock. I am also sorry I am replying late, but I just now received an E-mail saying I had a response! Also, at first I thought something was odd, because my brother-in-law and nephew are named David Greenberg! If there are any other names you want me to look for in the book, please let me know.

Posted: 26 Nov 2003 5:13PM GMT
Edited: 28 Oct 2004 3:49AM GMT
Surnames: Norcross,Parker,Hewins,Pollard
Hi Wendy. I guess yours was the post I got an E-mail about, and not David's. The following is in the book:

She had been called to see the wife of Peter Grant, but the family "had called Doctor Parker before I arrived and he seemed to chuse to perform the opperation which took place at 1 hour 11 am."

Also:

(April 25) Rainy. I came from Mr Hewins to Mr Pollards. My hors mired & I fell off in the mud but blessed be God I received no hurt. Mr Hewins attended me to Mrs Husseys. We arivd at 11 hour morning. Mrs Norcross was in Travill. Her women were immediately Calld & Shee was Safe Delivrd at 5 hour 30 minutes Evening of a fine son. Her Husband & Mrs delino & her Childn went on board bound for Nantucket Early this morn.
(Later in the book it states that Mrs. Norcross and Mrs. Delano were Mrs. Hussey's daughters.)

It mentions Nancy Norcross, Nathaniel Norcross, Philip Norcross, and Samuel Norcross. There are no Norris's in the book, at least in the index. Rather than type all of it out, if you E-mail me at Radpok@AOL.com with your snail mail, I can photocopy them and mail them, or you could buy the book (I think I got it through NEHGS). Feel free to ask anything specific!

Posted: 25 Aug 2005 12:59AM GMT
Surnames: Green, Peaslee
Hi,
I am so interested. I am looking for Green's and Peaslee's.
Thank You
Robin

Priscilla (View posts)
Posted: 25 Aug 2005 11:56AM GMT
I'm sorry, but I don't see any Greens or Peaslees in the index.

Posted: 25 Aug 2005 5:24PM GMT
Edited: 12 Sep 2005 3:17PM GMT
Thank you for looking.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions