Search for content in message boards

SMITH

SMITH

Dorothy J Smith (View posts)
Posted: 18 Mar 1998 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query

Lemuel Smith b March 13, 1768 Stoughton, Mass.Norfolk Co. m July 4, 1790 Martha (Patty)Withington Stoughton, Mass. Norfolk Co
Luther Smith b December 13, 1799 Stoughton, Mass., Norfolk Co.
m abt 1816 Sarah (Sally) White b abt 1800 7 children.
Have been trying to find out what White Sarah is and need info on Martha Withington.
Is Lemuel Smith son of Asahel of Stoughton? Norfolk Co.

Re: SMITH

Dorothy J Smith (View posts)
Posted: 30 Mar 1998 12:00PM GMT

Thank you Ruth, but this is the wrong Luther. I have copies from the Canton/Stoughton vitals and find to many Luther Smiths, but have traced from Herbert Smith son of Luther, son of Luther, son of Lemuel, son of asahel Smith and his wife Sarah (?). It seems that Luther and Sally Washburn Smith gave a same name to one of their daughter Alzady who m Nathaniel Lincoln. Phidella m Stephen Monk. My husbands says he thinks that the Monk is right but no Lincolns in his family. So somewhere along the line the Luther Smiths in Stoughton, Norfolk Co. have been mixed up with some of the children going to one or the other. As Luther Smith m Sarah (Sally) White not Washburn. I also have the 1790 and 1800 census index's and they confirm it. I am getting out my Canton/Stoughton, Norfolk Co. papers again and do a double check. Thank you again. My dates are;
Asahel b 1733 d Sept 18, 1779
Lemuel b March 13, 1768 Stoughton, Mass., Norfolk Co Census Index for Norfolk Co 1800 #1236 Vol 8 CD m Martha (Patty) Withington, July 4, 1790 Stoughton.
son Luther b Dec 13,1799 Stoughton d August 6, 1832 Stoughton. m Sarah (Sally)White we think she was from Sharon.
son Luther b January 15, 1829 Stoughton, d Easton, Mass. m Adaline F. Reed May 22, 1850
son Herbert b Dec 8 1866, Easton Furnace d July 13, 1939 Easton Furnace m 1. Catherine Coney in Easton Furnace. m 2 Josephine Ross Martin aft 1901 Easton Furnace. They lived on Bay Road. Herb and Josephine's son was Chester Warren Smith and he lived on Foundry St across from Josephine's brother A. Herb had two sons George H and Clyde L by Catherine. My husband is Edward F. Smith son of Chester and Margaret Reardon (Riordan) Smith and I am Dorothy (Moss) from Canton, now living in the sticks of NH.
It was good to hear from you. Dot

RUTH A. WARREN (View posts)
Posted: 30 Mar 1998 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 23 Jun 2001 3:50PM GMT

IN RESPONSE TO YOUR NORFOLK COUNTY SEARCH FOR LEMUEL SMITH, MARTHA WITHINGTON, SALLY WHITE, AND LUTHER SMITH. I, TOO, AM RESEARING THIS FAMILY. MY DESCENDENTS WENT TO MAINE. I HAVE RECORD FROM STOUGHTON HISTORICAL SOCIETY THAT MENTIONS LUTHER SMITH BEING SON OF JOSEPH SMITH AND SARAH GAY, DAU. OF TIMOTHY AND AMITY GAY. LUTHER MARRIED SALLY WASHBURN. UPON LUTHER'S DEATH, SALLY MARRIED LUTHER'S BROTHER TIMOTHY G. SMITH. SALLY, WIFE OF LUTHER DIED 12-14,1803 AT AGE 46. BURIED IN DRY POND CEMETERY, BAY ROAD, STOUGHTON, MASS. HAVE YOU RESEARCHED THE HISTORY OF CANTON, MASS? GOOD REFERENCE BOOK ON STOUGHTON FAMILIES.

Ruth A. Warren (View posts)
Posted: 18 Apr 1998 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 23 Jun 2001 3:50PM GMT

Dot, My SMITH line is also from the Bay Road/Dry Pond area of Stoughton. I have concentrated mainly on my direct line being Jesse SMITH,(1) son of ? (Wm. SMITH and Katherine WIRTHINGTON ?) or son of(Joseph SMITH and Experience TALBOT)
Jesse moved to Maine and lived in the East Livermore/Jay/Fayette area. Had son, Mace (2); Lemuel (3); George A.(4); Thurlow W. (5); Grace E. (6); Ruth A. (7)Since this family has so many duplicate names, I am having trouble with pinning down THE JESSE SMITH that went to Maine! Howard Hansen of the Stoughton Historical Society sent me info from their files; however, there are 2 Jesses listed as being born in 1750. According to the gravestone in Maine, my Jesse was born in 1763-4. No record found so far...also why did he have a SAR/DAR marker on grave...was he in the Revolutionary war at age 10???? Can you shed any light?

per page

Find a board about a specific topic