Search for content in message boards

Kensington Plantation

Kensington Plantation

Eric Sipes (View posts)
Posted: 6 May 2003 7:08PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am searching for information regarding the former Kensington Rice Plantation located north of Georgetown, SC. In particular, I am interested in any photographs, drawings, descriptions, or plans of the former plantation house and slave settlement (I already have plats of the plantation). Former owners of the plantation include (in order): John Cleland, Francis Kinloch (Sr. and Jr.), Henry A. Middleton, Benjamin Allston, John F. Pyatt, Robert E. Fraser, B.W. Cannon, Walter Doar, and Robert Mitchell, Jr.

Re: Kensington Plantation

Posted: 12 Aug 2003 3:41AM GMT
Edited: 1 May 2004 7:47PM GMT
Eric...just wondering if you found out any info on the Kensington Plantation. If you have any info to share about the place or pictures...I would be interested. I am related to the Kinloch...I believe and have been trying to find out who they were and anything I could about the place...which if I am correct is now called Kinloch Plantation and owned by Ted Turner. Look forward to a response.
Sheila

Eric Sipes (View posts)
Posted: 12 Aug 2003 2:22PM GMT
Surnames: Kinloch, Middleton
Shelia,
Kensington Plantation is located near the confluence of the Black and Pee Dee Rivers on the north side of Georgetown, SC. I am not sure where the Kinloch Plantation you refer to is located, but Kensington is still referred to by its original name. It is currently being developed as a residential community.

Francis Kinloch (Sr.) founded Kensington in 1751, and it was willed to his son, Francis Kinloch (Jr.) upon his death. In the early 1800s, it was sold to Arthur Middleton (Kinloch's son-in-law). If you are interested in the history of the plantation (and of the Kinlochs), look at the "Historical Atlas of the Rice Plantations of Georgetown County and the Santee River" by Suzanne Linder and Marta Thacker (2001). If your local library doesn't have a copy, you should be able to get it by interlibrary loan.

Hope this helps,
Eric

Re: Kinloch Plantation

Posted: 13 May 2007 10:58AM GMT
Surnames: Bond,Hasell,Thomas,Child, Foissin, Maybank,Wigfall,Maham,Gibbes,Heriot,Sparkman,Ward
If you can find "Georgetown Rice Plantations" by Alberta M. Lachicotte, there is a section with picture of the house on pages 181-183. It is closer to the North Santee river that to Georgetown. I will be glad to copy and s-mail those pages to you if you like.

Posted: 14 May 2007 12:44PM GMT
Surnames: Kinloch
Mary,

I appreciate the message, but I am familiar with the plantation you are referring to - that is Rice Hope. The plantation that I am particularly interested in is Kensington on the Black River north of Georgetown. Kensington is where the Kinlochs originally settled after they left Scotland...

My original post is a couple of years old, but I would still be interested in any family photos of the plantation...

Posted: 24 May 2007 9:18PM GMT
Surnames: Kinloch Kinlaw
Eric, Are you researching the Kinloch or Kinlaw names. There are several of us lookig to make the connection of the Kinlochs to Scotland and connecting to the "Kinlaws" (which the name came to be know in the Lumberton NC area)

I am looking for the book you suggested. Do you have any pictures of Kinlochs or Kinlaw.

Thanks for you information
Sheila

Posted: 29 May 2007 8:12PM GMT
Surnames: Kinloch, Kinlaw
Sheila,

I have done research on the Kinloch family only as it relates to their acquisition and tenure at Kensington Plantation near Georgetown, South Carolina during the late eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries.

For more historical information on the Kinlochs, you can look at Linder and Thacker's book on Georgetown Rice Plantation. Also, on the web, checkout the Glimerton House website (http://www.gilmertonhouse.com/history.htm), or search for Francis Kinloch, Jr., who served in the Continental Congress. I'm sure that lots of information is available about him on the web...

Honestly, I've never seen the spelling of 'Kinlaw' in my research. However, that is not to say that the two names are not related. In the Lowcountry, purposely changing the spelling of a name was a common method of distinguishing/separating two men with the same first and last names for legal purposes (e.g., landownership records).

Good luck!

Posted: 9 Dec 2007 7:24PM GMT
Surnames: fraser
Eric,
Just found your thread of messages re the Kensington Plantation
I am the GG Grandson of Robert E Fraser, one of the owners you listed
in your earlier message of a few years ago.
I would appreciate any info you might be willing to share regarding
either the plantation or Robert E Fraser. (I believe he was a banker
in the Georgetown area)
Doug

Posted: 27 May 2008 2:43PM GMT
Hello.. I was just surfing the net and found the topic interesting. I am a descendent of the slaves of Kinloch plantaion in the Santee area of Georgetown SC. Its funny you guys mention the relations of Kinlaw and Kinloch. Most of my family still carry the name Kinloch and the others changed it to Kinlaw so that they wont have the exact spelling of the slave name. In the black community of Georgetown SC we are all family. Although I have ran into other Kinlaw descendents in different states of the U.S that were not from Georgetown. It's funny how we found out if we are family or not. It's almost like a fraternity. We simply ask where are your grandparents originally from. If they didn't know I've seen them call there parents or grandparents to find out the information.. I always wonder about the Kinlochs and who where they. I am a Gardner by way of my father. That name I'm also curious about. The small town of Georgetown SC with a lot of hidden secrets.

Moses Gardner III

Posted: 28 Oct 2009 1:41AM GMT
Surnames: Gardner
Moses, this is Blanche Gardner Williams are you my cousin and your dad name is Moses
I started a family tree for Gardner
per page

Find a board about a specific topic