Search for content in message boards

Everly/Dennis marriage in Tyler County?

Everly/Dennis marriage in Tyler County?

Cheri Campbell (View posts)
Posted: 22 Jan 2004 1:36PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Everly, Dennis, Moore
My grandfather, Ralph Everly (born 4/26/1905 in Tyler County) was married to Myrtle Lucille Dennis (born 1909 in either Bradford or Otto Township, McKean County, PA). The date I have from my grandfather's obituary is May 3, 1925. While the obituary states that they were married in Sistersville, neither my mother or her younger brother are certain of the place of the marriage.

The Dennis family spent several years in the Sistersville area in (probably) the oil business (my grandmother's grandfather was a millionaire oilman with interests in Bradford & Texas, and my great-grandfather Dennis was always involved in some way or other in the oil fields). My grandmother's older brother, Ronald Dennis, did graduate from Sistersville High School in the mid-1920s.

Anyway, if someone has access to the Tyler County marriage records book, it would be particularly helpful. My grandmother's name might also be recorded as M. Lucille or Lucille (she hated her first name and used it as rarely as possible). Ralph's parents will be listed as Thomas & Martha, while Lucille's will be Simon (or S.T.) and Myrtle. Pleasants County is also a strong possibility, as is McKean County (My grandparents moved there within a few years of their marriage), so any help narrowing the possibilities would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Re: Everly/Dennis marriage in Tyler County?

Fred McPeek (View posts)
Posted: 23 Jan 2004 1:22PM GMT
My mother, Nellie Shuman, lived with the Everly's of Tyler county from the age of 14 in 1933 until she married at the age of 21 in 1941. You identify your Great-grandparents as Thomas and Martha Everly. I think we are talking about the same people although mom said they were named Thomas and Sabina (Bina) Moore Everly. I don't know all of their children's names but I know that there was Shriver, Melvin (Pete) & Mabel. Is this the same family? If so, they actually lived outside of Sistersville near a small community called Pursley. Mrs. Everly was a member of the Pursley Church of Christ so your grandparents may have gotten married at that church or possibly the Church of Christ in Sistersville.
Also, mom used to talk about staying home to take care of the farm while "Grandpa & Grandma Everly" went to visit family in Bradford, Pa.
I live about one hundred miles from Sistersville in Weirton, WV. I get to Tyler co. several times each year. My parents are both buried there. If you do not get the info before my next trip, I will be glad to go to the courthouse in Middlebourne and look up the info that you need. Good Luck!

Posted: 23 Jan 2004 4:06PM GMT
Fred,

Yes, this is is the same family. Thomas & Martha Everly had ten children, nine of whom lived to adulthood. My grandfather - "grandpa" - Ralph was in the middle of that bunch. Laurence was the oldest. There was also Eula, Bessie, Virgie (who never married & owned Everly's dress Shop in St. Marys) , & Harold. My grandparents were the first to move to Bradford, followed by Harold, Mabel (she's alive & fairly well in Virginia at age 93) & Shriver. I knew about the Pursley address, but was rushing on the posting.

I'll post to you privately. Yes, I'll happily accept the offer of a lookup. I've been down there a few times.

Thanks!

Peggy Wiseman (View posts)
Posted: 9 Feb 2005 10:48PM GMT
Surnames: Thomas, Ice, Murphy, Williamson, Tuel, Hensel, Utt
Ronald Dennis married my aunt,Thelma Thomas from Fly, Ohio. I have more information about it if you are interested - write me at my e-mail address. Thanks. I would like to have Ronald's mother and father's name also.

Posted: 12 Feb 2005 2:43PM GMT
Surnames: Everly, Moore, Dennis, Haines, Johnson
My Uncle Ronald & Aunt Thelma!! (well, they were my mom's aunt & uncle, but that's what I called them.) They lived in Custer City, PA, very close to where I grew up in Bradford.

Ronald owned one of the last producing oil wells in the city of Bradford, right behind McDonald's on Main Street. I had NO idea Thelma was from Fly.

I'll email you off-list. My mom, while not terribly internet-savvy yet, is very interested in all things family and will love to hear about this. She will definitely be able to offer some interesting stories. The Dennis family was a colorful bunch, in good and bad ways, and Uncle Ronald was one of the standouts.

Posted: 14 Sep 2013 11:16PM GMT
My great grandmother was Martha Sabina Moore Everly (Thomas Everly's wife). We used to call her Great Bine (short for Sabina). She lived with my grandmother Eula (Everly) Weinberger for several years in Portsmouth VA. I remember her vividly - waist length grey hair, braided and wrapped around her head. She was a slightly heavy set and always wore dresses. I have a picture of her and several other family members on my ancestry.com family tree "Martha Warner Hill" .

per page

Find a board about a specific topic