Search for content in message boards

Indiana Cromers

Indiana Cromers

Posted: 12 Oct 2000 2:08PM GMT
Edited: 24 Jun 2001 6:21PM GMT
JOHN CROMER, b 2 Apr 1758 in Lancaster Co, PA, settled in Harrison Co, IN in 1829 with his second wife, SOPHIA WHISMAN, and several children. He lived for a period in Rockingham Co, VA, probably with his first wife, BARBARA BRUBAKER and married Sophia there on 13 oct 1803. In 1805 the family moved to Laurel Co, KY. Several children remained in Laurel Co, KY and Rockcastle Co, KY, including my direct ancestor, Joseph Cromer and his wife, Mary Linville.

John's children that I am aware settled in Indiana:

By Barbara Brubaker:

GEORGE CROMER, b abt 1798 in Rockingham Co, VA, d abt 1841. Married JANE WALKER abt 1841 in Washington Co, IN.
Children:
John Cromer married Evaline Wilson
Sheridan Cromer
Alexander Cromer
William L. Cromer
Martin Cromer
Samuel Cromer
Katherine Cromer

By Sophia Whisman:

MARTIN CROMER, b abt 1810 in Laurel Co, KY and d Apr 1839 in Harrison Co, IN. Spouse unknown.
Children:
Henry D. Cromer, b 1 Sep 1826 in Harrison Co, IN and d 16 May 1877 in Jackson Co, OR

MARTHA CROMER, b abt 1813 in Laurel Co, KY
and d abt 1838 in Indiana. Married Hanson Hislop on 5 dec 1833 in Harrison Co, IN.

CHARITY CROMER, b abt 1816 in Rockcastle Co, KY. Married Harvey Wilson on 18 Sep 1837 in Harrison Co, IN.

I also believe that several of the children of GEORGE CROMER, b 3 Jun 1788 in Lancaster Co, PA, and d 10 Dec 1877 in Clear Spring, Washington Co, MD, also settled in Indiana.
This George Cromer was probably the nephew of my John Cromer, possibly the son of Frederick Cromer, Jr. George married ANNA MARIE RUMMEL abt 1810 in PA.
Children, born abt 1811-1832:
George Cromer
Jacob Cromer
Frederick Cromer
John Besore Cromer
Josiah Cromer
Henry Jeremiah Cromer
Elizabeth Cromer married George Baker in OH
Hannah Esther Cromer married Unknown Beard
Mary Cromer
Andrew Jackson Cromer

Note from Indiana Marriages to 1850:

George Cromer and Nancy Denton, 5 Sep 1847 in Harrison Co, IN

Andrew Cromer and Margaret Metzer, 28 Sep 1848 in Henry Co, IN

Frederick Cromer and Martha Noggle, 8 Sep 1850 in Henry Co, IN

Mary Cromer and Nelson Thayer, 15 Jun 1847
in White Co, IN

and

Mary Cromer and John Hamilton, 17 May 1847 in Carroll Co, IN

Polly Cromer and Elisha Murphey, 10 Oct 1847 in Carroll Co, IN

Sophia Cromer and John Lane, 21 Mar 1850 in Fulton Co, IN

Well, this is all food for thought!

Bob Bray
Cincinnati, Ohio
rbray329@aol.com

Correct name of Catherine Brubaker

Posted: 18 Oct 2000 9:56PM GMT
Please note an error in my posting...John Cromer's first wife was CATHERINE BRUBAKER, not Barbara.

Sorry.

Bob Bray
rbray329@aol.com

Polly Cromer and Elisha Murphey

Posted: 23 Oct 2000 7:52AM GMT
Edited: 25 Jun 2001 1:53AM GMT
I have some record of the above named individuals. It is my understanding that this was both the bride and groom's second marriage. Polly (maiden name Parris) was married to Joseph Cromer and Elisha Murphy was married to Mahalla Cromer. (Mahalla and Joseph were sister and brother...the in-laws married).

If anyone has any information on these two, PLEASE email me!

Thanks

Michael Kelnosky
mkelnosky@aol.com

Mahala Cromer

Posted: 24 Nov 2000 12:44PM GMT
Edited: 27 Jul 2001 5:25PM GMT
Hi Bob!!
My grandmother on my father's side, was Mahala Clementine Cromer. She was born in 1871 in Rockcastle Cty., Ky. She married John Rodney Nichols. Grandma died in Des Plaines, Ill. 6 mos. before her 100th birthday in 1971.
John and Mahala had 12 children-my father was James Wm. was the youngest son-born March 28, 1902 and died in Minot, North Dakota, Dec. 31, 1980.
Please reply and I will also. There is also another that I have been e-mailing and her name is Lesley Burke. She's looking for both Nichols and Cromer.
Sybil Johnson.

Mahala Cromer

Posted: 24 Nov 2000 6:16PM GMT
Great to hear from you, Sybil! I have heard from Lesley already! We are actually related on two sides then...on my mother's to Joseph Cromer and on my father's to Littleberry Bray.

I am descended from Joseph and Mary Linville Cromer's son, David Cromer and Elizabeth Southard. Through their son, William N. Cromer and Emeliza Bradley...my great grandparents. This line of Cromers remained in Rockcastle Co, KY. My grandfather, Fred Lee Cromer, Sr., married Sidney Kincer in RCK and then later moved to Cincinnati, Ohio.

Mahala's mother, Mary Bray, was the daughter of Nathan Bray and Mary Baker. Nathan was the son of Benjamin Bray, b abt 1784, and Mary Price, b abt 1793. Benjamin was the son of Littleberry Bray, b abt 1745, and Sarah Unknown. I am descended from Benjamin's brother, Isaiah Bray and Phoebe Brinson.

I have a photo of Joseph Cromer and Mary Linville I can email you.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Bob Bray
8035 Village Dr.
Cincinnati, OH 45242
rbray329@aol.com

George and Anna Maria (Rummel) Cromer's

Posted: 15 Jan 2001 2:18PM GMT
Edited: 24 Jun 2001 8:21PM GMT
Their children were:
Elizabeth married George Baker
Mary married John M. Mowrey in Franklin Co, PA 1836 (After Mary's death, John married Mary Baker, Elizabeth's daughter in Delaware or Marion Co, IN)
Margaret married Dennis Cosley, probably in Ohio
George married Rebecca Smith
Jacob married Heotie Bear
Frederick married Martha Noggle Sallie McAllister
John Basor married Mary Catherine Hedrick or Hendrick probably in Washington Co, MD
Josiah married Mary Schultz in Wayne Co, IN
Andrew Jackson married Margaret Metzker in Henry Co, IN
Jeremiah Basor married Mary Keller in MD
Hannah Esther married Benjamin Beard in Clear Spring, MD

Mahala Cromer

Greg Cromer (View posts)
Posted: 7 Feb 2001 9:15AM GMT
Mahala Clememtine Cromer Was my 1st cousin 3 times removed I would like to trade information, my e-mail address is:
gcbooner1@home.com

Re: Indiana Cromers

Posted: 27 Jun 2001 2:12PM GMT
Surnames: Cromer
Hi Robert, I contacted you a couple of years ago about the Rockcastle Co. Cromers, you may remember me. My name is Terri Price, and my cousin Debbie also contacted you. I have been off line for awhile and now I am back on and would like any current info you have. I have also lost contact with Debbie, please e-mail me if you have any new info. Thank you, Terri.

Re: Mahala Cromer

Posted: 10 Sep 2001 5:56PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi Greg!

What a small world. Have you written to either Bob Bray or Leslie Burke? They are also looking for Nichols family.
You and Bob have been the only ones to answer my query on my grandmother Mahala.
Did you happen to know any of the others? Like maybe my father--James Wm.? He wasn't thought to much of and I can't blame any of the family. He died Dec. 31, 1980, in Minot, North Dakota; where I had been living.
I remember seeing Mahala once and that was when I was little. I remember her, but none of the family stories.
In 1971, after moving to Minot, I found Aunt Myrtle (dad's y9ounger sister0. She passed away 2 weeks before my dad.

There is so much I want to say, but here is not enough room.
Would it be ossible, if I give you my address, you can drop me a line? I would really love to stay in touch.
Sybil (Nichols) Johnson
923 E. 6th Street
Cheyenne, Wy 82007-1629

Hope to hear from you soon. Boy, will my daughter be surprised.

Re: George and Anna Maria (Rummel) Cromer's

Posted: 15 Jun 2005 4:27PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: CROMER/CRAWMER, THOMPSON, GREER, STATLER
Can you please give me more info on George and Rebecca (SMITH)? When was George born? Where did they live? Do you know about children between them? I'm very interested to hear from you. Thank you, sharonstatler@myfamily.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions