Search for content in message boards

James Alfred Leathers

James Alfred Leathers

Posted: 13 Dec 2000 10:15AM GMT
Edited: 23 Jun 2001 7:20PM GMT
I am descended from James, born 1775, location unknown, whose spouse was Margaret Vinson who was born in SC in 1785, father James Vinson. James died in Rutherford county TN in 1838. His first family, my family tree relocated to Arkansas. He was apparently married earlier, spouse unknown. If anyone, especially in TN or SC finds any ancestors for James please let me know. I have traced all the James' born around that time and with spouses names of Margaret and have almost deduced that his father was probably Nancy whose father was John and motherAnn Leathers. Nancy was married to an Unknown Leathers. Any knowledge would be appreciated. My line runs from James>Raliegh Harvel Morgan Leathers(Arkansas)>James(Jim) Anderson Leathers(Ark-Ok)>Velma Pauline Leathers Melson(Ok)and Charles Grady Melson(Ok).

Re: James Alfred Leathers

Posted: 15 May 2009 7:09PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Leathers
I am also a decendant of Raleigh Harvel-Morgan Leathers (A.K.A. Rolla HM Leathers, RHM Leathers...)Born:12/22/1833TN
and his wife Margaret Pauline Lipps-Leathers Born:1835.
My branch is that of their daughter.
Margaret Francis Leathers-Yeager Born:2/22/1860AR.
Her brother John Riley Leathers, other brother James Anderson Leathers, her mother, herself and many many others all applied for free indian land in OK. Claiming to be Cherokee. MILLER-GUION ROLL#'s: 33610,33611,33612,33613,... Application # 817
They were all denied land. Why? No idea yet.

Raleigh Harvel-Morgan Leathers' parents were;
James Alfred Leathers Born: 1775 S.C. Died:7-3-1838 TN
Margaret ? Vinson Born: 1795 S.C. Died in AR
Married in 3-22-1816 S.C.

I believe this is the same James Alfred whom was married to a woman named Elizabeth A. Forrester
married 10-12-1799 N.C.

Margaret Vinson's parents were James Vinson and Martha Unknown last name?

Re: James Alfred Leathers

Posted: 15 May 2009 7:15PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Leathers
forgot to say one very important clue to your puzzle.

James Alfred Leathers may have also gone by the name John P Leathers (don't know for sure)

He had a daughter with his first wife Elizabeth A. Forrester
think there may be 12 more children linked to this couple but the only one I find on the census still with James A. Leathers and Margaret Vinson is Nancy M.

Daughter's name was Nancy M. Leathers Born: abt. 1799 N.C.
Nancy married Elijah Smotherman

Hope this helps
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions