Search for content in message boards

Correcting mistakes

Correcting mistakes

Posted: 7 Jan 2014 2:16AM GMT
Classification: Query
I'm having trouble correcting mistakes on my family tree here on Ancestry. I don't know how I did it, but I've wound up with some duplicate entries that show up completely separately from each other, I have mix-ups with parents and children, and I have one big section that just needs to be deleted because I made a big goof that resulted in my adding a section of the tree that is just wrong. Are there easy ways to correct these things, particularly deleting a whole group of people Should I do it on Ancestry itself, or would it be better to try to correct things in Family Tree and then sync it? How do I be sure that the right version syncs?

Thanks.

Re: Correcting mistakes

Posted: 7 Jan 2014 4:22PM GMT
If you added or linked information from other people's trees, that is probably how you wound up with a messy tree. If that is indeed what happened, you have probably learned a valuable lesson. Never do that any more. Always add information gleaned from another persons trees manually and always do your own research before you add that information.

Posted: 7 Jan 2014 4:43PM GMT
It is certainly easier to correct in FTM. If you are already syncing, and that is working, fix a small portion of FTM at a time and then sync again.

Posted: 7 Jan 2014 5:29PM GMT
Thanks, does it always sync to the one most recently updated? Thanks.

Posted: 7 Jan 2014 5:32PM GMT
In some cases, you're right, and all I have to say is that anyone starting out in this field has to learn bit by bit and will inevitably make mistakes. Not all my mistakes are of that type, though, in some cases I have duplicates of valid entries, or "crossed wires," especially where there are multiple wives. How do you suggest I proceed in correcting things? Any advice?

Posted: 7 Jan 2014 7:06PM GMT
One thing to watch for going forward is that sometimes the system will try to add someone as a "new person" (e.g., from a census record) who actually is in the tree, but the merge/add function does not recognize that. Always double check to see whether a name is being added as "new" so you can catch it at the front end - that's likely how some of your duplicates crept in. Don't forget the "merge duplicate" function to take care of this. Also, check the "list of all people" to make sure they really are duplicates - depending on what view you are in (pedigree, family, etc.) sometimes people who have multiple relationships may be displayed more than once - if they are "true" duplicates, you will see them in the "list of all people" and can address through the merge function, or delete, as necessary.

Posted: 9 Feb 2014 3:56AM GMT
It syncs in both directions taking whichever version of the entry is the newest.

Posted: 12 Feb 2014 3:32PM GMT
Edited: 12 Feb 2014 3:38PM GMT
If most of your online tree is other peoples work and imported into your tree, actually multiple trees in the one file. Would it be easier and less time consuming to just delete your entire file, or mess, and re import the desired and best tree that you are happy with??

If a large portion of your file is real research and hard work that you have spent much time and have worked up yourself and then imported others, in duplicates, stuff into the hard work, I guess to try to sort that out and delete the mess.

Good luck with it all and I am impressed that you recognize the mess as a mess and dedicated to getting it right whatever it takes to resurrect, or start all over, your file.. a judgement call for sure.

tick, tick, tick
I did go to your largest family file and the,, "Index A-Z,,,, and did see several dupes on each of several pages of the index so it doesn't appear to be near as bad as most that I see in Public Member Trees.
I'm also glad to see someone as yourself with the pride to clean it up and get it right, so many don't.

Good luck,,

Posted: 14 Feb 2014 1:29AM GMT
Edited: 14 Feb 2014 1:49AM GMT
Thanks so much for your kind words, Jerry! Mostly the problem is duplicates, which I don't know how I generated, although there is one section that is just wrong. Most of what I have, I have verified myself, and I care very much about having it be right, since I feel it's a legacy I'm leaving for the younger members of my family. So I will work on cleaning it up.

One question -- where do I find the A-Z index?

Posted: 15 Feb 2014 11:54AM GMT
Edited: 15 Feb 2014 12:13PM GMT
To get to the alpha listing, one route is to click the "find person" box on the upper right while you are in a profile, and in the drop down menu you will see "list of all people" as an option.

One other thing - you mentioned having added a whole branch that needs to go, but you need to be very systematic about that or you will end up with small clumps of folks who aren't connected to anyone else still in the tree, and they can be hard to spot. To delete a large group, you need to start at the outer edges and work back to the point where if connects to the tree. For example, if the problem is that you incorrectly attached someone as the wife of your second great grandfather's brother, and then added her parents and grandparents, her siblings, their spouses, etc., you would start with her grandparents, then her siblings and their spouses and children, then her parents, and only then the incorrectly added "wife." If you start with her, you will for sure lose track of some of the relations, which is one way you can end up with "orphans" in your tree.

Good luck with this, and do ask questions if you get stuck on something.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic