Search for content in message boards

Simmons Mill, Coffee County, Alabama

Simmons Mill, Coffee County, Alabama

Posted: 13 Sep 2005 9:10PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 13 May 2007 10:28PM GMT
Surnames: Green, Dyess, Houston
My wife browsed and discovered that my mother, age 11, lived in Simmons Mill, Coffee Co., ALA according to the 1930 Census of Alabama, but the map of ALA or mapquest do not include that tiny town. I would appreciate hearing from you who can tell me the location of Simmons Mill. Is it disappearing?

Please send your email to FoliageOct@aol.com
Thank you in advance.

Re: Simmons Mill, Coffee County, Alabama

Posted: 6 Dec 2005 5:53AM GMT
Simmon's Mill is not listed in Foscue's Place Names in Alabama. I haven't found it on old maps. I see clues in the 1930 census such as Brundidge Rd., Fresco Rd., and Roeton Rd. Those would indicate that it was a community in NE Coffee Co. Brundidge is in Pike Co. and Fresco and Roeton are in NE Coffee Co.

Posted: 8 Dec 2005 4:47AM GMT
Edited: 13 May 2007 10:28PM GMT
Many thanks for telling me where Simmons Mill is located. I'll look those street addresses in a mapquest. This is very helpful.

I was born in Tennille near Brundidge, Alabama.

Posted: 5 Apr 2006 6:03PM GMT
simmons mill was really a mill and set on the edge of clear water creek just inside coffee co address route 1 Tennille Al hope this has helped rena

Posted: 8 Oct 2007 3:13AM GMT
Surnames: Simmons
My husband's grandfather was Thomas Jefferson Simmons and he owned Simmons Mill in Coffee Co. I have photos of it. Could this be the same one you are talking about?

Posted: 8 Oct 2007 11:14AM GMT
Hello...I am interested in posting your photographs of the Simmons Mill on the Coffee County ALGenWeb Project and the Pea River Historical and Genealogical Society websites. Do you mind sharing them with me? See http://www.rootsweb.com/~alcoffee and http://www.rootsweb.com/~alprhgs If you do not mind sharing them, please forward them to me at kwanja@centurytel.net

Thank you kindly.

Phyllis J. K. Owens

Posted: 8 Oct 2007 11:32PM GMT
Surnames: Dyess, Green
Yes, this is the same one I was talking about -- Simmons Mill in NE part of Coffee Co which is a stone thrown from Pike Co. Yes, please show me your photos of Simmons Mill.

I wonder if Chestnut Grove Cemetery is located in Simmons Mill. When my husband's mother (Ann Mae Green (Cullen) died 2 1/2 years ago, she was buried there after a church service in Troy, Ala. When we followed the line of cars to the cemetery, the road was so winding with little road signs that we could not remember where if we should return.

The family's last name is Green who lived in Simmon Mill, in case, you may be familiar with.

Please contact me at FoliageOct@aol.com

Thank you for contacting me.
Maryte Dyess

Posted: 11 Oct 2007 4:32PM GMT
Chestnut Grove is several miles West of where Simmons Mill was located. I have family buried at Chestnut Grove. It is easy to find. Go south from Brundidge on 125 into Coffee Co. to Clowers cross Rd. take right and it is not far on Co. Rd. 111 Dorkas Church on right and across the road is Chestnut Grove.

When you go to Elba from Brundidge on 125 there was a curved bridge that crossed Pea River. The bridge was J.B.Simmons bridge. The bridge has been torn down. Just wondering if this was some of the same Simmons. I was from Elba.

Roger Parker parker@lcoc.net

Posted: 12 Oct 2007 12:21AM GMT
We have a very big family, but I don't know of anyone named J B Simmons...not even back many years ago. And no one ever mentioned a bridge named for someone we were related to. Must not be our Simmons family.

Posted: 12 Oct 2007 2:52PM GMT
Was your Thomas Jefferson Simmons married to Nancy Wise? IF so, do you know who their parents were?
I have one daughter of theirs being married to a Hollwy. But I don't know how they connect to the other Simmons or Wise family in the area. Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,
Tonia Porter
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions