Search for content in message boards

Found: Page Family Bible with records-Early to mid 1800s.

Found: Page Family Bible with records-Early to mid 1800s.

Justin (View posts)
Posted: 11 Sep 2004 2:23AM GMT
Classification: Bible
Surnames: Page
I recently came into posession of a bible which I bought at a local thrift store. It's falling apart but within the pages, on the back of the first page of Psalms is listed in quill pen writing, the history of a family with the surname Page. Also contained in the bible are random papers, including an obituary:

Marie, the 5 year old daughter od Mr and Mrs W.S. Page of Cool Springs, died yesterday afternoon after an ilness with diptheria...

the obit. goes on to say Marie was Mr. and Mrs. Page's only daugher, and will be buried at Fifth Creek church...

If anyone is looking for any of this information regarding this family, or knows anything about them and would be so kind as to send it my way, it would be much appreciated. It would be ideal if I could find direct family who would like to have the bible, but if that is not possible, I would like to know more about this family and why such an important part of thier history was in a thirft store for a quarter.

Full list from the page before Psalms-

Stephen Page married Elizabeth on 28? January 1832
Their children:
Frances Page was born 11th of November 1832
James Bentley Page was born 11th of February 1835
Bedford Jackson Page was born Sept? 18th of 1836
William Whitehead Page was born 17th Novemebr 1838
Elizabeth Susan Page was born 25th February, 1840

Also in the bible are old newspaper clippings and personal notes.

Re: Found: Page Family Bible with records-Early to mid 1800s.

Patty (View posts)
Posted: 15 Feb 2005 5:10AM GMT
Classification: Query
Justin,
Did you purchase the Page family bible in Caswell, NC? I have several close friends who are Pages, I will forward this information on to them and them contact you if they are interested.

Patty

Posted: 4 Mar 2005 2:25PM GMT
Classification: Bible
Edited: 11 Mar 2005 3:31AM GMT
I am very much interested in the Bible with Page family listings which you purchased in a thrift store. The family listing in the Bible contains the name of my great-grandfather (James Bentley Page) and my great-great-grandfather (Stephen B. Page). An acquaintance read your posting recently and passed it on to me.

Please let me know what steps I need to take. I will gladly pay all shipping costs and also reimburse you for your efforts.

Thank you for taking the time to try to find someone who would be interested in this material.

Sincerely,
G. Allison Page

Posted: 5 Sep 2007 5:30PM GMT
Surnames: Page, Sheppard, Sheppard
To G. Allison:
I've been studying the PAGE families of Iredell county NC, particularly trying to find out if the DELILAH PAGE found in the 1860 and 1870 Iredell county censuses is the widow Delilah Page found in the 1850 census of Caswell county. That Delilah is alledged to he a daughter of WHITEHEAD PAGE of Caswell county, and therefore closely related to the Stephen Page whose family data was found in the old Bible of COOL SPRING or SPRINGS, Iredell county.

Delilah's name and age fits the widow of the Samuel Page of Caswell, but the children in her 1860 and 1870 Iredell county household do not. And I've not been able to determine who those people are. Anyone out there have any ideas?

Your name caught my eye. Do you know the source or history of your name Allison? Could it be from ALLISON FRANCES PAGE, who fathered five sons who became some of the most famous (and wealthy) PAGE men of the Iredell, Montgomery, Moore and Wake county sections of North Carolina? Allison was born 1824, probably in Wake county where he is found in 1870 and 1880 censuses and possibly earlier. He preferred to go by the name Frank or the initials A. F. (Page). He died at his home in Raleigh NC the Monday night before 20Oct1899, when his death notice or obit was published in the LANDMARK newspaper of Statesville, Iredell county NC.

Frank's oldest son Walter Hines Page became the famous and wealthy author, editor and owner of several newspapers, one of which was in New York where he lived. His other four sons managed to get placed in most strategic positions within the A. & A. Railroad of NC, and made their fortunes.

Allison Frances was also the brother of the esteemed Reverend Jesse Hayes Page, who is mostly found outside of Iredell censuses, but preached in an M. E. church in Statesville of Iredell county for a long time.

In the 1900 NC, Montgomery county census, the occupations of Allison's sons were; Robert N., Railroad Treasurer, Junius R., Railroad Superintendent, Frank (Jr.?) was Railroad Auditor, and Henry A. was (occupation too light to read).

In the 1910 Moore County census was A. F.'s son Henry A. Page, "President, A & A Railroad". In the 1910 census of Montgomery county, his sons Junius R. was "Supt, A & A Railroad", Frank was "Auditor, A & A Railroad", and Robert N. (Newton) was "Member of Congress, Washington".

Hope someone finds this useful as well as interesting. In return, I'd like to swap any and all information in regard to those PAGES of Iredell county that did come or might have come from Caswell county NC, or Rockingham & Guilford counties, to which many Caswell Pages moved. I've know that at least ONE of the Iredell PAGE families did indeed originate in Caswell county.

Not sure this Ancestry.com forum has my proper address, so please email or alert me at A Klinger @ Charter . net, (but remove the spaces).

Art

Posted: 25 Nov 2012 3:32AM GMT
Surnames: Russell, Page
I am so glad I came across this information. My RUSSELL ancestors were living in Cherokee Co., AL in 1850 with them is a James Page enumerated with them. His age makes him born prior to the marriage of the father (head of household) My family tree is posted on ancestry.com, I've disputed what my genealogy cousins assumed to be that James Page was a prior marriage child of the wife of the HH. I've never believed that, and now this site and these comments have shown me that I'm on the right track. Thank you! Feel free to contact me if you have any information to further contribute.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic