Search for content in message boards

GREGORY

Posted: 1 Feb 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 26 Jun 2001 3:56PM GMT
Surnames: GREGORY
John GREGORY born about 1765 in S.C died 1846 in Crittenden Co. Ky. His will names wife Rachel and children John D. born 1809 S.C., Robert, Rachel, Elizabeth, Sally, Miriam, Rebecca and Rhoda.
Son John D. married (2) Melvina Jacobs in Rutherford Co. Tenn in 1837. They lived in Crittenden Co. Ky. Who was the first wife whom he married about 1830?
Posted: 12 Sep 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 17 Jul 2001 11:00PM GMT
Surnames: gregory, antilla, paterson, florance, lunsford, tomai, novotny, jacobs, griffin, ryan

I have a John Gregory born in 1805 who married a
Parthena Jacobs in 1828-in N.C could they some how be related? Was told that my John Gregory's father was Charles G Gregoryand mother was Chastity?
thanks

John D. Gregory

Posted: 16 Sep 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 26 Jun 2001 3:56PM GMT
Surnames: GREGORY, ARNOLD, GRISSOM, GAITHER, DAUGHTERY, FRITZ
I have, since posting my original query, found that John D. GREGORY was married first to Mary ARNOLD. The first four children were Mary's and named in her fathers will. Their married names were, Lucy B. GRISSOM, Mary Ann FRITZ, Melissa GAITHER, and Amelia Eveline (KING) DAUGHTERY.

forance,lunsford

Tammy Florance Tomblin (View posts)
Posted: 20 Sep 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: florance
I also would like to know my roots. The name lunsford and florance are two for sure. I live in Va.

Re: Gregory

Posted: 26 Nov 2001 12:55AM GMT
Edited: 23 May 2003 4:42PM GMT
Surnames: Gregory, Wrenn, Hudgins
Hello Heidi,

John Gregory was a son of Charles Gregory of Person County and his first wife. It is interesting that you have her name as Chastity. There is a deed of gift from John's father bestowing him some land while Charles was still living.

I am a descendant of Charles through his daughter Catherine Dicey Gregory Wrenn Hudgins. My ancestor was Sidney Wrenn, her first husband.

Best regards,

John Fox
Winston-Salem, NC

Posted: 26 Nov 2001 3:00AM GMT
John Fox.... What are the dates for your John Gregory and Charles Gregory?

Posted: 26 Nov 2001 5:34AM GMT
Surnames: Gregory, Thompson
Hello Marilyn,

Charles Gregory was 1766-1843; his son John was born ca. 1807

Charles was a son of James Gregory(1723-1799 and his wife, Sarah Thompson(born ca. 1739.

John Fox
Winston-Salem, NC

Bobbie Lampi (View posts)
Posted: 26 Nov 2001 7:46AM GMT
Surnames: Gregory, Jacobs
Dear Heidi and John...
Just reading through some threads and found this one. Then realized that Heidi is my second cousin who has the name of Chastity as Charles Gregory's first wife, information that she found in my own book. When I published a family history in 1986, that was the information I had (rather unofficially and undocumented, I guess) about Charles' marriages. Since then, I have come to believe otherwise about Chastity. I couldn't tell you off-hand my source for that information, just that since then I have found other information in County records to suggest that Charles' first wife was named Mary and his second wife was Mary Polly Jacobs.

Bobbie Lampi

Posted: 24 Jun 2002 9:12PM GMT
Edited: 19 Aug 2005 11:44PM GMT
Surnames: Langford, Gregory, Penick, Averitt
Do you have any additional information on Charles or James other children? I am looking for information on Banister (Bannister) Gregory who I show as born in 1797 in Bradfordsville(?), Marion Co., Kentucky. Banister had a daughter Dicey who might have been named after Charles' daughter Catherine Dicey?

Posted: 5 Jul 2002 1:53AM GMT
Surnames: Gregory, Barecock, Thompson, Morris, Jacobs, Fulcher, Johnson, Heraldson(Harrelson), Muirhead, Dickson(Dixon), Hardins, Allison, Ross, Pratt, Hastings, Freeland, Grant, Huntington, Ashe, Mickles, Hite, Hudgins, Bradsher, Mundy, Mason, Renn,
James Gregory's family is as follows:

Husband: James GREGORY

Birth: 1723 Place: Tidewater, Nansemond County, Virginia
Death: 1799 Place: Person County, North Carolina
Father: Richard GREGORY (1675-1719)
Mother: Margaret BARECOCK (1675-1753)

Marriage: 28 November 1756 Place: St.James Parish, Goochland County, Virginia

Wife: Sarah THOMPSON

Birth: About 1739
Father: George THOMPSON

Children...

1. F Child: Elizabeth GREGORY
Birth: After 1740

2. M Child: John GREGORY
Birth: After 1740

3. M Child: William James GREGORY
Birth: 11 August 175094 Place: Goochland County, Virginia; Register Of St James Northam Par
Death: 11 July 1836 Place: Lincoln County, North Carolina
Burial: Place: Olney Presbyterian Cemetery
Education: Literate
Spouse: Margaret MORRIS
Marriage: About 1778

4. M Child: Joseph GREGORY
Birth: 1760
Death: After 1793

5. M Child: Abraham GREGORY
Birth: 1762
Death: 1850

6. M Child: James GREGORY
Birth: Before 1762
Death: After 1835

7. M Child: George GREGORY
Birth: 1763

8. M Child: Charles GREGORY
Birth: 1766
Death: 1843
Spouse: Mary? UNKNOWN
Spouse: Mary JACOBS
Marriage: 2 May 1818 Place: Person County, North Carolina

9. F Child: Mary GREGORY
Birth: Before 1769
Death: 1850
Spouse: William Henry FULCHER
Marriage: 21 December 1786 Place: Caswell County, North Carolina

10. F Child: Sally GREGORY

Husbands Notes...

Notes:
CASWELL CO., NC

A:87 James GREGORY of Caswell to John JOHNSTON 7 Sep. 1778; 177 a. SS
Gents Cr.; adj. Ezekiel HERALDSON [Harrelson]; "part of larger tr.
granted to sd Gregory." [I did not find the grant/jgs]

A:542 James GREGORY of Caswell to Claud MUIRHEAD 1 Feb. 1779; 143 a.
"whereon I now live" on Gents Cr. on waters of Hico; adj. Michell
DICKSON [DIXON] Sr. & William HARDINS.

PERSON CO., NC (Caswell Co. before 1791/2)
James GREGORY appears in Taxables 1781-1791, 244 acres St. Lawrence
Dist. I (Kelly Biak) did not find him a taxable on lists 1793, 1794, 1797, 1798; neither found conveyance of the 244 a. Person Co. Court Min. Sep. Court 1799 - ordered that Abram GRIGORY admr & C sell the personal property of James GRIGORY DEC'D.

The Douglas Register-Goochland Co. p. 23 "GREGORY, James, m. Sarah
THOMSON, both in this parish 1756, Nov."

p. 53 "Baptisms: James
GREGORY & Sarah THOMPSON a son named William born Aug. 11, 1758. Bapt.
Dec. 3, 1758."

Designated by his mother's will of 2 February 1746/1747 as administrator of her estate. Her will was probated in the July Court 1752 in Pasquotank County, North Carolina.

???Orange County, N.C. Deed Book 3 Page 26 21 September 1787 John ALLISON of Hillsborough to James GREGORIE{James Gregory from Person Co to York Co, SC?}of Charleston, South Carolina, three hundred seventy four pounds eight shillings with lawful interest from 15 June 1784 and further consideration of five shillings, all of John ALLISON'S lots and houses in Hillsborough, mortgage deed: a corner lot near the Market (No. 6), 453 acres, on waters of Eno River, joins Andrew ROSS, James PRATT, James HASTINGS, and Joseph HASTINS, from James FREELAND, Sheriff, to ALLISON, money due to GREGORIE 1 May 1788 signed: John ALLISON Witness: James GRANT, Boswell HUNTINGTON acknowledged 7 October 1787 before Samuel ASHE SCC compd. by A. MICKLES PR---see Joseph Hite 1790 Orange NC census p.97 with Joseph Hastings----no Gregory listed---see Elias Ross & Allison p. 954, 1800 York SC census--see Gregory to York from Person-Caswell Co NC, William Gregory Am. Rev War vet from Orange NC to Lincoln Co NC

Sources:
1. Title: Rev. War Pension
Text: Served in NC Militia during Revolutionary War. Pension paid in Lincoln County, NC

Record Book 2, pp 178 Inv. of estate of Jas. GREGORY 15 Mar. 1799.
Rec. Sep. Court 1799. 1 bed & furn., 1 chest, 1 pale.
Record Bk 2, pp 298 Sales of estate of Jas GREGORY
1 feather bed 5.10.0
1 chest 1.12.6
1 pail 0.5.7
1 sheet 1.7.0

Last Modified: 29 May 2002

Reference Note 94
Register of St. James Northam Parish

Charles Gregory's family is as follows:

Husband: Charles GREGORY

Birth: 1766
Death: 1843
Father: James GREGORY (1723-1799)
Mother: Sarah THOMPSON (1739-)
Other spouses: Mary JACOBS

Wife: Mary? UNKNOWN

Children...

1. F Child: Elizabeth "Betsy" GREGORY
Spouse: Burgess FULCHER
Marriage: 21 December 1817 Place: Person County, North Carolina

2. M Child: John GREGORY
Birth: About 1807
Spouse: Parthena JACOBS
Marriage: 25 December 1828 Place: Person County, North Carolina

3. F Child: Catherine "Dicey" T. GREGORY
Birth: About 1810
Death: About 1865 Place: Person County, North Carolina
Spouse: Sidney WRENN
Marriage: 25 October 1828 Place: Person County, North Carolina
Spouse: Thomas Henry HUDGINS
Marriage: 5 July 1855 Place: Person County, North Carolina11

Husbands Notes...

Notes:
The name of Charles' first wife is not known; but his second wife was Mary Jacobs, who was a daughter of Benjamin Jacobs of Caswell County, North Carolina. As far as can be determined, there were no children from the second marriage.

Charles was dead by June of 1843 when the following deed was registered:

This Indenture made & ordered into this the 16 day of June 1846 between Jno Bradsher Clerk & _______ in and for the County of Person and State os NCarolina of the one part & Jesse Mundy of the Same County & State of the other part Witnesseth that for and in consideration of the Sum of $180.00 to the Said Jno Bradsher Clerk & was in hand paid the Recept Wherof is hereby acknowldged hath Given Granted Bargained & Sold and by these presents doth give grant Bargain & Sell unto the Said Jesse Munday a certain tract or parcel of Land Lying and being in the Said Cty of Person on the Waters of Rose Merry creek Beginning at a Stone corner thence West 21 1/2 poles to a Stone corner thence North 124 poles to a whiteoak corner thence West 80 poles to a corner thence west 103 poles to a Stone a____ pointers thence one & a half degree West 122 poles to a Stone at the Beginning contaiuing by estimation 212 1/2 Acres be the Same more or less which said Land was Sold by Virtue of a petition and desire of the Court of Equity for the benefit of the heirs at Law of Charles Gregory Decd as special by his will and was Knocked down to the Said Jesse Munday he being the highest & Last Bidder for the aforesaid Sum of $180.00 to have and to hold the Said Bargained premisis together with a Singularly all the appurtenances thereto belonging to the only proper use & benefit of hem the Said Jesse Munday his heirs & assigns forever defend the right & title free and cler from the claims of any & all others persons whatsoever to the only proper use of him the said Jesse Munday his heirs & assigns forever. In Witness wherof the Said Jno Bradsher Clerk & _____as aforesaid hath hereunto Sett his hand & affixed his Seal the day & date above written.
State of NC Court of Pleas & Quarter Sessions, Person Cnty
Jno Bradsher (Seal)
June Term 1846
The Execution of the foregoing deed was duly acknowledged in open court and on motion was ordered to be Registered. Charles Mason

Charles Gregory was overseer of the Person County, NC Poor House in 1860 Person County census

Estate Records 1795-1920 C.R. 078.508.17
Amt. of the sales of property belonging to the estate of Charles
GREGORY dec'd made April 15, 1843--91.57.
Amt. of 2nd sale of prop. of sd Charles GREGORY Sep. 9, 1843
16.00 3/4 totaling 107.57 3/4.
Court of Pleas & Quarter Sessions June 1843.
Another paper shows Mary Gregory widow & that Charles Gregory
died "_____ 1843," possessed of tract adjoining land of Jesse MUNDY &
others, being the same on which he lived & died.
June Term 1843 Ordered that Jesse Munday be appointed gdn of
Mary Jane RENN, minor child of Sidney RENN dec'd. (Don't know if
Sidney RENN had recently died or Charles Gregory was gdn before his
death.)
Sep. Term 1843 - Jesse MUNDAY adm. estate.

Last Modified: 5 January 2002

Reference Note 11
Person County Marriage Bonds.

per page

Find a board about a specific topic