Search for content in message boards

Sun River, Lower Canada

Sun River, Lower Canada

Posted: 13 Aug 2011 9:03PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 15 Aug 2011 12:40AM GMT
I have an ancestor born in Sun River, Lower Canada in 1837. I am not able to find modern information for where this was. Any help is appreciated.

Re: Lower Canada

Posted: 13 Aug 2011 9:45PM GMT
Edited: 15 Aug 2011 12:40AM GMT
snip Even though Lower Canada (Quebec)
and Upper Canada (Ontario)
were really close to each other they really had a difference between each other.
Here's the tricky and hard part to figure out.
Even though right now on a map you see that Quebec is higher drawn than Ontario, why do you think they called Quebec Lower Canada and why do you think they called Ontario Upper Canada. I will now tell you.
The reason why they called Queebec Lower Canada and Ontario Upper Canada was because of the land elevation.
Quebec's (Lower Canada) land elevation was was lower than Ontario's (Upper Canada) land elevation which is was higher than Quebec's land elevation. snip

Posted: 13 Aug 2011 10:18PM GMT
muse51 - Lower Canada is now Quebec but are you certain the place was called Sun River? I'm wondering if maybe the handwriting is hard to read and/or it's a transcription error.

Posted: 13 Aug 2011 10:28PM GMT
thank you so much for your post. The Sun River comes from his US census information in later years, listing Sun River, Lower Canada as place of origin. However, he did live in Sun River, Montana for a time so I'm thinking that information was perhaps confused. I am now much clearer on the Upper and Lower Canada issue.

Posted: 18 Aug 2011 3:36AM GMT
The Province of Upper Canada (French: province du Haut-Canada) was a political division in British Canada established in 1791 by the British Empire to govern the central third of the lands in British North America and to accommodate Loyalist refugees from the United States of America after the American Revolution. The new province remained the government of the colonial territory for the next fifty years of growth and settlement.

Upper Canada existed from 26 December 1791 to 10 February 1841 and generally comprised present-day Southern Ontario. The prefix "upper" in its name reflects its geographic position higher up the river basin or closer to the headwaters of the St. Lawrence River than that of Lower Canada or present-day Quebec to the northeast.

Upper Canada included all of modern-day southern Ontario and all those areas of northern Ontario in the pays d'en haut which had formed part of New France, essentially the watersheds of the Ottawa River, Lake Huron, and Lake Superior. It did not include any lands within the watershed of Hudson Bay.

The Province of Lower Canada (French: Province du Bas-Canada) was a British colony on the lower Saint Lawrence River and the shores of the Gulf of Saint Lawrence (1791–1841). It covered the southern portion of the modern-day Province of Quebec, Canada, and the Labrador region of the modern-day Province of Newfoundland and Labrador (until the Labrador region was transferred to Newfoundland in 1809).[1]

Re: Sun River, Lower Canada

Posted: 28 Aug 2011 10:14PM GMT
If you give the name of your ancestor - along with any other information such as his/her parents or siblings, someone may be able to add more information.
Evelyn Yvonne Theriault
A Canadian Family

Posted: 28 Aug 2011 10:38PM GMT
Surnames: Steell
Thank you for your interesting information about the political and geographical background of the 2 sections of Canada. Since the first post, I was able to find parents William H. Steell (1799, Scotland-1847, Russeltown, Quebec) and Nancy Simpson (1812, England-1842, Russeltown, Quebec) My relative is their son, George I. Steell, who was an early Montana merchant and legislator. I have not been able to confirm these parents but they are looking possible at this point. I have found a possible brother to George, named James, who lived in Helena, Montana, near the same time that George was in the state.

Re: Lower Canada STEELL,Wm H. Nancy, George I

Posted: 28 Aug 2011 11:34PM GMT
Surnames: STEELL, SIMPSON
Hi, Wm H.STEELL dcd 1847 - Nancy STEELL nee SIMPSON dcd 1842
were possible parents of
George I. STEELL - merchant and Legislator - in Montana
possible brother James STEELL

Where was George L. STEELL and James STEELL- born ?
George I. STEELL Merchant and Legislator - have you searched for I bio. - should show names of the parents etc.
When did George or James STEELL - pass away?
Registration of Death/ Long form Death Certificate - may show names of parents.
Obituary - may show some family history - names and locations of other family members at the time.

Cheers, Stella

Posted: 28 Aug 2011 11:59PM GMT
George Steell's death cert. lists William Steell and Nancy Simpson as parents but only Canada as birth place. I have not been successful in finding an obituary but did find the grave and subsequently obtained the long form death certificate. I do have an ongoing file on him with lots of Montana history so I will keep my search going. Thanks for your help.

Posted: 2 Jun 2013 10:35AM GMT
Surnames: STEELL
Are you still looking for place of birth of James Steell .... Im sure you are talking about the one born in Edinburgh who sailed to USA/Canada following his brother Fred. His relatives still live in Edinburgh. My father was also called James and he was researching the Edinburgh family and found the James who sailed.
Regards
Kathleen
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions