Search for content in message boards

Frank Charles Bates, aka Creed Bates

Frank Charles Bates, aka Creed Bates

Al Quimby (View posts)
Posted: 22 May 2004 10:06PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Bates
Can anyone who has the Harry Johnson book "A History of Anderson County, Kansas" determine if Creed Bates is mentioned therein? Bates lived in Jackson Twp., Anderson Co., in 1910 according to the 1910 US Federal Census. He was a laborer there in the "crusher" industry. I have a post regarding Bates, a former major league pitcher, on the Bates Message Board. Thanks.

Re: Frank Charles Bates, aka Creed Bates

Posted: 6 Jul 2004 6:32AM GMT
Surnames: Bates, Miller, Thompson
I don't show any information on this Bates, but I have information on another Bates who moved to Garrett, Anderson Co., KS and perhaps they're related.

Warren Bates b1886 in OH married my ggrandaunt, Laura Essie Miller b April 10, 1886 in Monroe Twp., Licking Co., OH. I show two children, Carl E Bates b Dec 1918 KS and Joe R Bates b May 01, 1922 KS d August 02, 1997 KS.

I'd like to know if there were descendents from either of these children and otherwise what information might be available about them. I have much, of course, on Laura's side of the family but all I have on the Bates side is that his mother was Eloina Thompson b 1864 and she had a sister Della b 1872.

Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Frank Charles Bates, aka Creed Bates

Al Quimby (View posts)
Posted: 6 Jul 2004 11:14AM GMT
Surnames: Bates
Creed Bates was born in Cleveland, TN, and grew up in Chattanooga, TN. His parents were from NC and GA. From 1897-1901 he pitched briefly in Dayton, OH, and Cleveland,OH, and lived in Cincinnati around 1900. By 1902 he had returned to Chattanooga. In 1909 he was convicted of vagrancy in Quincy, IL, and spent some time in jail there. He appears in the 1910 Census in Anderson Co., KS. Although he was married briefly in 1900 while living in Cincinnati, I know of no children and am not aware of any relatives from Ohio.
Thank you for your efforts.

per page

Find a board about a specific topic