Search for content in message boards

Renumbering in St. Louis?

Renumbering in St. Louis?

Posted: 1 Sep 2013 1:41AM GMT
Classification: Query
Does anyone on this list know if St. Louis undertook one or more renumberings of its houses and buildings throughout its history? I know several cities have done that over the year. A house in Rochester NY, for example, could have had one number in 1870 (e.g., 82 Monroe Avenue), another in 1892 (234 Monroe Avenue), and still another in 1912 (476 Monroe Avenue), as the city expanded.

Did St. Louis ever have a renumbering like that? If so, when? Was it universal throughout the city or limited to certain neighborhoods?

The reason I am asking is a family I am researching is living at 4314 Kennerly Avenue in St. Louis in the 1900 US census. That is almost exactly across the street from where Kennerly Temple Church of God of Christ (which is today located at 4307 Kennerly Avenue). I am trying to determine if that would have been the case in 1900.

Thanks for whatever insight you can provide.

Chris Brennan

Re: Renumbering in St. Louis?

Posted: 7 Sep 2013 3:48AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi Chris,

I am not aware of any wide-spread renumbering of homes that took place in the city, certainly not after 1900....some street name changes, but not renumbering.

Looking at google street view, it appears that a public elementary school is now located at 4312 Kennerly and takes up that whole side of the street. According to city records, this school was built in 1939, so there very well could have been a residence there in 1900.

Hope this helps!
Tim
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions