Search for content in message boards

USS Ernie Pyle

USS Ernie Pyle

Posted: 6 Mar 2006 8:51PM GMT
Classification: Query
In April '45 the Army sent me home from Europe on the USS Ernie Pyle..I am in the process of preparing a model of this ship. I have plans of her but lack information about the location of machinery and other objects on her decks and cabin sides. I would appreciate any photos that are available that show views of her. Even photos of people that have background views would be helpful.
I would not keep or destroy your pictures. They can be sent as attachments on e mails or sent to me and I will return them after I scan them.
Any information, even small, would be appreciated.

Re: USS Ernie Pyle

Bob C (View posts)
Posted: 17 Mar 2006 2:30PM GMT
David,
I don't know if this will help you. The Ernie Pyle was under the Merchant Marines and not the US Navy. It would be the SS Ernie Pyle instead of USS Ernie Pyle. If you go to google.com and type in SS Ernie Pyle Pictures it will give you some small pictures. It was used to carry refugees in 1949.
Take Care
Bob

David Bohen (View posts)
Posted: 17 Mar 2006 4:09PM GMT
Bob,
Thanks for your e-mail. Sorry about the mistake on USS vs SS.
I have Googled the Ernie Pyle plus the other fourteen ships that comprised this class (C4-S-A3) that were built by Kaiser at Richmond.
I have also Googled the 30 ships that proceed this class (C4-S-A1). These ships were simular in most respects to the A3 ships.
I have a pictures, however, only a few show deck detail.
Some of the pictures I have (taken from a distance) raise more questions than answers.
For the record, all of the C4-S-A3 ships had first names of Marine and their last names were Tiger, Shark, Caardinal, Falcon, Flasher, Jumper, Serpent, Carp, Lynx, Marlin, Phoenix, Adder and Swallow.
The Ernie Pyle was the only ship that ded not have Marine in its' name.
The C4-S-A1 ships all had a first name of Gereral.
Bob, again, thanks for your input and observations. I'll try not to make the same mistake.
Dave

Posted: 31 Jul 2012 2:59AM GMT
Bob,

You are indeed corrct on that. My grandfather got out of Poland in 1946 onboard the Ernie Pyle.

Posted: 20 May 2013 7:07AM GMT
Classification: Immigration
MY GRANDMOTHER AS WELL BOB CAME TO THE U.S FROM POLAND ON THIS SHIP BUT I CANT FIND ANYTHING ABOUT THE ERNIE PYLE CARRYING PASSENGERS. POSSIBLY IM JUST LOOKING IN THE WRONG PLACE? BY THE WAY BOB...WHAT WAS YOUR GRANDFATHERS NAME THAT CAME OVER???

Posted: 20 May 2013 6:58PM GMT
Manifests for the Ernie Pyle are on ancestry but must be searched by name. What was the name you are looking for. Don

Posted: 21 May 2013 6:49PM GMT
Seems my reply got attached to the wrong post. Ancestry does have manifests for the Ernie Pyle, they must be searched by name. What name are you looking for? Don

Posted: 21 May 2013 6:49PM GMT
Seems my reply got attached to the wrong post. Ancestry does have manifests for the Ernie Pyle, they must be searched by name. What name are you looking for? Don

Posted: 21 May 2013 7:00PM GMT
I am looking for records, such as dates, who paid, members etc.

Posted: 17 Jun 2014 5:23AM GMT
Hello DBohen,
My family and I arrived in New York on the Ernie Pyle September 21, 1947 as Displaced Persons. If you are still working on the model, I'll be glad to mail you a photocopy of a small photo that shows some children on deck. Don't know that it will help much, but maybe a smidgeon. Send me your mailing address (actual mail, not e mail.)
I am in the process of writing a memoir and would greatly appreciate hearing from you about the sleeping quarters. All I remember is that there were a lot of bunks, below deck. Don't remember that there were cabins.
Maybe you would also tell me a little about your trip home in 1945? If you're willing, I will call you if you give me your phone.
I just read a collection of columns by Ernie Pyle. The name meant nothing to me in 1947, I was a kid and knew nothing of the war from the American side. (We are from Lithuania.) As it turned out, I too became a reporter.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic