Search for content in message boards

Ellison Mounts

Ellison Mounts

Julie & Connie (View posts)
Posted: 15 Jan 2004 12:18AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 15 Jan 2004 5:48PM GMT
Surnames: Mounts, Hatfield, Ward
Help! My Mom and I are trying to trace all ties to Ellison "Cotton Top" Mounts and further. No one has been able to find out anything about his family other then illegitimate son of Ellison Hatfield. My grandfather was McDay Mounts 1 brother Lonnie Mounts Jr. and 1 sister Irene Mounts ? Also we were woundering about our ties to the Ward family. Any information on family past and present would be helpful.
Thank you

Re: Ellison Mounts

zack mounts (View posts)
Posted: 4 Feb 2004 2:20AM GMT
Edited: 4 Feb 2004 1:33PM GMT
Surnames: Mounts
my name is zack mounts my dads name is cliff mounts my papaws name was carl mounts and my great grandpa's name was drewy marshall mounts im just trying to find out some of my family history email me if you know anything

Julie&Connie (View posts)
Posted: 5 Feb 2004 9:25PM GMT
Edited: 6 Feb 2004 2:26PM GMT
Surnames: Mounts, Ward
I asked my Mom about those names. She doesn't know them. My grandfather is a Mounts. We're trying to find relatives (Wards). The only thing we really know is , he alway's told us he was related to Ellison "Cotton Top" Mounts. We haven't been able to find anyone before my grandfather's mother. Everything starts and stops with her. We want to at least trace back to Cotton Top. I wish I could help you.Grandfather's mother was Eunice Ward, married name.Don't know her maiden name she died in child birth .Very young. Any infor would be helpful as well.
Thank You for replying.
Good luck
Julie B.

Julie&Connie (View posts)
Posted: 5 Feb 2004 9:30PM GMT
Edited: 6 Feb 2004 2:26PM GMT
My Grandfather had a brother Lonnie Jr.{deceased} and a sister we're not sure if she's still a live. Her name is Irene Mount's. Don't know what her married name would be.
Julie

Posted: 30 Nov 2004 3:50PM GMT
Edited: 12 Mar 2006 2:37PM GMT
Name: McDay Mounts
SSN: 235-22-8450
Last Residence: 44105 Cleveland, Cuyahoga, Ohio, United States of America
Born: 27 Feb 1925
Died: 14 Jul 1992
State (Year) SSN issued: West Virginia (Before 1951 )

Name: Lonnie Mounts
SSN: 234-28-6317
Last Residence: 25882 Mullens, Wyoming, West Virginia, United States of America
Born: 28 Sep 1923
Died: Oct 1976
State (Year) SSN issued: West Virginia (Before 1951 )

Bob Daniels (View posts)
Posted: 14 Dec 2004 4:18PM GMT
Edited: 15 Dec 2004 3:42PM GMT
Surnames: Hatfield, Mounts, McCoy, Elkins, Grimmett
Sorry this is not the most timely reply, but I just now came across your posting about family ties to Ellison Mounts. I’ve gathered some information about him and his family from various sources over the past couple of years because of my interest in his role in the feud. In my opinion, he and Roseanna McCoy were the two most unfortunate – and saddest – victims of the feud.

Anyhow, here is what I’ve learned. Ellison was the illegitimate son of Ellison Hatfield and Harriet Hatfield, who was a daughter of John and Isabelle (Vance) Hatfield. Ellison Hatfield and Harriet Hatfield, then, were first cousins. Ellison “Cotton Top” Mounts, who was born in 1864, evidently took the Mounts name when his mother married Daniel Mounts in 1867. Little has been published about Ellison Mounts’ life beyond his role in the feud – the paw-paw tree killings and the New Year’s morning raid on the McCoy home among them – and his hanging in Pikeville, Ky., on Feb. 18, 1890.

The fact is, he was married at the time of his death. He married Rebecca Justice, a daughter of Joab and Elizabeth (Ferrell) Justice on either Dec. 1 or Dec. 25, 1882. According to the 1880 census, Rebecca was living in the home of Elias Hatfield, was listed as servant and her age given as 36. In the same year, Ellison Mounts was living in the home of Daniel Mounts and his age was given as 16 – so there was a big age disparity, as you can see, and this raises some questions in my mind. There is no record of their having had children.

Also, Ellison Mounts had a brother, George, whose name is recorded as both George Hatfield and George Mounts. I’ve found George Hatfield the more common use of his name. He is also believed by some to have been an illegitimate son of Harriet Hatfield and Ellison Hatfield. George Hatfield or Mounts married Risby Elkins on April 16, 1888. Now, a mystery appears. Barely 18 months later, Risby Hatfield – listed as a widow – marries a James G. Grimmett, who was single, on Nov. 15, 1889, in Logan County, W. Va. A widow? What happened to George and what (or who) was the cause of his death? No clue. Also, note that Risby’s marriage to Mr. Grimmett occurs three months almost to the day before Ellison Mounts was hanged, although who can say if that’s significant? Another coincidence is that some researchers believe Harriet Hatfield Mounts might have been married to a man named Grimmett before she married Daniel Mounts.

One last point. Local (Pikeville, Ky.) legend has it that Harriet Hatfield Mounts died on the day her son was hanged as she traveled on horseback over the mountains to see Ellison for the last time. In fact, that is the belief among many people to this day. However, a couple of reliable researchers say she actually lived in Bruno, W. Va., until her death by natural causes in 1916.

Hope this is helpful.

Posted: 29 May 2012 10:08PM GMT
off topic but i think we are related somehow...my great grandfather, monroe mounts,his father was a mounts and his mother was a hatfield!:D

Posted: 30 May 2012 3:06AM GMT
who was your great grandfather married to? My uncle was Monroe Mounts and my grandmother was a hatfield....Did he have any brothers and sisters? Do you know their names?

Posted: 30 May 2012 3:37PM GMT
My Grandfather was also a Mounts,His name was Ransom Mounts, He was born in Pike County Kentucky 1921, He had only Brothers, Monroe,Dewey, & Luster. I have been trying for years to put together the family tree

Posted: 3 Jun 2012 3:16AM GMT
Norma Hedrick. Not sure last name is spelled correct. Same area Mingo Co. Logan Co. Grandfather had a brother Lonnie, sister Irene
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions