Search for content in message boards

Etiquette? On family tree.

Etiquette? On family tree.

Posted: 6 Apr 2012 12:46AM GMT
Classification: Query
Is there some kind of standard. As far to what you post on your family tree?
I mean if the persons children were still alive is it bad form to post this kind of information?

I know its kind of a vague question but I actually have a folder of several people that have sorted pasts.

Any thoughts on this>?

Re: Etiquette? On family tree.

Posted: 3 Oct 2012 7:13PM GMT
since no one has replied yet, I hope you are still wondering about this and that I may be able to help. In the end, when it comes to a sordid past, it's all up to you personally. If the information is publicly available, like a criminal record, whether you add it or not doesn't keep others from finding it. On the other hand, public or not, it may hurt the living descendants emotionally to have it staring them in the face. I have a news article on a deceased relative that can be found easily by anyone looking for this relative. I have it in my offline records, but not my tree because I share that online tree with relatives who don't know the story and their parents have requested that they not find out about it. I see no issue with them knowing, but I accept the personal wishes of my family as in the end telling the story or not telling the story makes no nevermind to me. By keeping their confidence, I've been given greater detail about the incident since they know I'm not trying to air the dirty laundry. I've also used the article as an example for other in the know relatives to show them that I may find things they'd rather keep secret and telling me about them now rather than trying to get me to remove it from my shared tree later when I find it on my own will be better for them.

Re: Etiquette? On family tree.

Posted: 28 Nov 2013 12:25AM GMT
Remember that living people cannot be seen by others even if the tree is public. Explicit permission must be individually granted for anyone except the tree owner for viewing living people.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions