Search for content in message boards

rootsmagic

Posted: 26 Sep 2012 9:15AM GMT
Classification: Query
hi i have fammily tree maker at the momment but im very tempted by roots magic but ive been told you cant use it with ancestry uk ,if you can how do you do it im afraid im a novice with computers and would be glad of some help many thanks sue

Re: rootsmagic

Posted: 8 Oct 2012 2:50AM GMT
RootsMagic has a WebSearch feature with which you can search the following sites:
Ancestry
Ancestry Message Boards
Family Search
Find A Grave
Fold3
GenealogyBank
Google
Bing
RootsWeb
World Vital Records
Yahoo

Those are the "standard" sites. You can also set up "Custom Search Providers" very simply.

I have never used FTM, so have no idea how you "use" it with any version of Ancestry.

Posted: 22 Nov 2012 12:14AM GMT
If you are looking for a program that you can automatically "feed" information from Ancestry.com into, you're pretty much stuck with FTM.

However, RootsMagic 6 was just released a couple of days ago and as danders0n said, you can use WebSearch to find stuff on genealogy websites. But you can also utilize the "webtags" in the program, which enable you to copy/paste the URL for ANY webpage and link it to your person.

There are several other new features in the new version:
Enhanced (editable) Timeline View
Online Publishing (to a RootsMagic-hosted website or your own)
County Check
Find Everywhere

Plus, it still has all the awesome stuff in RM5.

I used FTM for years. Once I found RootsMagic, I never looked back.

Posted: 2 Feb 2013 10:03PM GMT
Like you said, FTM is the only program that you can feed info from ancestry.com. I've been looking at reviews for FTM, however, and they are not very good.

If one is using another genealogy software, say RootsMagic 6, does that mean that all the data that I have in ancestry.com would need to be entered into that program? If one were to do that, is there a reason to keep ancestry.com?

Posted: 2 Feb 2013 11:31PM GMT
You can import a GEDCOM from Ancestry to RootsMagic. Unfortunately, images and documents won't transfer via GEDCOM, so you'll want to make sure you've saved all those documents to your hard drive or the cloud (I recommend the cloud, especially if you're switching to RM) before you delete your tree or anything drastic like that.

Unless your Ancestry tree is super-humongous, I honestly would recommend inputting your data one person at a time, adding media and source citations as you go. I did this when I switched from FTM. Yes, it will take a long time, but you'll be amazed at some of the stuff you'll find that should (or shouldn't) be in there. Plus, the citations created by Ancestry aren't always formatted according to Evidence Explained, and this way you can ensure that they will be (RootsMagic's source templates are based on Evidence Explained).

Posted: 3 Feb 2013 6:36PM GMT
Thanks. I know I have some stuff in my ancestry.com file that needs to be looked at, so it would be good to start over. I remember once when I was converting from a dos version of a church administration software to the windows version of it that it was better to begin all over than to import.

Once I get all my material off of ancestry.com, is there a reason to keep ancestry.com? Are the search features worth the money?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic